+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LIVE-IN CAREGIVER APPLYING FOR OPEN WORK PERMIT AND PR WITH SPOUSE AND CHILD

GyannahAntoine

Star Member
Aug 9, 2014
Hello everyone! I need your help. Please do answer my questions and share what you know regarding my situation.

I am currently a Live-In Caregiver and my work permit will expire by the end of June 2016.

1. How many months ahead do I have to renew my work permit before its expiration? No need to het anotjer LMIA, right?
2. After I have completed the required time, I am allowed to apply for OWP and PR at the same time, right?
3. Can I include my husband and 2 year-old daughter in applying for the Open Work permit? So they are with me in Canada while PR is processing?
4. Should I change my status before applying for OPW and PR? Because my status was single before entering Canada.
5. Can I also include my parents in applying for PR?

Your answer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help you with a few questions:

3. No - you cannot include your husband and child in the open work permit application. Once you have an open work permit, if you are able to secure a skilled full time job (i.e. NOC A, B, or 0), your husband can then apply for a spousal open work permit so that he and your child can join you in Canada.
4. Just indicate that you are married in the PR and OWP applications. You don't need to contact CIC to change your status.
5. No - you cannot include your parents in the PR application. They are not dependents.

Dimi2015

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
BC
LANDED..........
04-2018
GyannahAntoine said:
Hello everyone! I need your help. Please do answer my questions and share what you know regarding my situation.

I am currently a Live-In Caregiver and my work permit will expire by the end of June 2016.

1. How many months ahead do I have to renew my work permit before its expiration? No need to het anotjer LMIA, right?

I was advised to submit my open work permit and pr application atleast 1 MONTH before my current work permit expires. But as long as they, the CIC received your application before the date your work permit expires, it's fine. You will be on IMPLIED STATUS then... BUT you must work and on the same conditions as your current wprk permit and you should NOT leave Canada until a decision has been made.

2. After I have completed the required time, I am allowed to apply for OWP and PR at the same time, right?

Yes. Its a must that you submit the 2 application. OWP and PR.

3. Can I include my husband and 2 year-old daughter in applying for the Open Work permit? So they are with me in Canada while PR is processing?

Sorry, you cant. :(

4. Should I change my status before applying for OPW and PR? Because my status was single before entering Canada.

Ill pm you with regards to this.

Sorry, you cant :(

But your parents info will be part of your PR Application. The form is called ADDITIONAL FAMILY INFORMATION

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
GyannahAntoine said:

1. I am a live in caregiver too and I applied for extension of my work permit 3 months before its expiration date. It's been 5 months by now and I still have not received the extension. Apply NOW, it's taking very long. There's no advantages in being on implied status. Avoid it if you can. No need to get a new LMIA.

sssV

Sep 29, 2015
Hi Guys, just want to ask if anyone here experienced to apply their OWP renewal 4mos before it expire then decided to go home for a vacation in the Philippines since current OWP and Visa is still valid?

I am getting confused now whether should I apply before I go home or after I come back from my vacation but the problem is by the time I get back here then I will be close to the expiration date and I checked that processing time by paper takes up to 120 days and I don't want to have an implied status. My OWP visa is expiring in August 15, 2016 and I am thinking of going home last week of April to May 15. My question is, If I will renew my owp first week of April and go home will it be a problem? Or it doesn’t matter since I still have a valid work permit and visa.

Thank you in advance!