+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Literally what are my chances? Please Advice!!

abc30

Dec 4, 2012
I have been a PR for 3 years now. Throughout the time I was a PR, I was outside Canada for almost a year to complete my Masters. Now when I punch in my number in the residency calculator, it tells me that I meet the basic requirements but not the physical presence. It says that a citizenship judge needs to make a decision on my application.
What are my chances in getting the citizenship without having to make up the days I was outside the country? Please advice.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your chances are zero.

You need physical presence (3 years out of the last 4 years) to qualify for residency. Basic residency counts for nothing. If you don't meet the physical residency requirements, your application will ultimately be refused.

Don't apply until you meet the physical residency requirements. That's the best advice any of us here can give.

abc30

Dec 4, 2012
Based on the CIC website, it says only a citizenship judge can determine if I qualify or not. Doesn't that refer that there might be chance?

kingmaker

Star Member
Feb 21, 2008
abc30 said:
Based on the CIC website, it says only a citizenship judge can determine if I qualify or not. Doesn't that refer that there might be chance?
this is what CIC says...................................................................................................

Residence in Canada

To become Canadian citizens, adults must have resided in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children under the age of 18 do not need to meet this requirement.

You may be able to count time you spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident if that time falls within the four-year period.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
abc30 said:
If you're missing a day or two - a judge might give you a pass. It sounds like you're missing substantially more than that - so you're guaranteed a refusal.

The advice we give everyone here is don't apply even a day early. Make sure you have the full 1095 days of residency over the past four years when you submit your application (preferably a few days more just in case you miscounted). The info on the CIC site may say one thing. However what practically happens is that people without sufficient residency days are flat out refused. And no - it doesn't matter why you were out of the country. This is irrelevant for citizenship purposes.

Keep in mind that since you are missing days, your application will take more like 3-4 years (rather than 2) to process. It's a long time to wait just to be refused. You can then expect any subsequent application you file to take longer too due to the first refusal.

It's obviously up to you...

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abc30 said:
I have been a PR for 3 years now. Throughout the time I was a PR, I was outside Canada for almost a year to complete my Masters. Now when I punch in my number in the residency calculator, it tells me that I meet the basic requirements but not the physical presence. It says that a citizenship judge needs to make a decision on my application.
What are my chances in getting the citizenship without having to make up the days I was outside the country? Please advice.
Thanks

Don't apply you dont have enough time as requested. Please note the word they are using on CIC website "MUST" adults must have resided in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) "

Dont waste your time.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Residence is not actually defined in the Citizenship Act but substantive case law shows that applying with less than 1095 of physical presence is a challenge. Depending on the level of establishment in Canada some applicants are approved without 1095 days of physical presence in the 4 years but they have usually been in Canada for a lengthy period of time.

IMHO the OP unless he has extensive non PR time in Canada prior to his PR attainment has next to nil chances of success. Also as has been pointed the application will get placed in a 'see a citizenship judge' path that will add 12-18 months to the processing times.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
True, sometimes people are approved with less than 1095 days in the past 4 years. However, those are people who can convince a judge that they should get citizenship anyway. That means strong ties to Canada and a good reason why they can't meet the residency requirements. A good example may be a person who lives and pays taxes in Canada and has family in Canada but because of their job, they travel so much that they will never be able to meet the 1095 requirement.

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
just live in canada until you have 1095 days of physical presence. despite the law only requires residence, but the government is streching the meaning of the law. if you don't have 1095 days of physical presence, you will for sure get residence questionnaire. you might have to wait at least 2 extra years for this RQ be processed and your citizenship approval is still uncertain. it is better just to have 1095 days of physical presence and your approval can be garanteed.