+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter from CRA for proof of residency for CTB

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
They will be looking for physical proof (eye witness) that the person(s) in question were physically in Canada. A rental or tenancy agreement doesn’t provide that proof (you could rent a dwelling, but never actually live there as long as you pay rent). Pay stubs, bank deposits/withdrawals, credit/ debit card transactions in Canada.

razza_123

Nov 29, 2013
They will be looking for physical proof (eye witness) that the person(s) in question were physically in Canada. A rental or tenancy agreement doesn’t provide that proof (you could rent a dwelling, but never actually live there as long as you pay rent). Pay stubs, bank deposits/withdrawals, credit/ debit card transactions in Canada.
Thanks a lot for your reply. One thing I like to ask you as CRA asked for the letter from Landlord as a proof of residency having the following information
- The address of the property you rented
- The dates you rented the property
- The name & telephone number of the person who received the payments
Can you please guide me the format of the letter from Landlord or any website from where I can get the format of this letter.
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for your reply. One thing I like to ask you as CRA asked for the letter from Landlord as a proof of residency having the following information
- The address of the property you rented
- The dates you rented the property
- The name & telephone number of the person who received the payments
Can you please guide me the format of the letter from Landlord or any website from where I can get the format of this letter.
Thanks
The letter can be very simple and state exactly what you have stated. They will want to call your landlord to ask them more questions. Another option to include will be a note from your family physician with the dates your family attended appointments. Basically they will want proof that you and your children have been living in Canada. If you haven't been in Canada you should admit it now and make arrangements to pay back the money. The longer you wait the more problems.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Hi All,

Not sure whether anyone had this situation.

I received a letter from CRA that I (My wife as she is receiving Child tax benefits) will need to provide letters from landlord, from school for the attendance record for my kids as a part of random audits for CTB beneficiaries. If we fail to provide proofs, CRA stating that it may stop CTB payments.

we are living as PR holders for 2 years, but my wife and kids went back to India for 8 months for some family functions and other issues.

Now I can get the letters they have stayed with me and from schools. For that 8 months spent at India, I'm going to tell them that they were not here at Canada.

Does anyone had this situation before? CRA will ask us to pay the amounts back for those 8 months or whole 2 years?

Can anyone guide please?

Thanks in advance.
I am in the very same situation now and received the same letter. They are asking for letter from landlord for the mother and letter from doctor for the baby with mothers name and dates the doctor saw her. In addition bank statements, insurance statements, license insurance etc. are asked for.

My baby was born in March 2022 and they are asking for a review from April 2022 to present. Neither of us three left Canada except for two short visits to India of 1 month each. To take care of the baby, wife is not working yet.

Are we ineligible for benefits ? My wife has filed all tax returns from 2020.

I am having a hard time getting the letters. The landlord gave a letter in letterhead, but she refused to put her name there saying they always do like this and should be fine with CRA. CRA also need a letter from the doctor and over the phone he also refused to give it. I am planning to go there personally and cry before him.

Can we submit any alternate proof of stay in Canada ? I have asked for record of OHIP claims. Can this be submitted instead ? Also my baby had a lot of hospital visits and the notes are available for download from a secure site (Mychart). Does CRA accept these ?

Also we have a large number of photographs at famous locations in Canada like Niagara falls, CN tower etc with the baby in different stages of her growth. Will these serve as any proof ? Is it worth sending that ? I also have large number of videos of each stage of baby's growth and can prove that we were in Canada except for the two months home.

I am very stressed from receiving this letter. I feel like I am being punished and getting very hopeless now (Even thought of leaving Canada :'( ). Can anyone please give me advice on what to do ? We are not in a position to pay back approx $10,000 child benefit we received.

@shri_boss, @decentbunty, @physioyadav13, @razza_123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the very same situation now and received the same letter. They are asking for letter from landlord for the mother and letter from doctor for the baby with mothers name and dates the doctor saw her. In addition bank statements, insurance statements, license insurance etc. are asked for.

My baby was born in March 2022 and they are asking for a review from April 2022 to present. Neither of us three left Canada except for two short visits to India of 1 month each. To take care of the baby, wife is not working yet.

Are we ineligible for benefits ? My wife has filed all tax returns from 2020.

I am having a hard time getting the letters. The landlord gave a letter in letterhead, but she refused to put her name there saying they always do like this and should be fine with CRA. CRA also need a letter from the doctor and over the phone he also refused to give it. I am planning to go there personally and cry before him.

Can we submit any alternate proof of stay in Canada ? I have asked for record of OHIP claims. Can this be submitted instead ? Also my baby had a lot of hospital visits and the notes are available for download from a secure site (Mychart). Does CRA accept these ?

Also we have a large number of photographs at famous locations in Canada like Niagara falls, CN tower etc with the baby in different stages of her growth. Will these serve as any proof ? Is it worth sending that ? I also have large number of videos of each stage of baby's growth and can prove that we were in Canada except for the two months home.

I am very stressed from receiving this letter. I feel like I am being punished and getting very hopeless now (Even thought of leaving Canada :'( ). Can anyone please give me advice on what to do ? We are not in a position to pay back approx $10,000 child benefit we received.

@shri_boss, @decentbunty, @physioyadav13, @razza_123
Normally you have to go to a doctor’s office and also pay for a letter since it is not covered by provincial insurance in order for a physician to provide a letter indicating when you have had visits. Are neither parent working and if not when was the last time they were employed. What is the status of the father and why have they not filed tax returns? CRA is wondering whether your family is in Canada if your wife is not working and you have not filed taxes so may also not been working. Because of this there are concerns that the family may not be in Canada or may not be spending all their time in Canada. If spending all their time in Canada the concern will be how is this family supporting itself. You seem to be without maxing out the amount your can receive for CCB or pretty close so there may be concern that the father’s income is not being factored into the calculation. Even international income must be declared. Would be honest and show how much time your wife and child have been out of Canada with proof of tickets. Submit your tax returns or show significant savings that is allowing your wife to not work. What province do you live in?

Last edited:

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Normally you have to go to a doctor’s office and also pay for a letter since it is not covered by provincial insurance in order for a physician to provide a letter indicating when you have had visits. Are neither parent working and if not when was the last time they were employed. What is the status on the father and why have they not filed tax returns? CRA is wondering whether your family is in Canada if your wife is not working and you have not filed taxes so may also not been working. Because of this there are concerns that the family may not be in Canada or may not be spending all their time in Canada. Would be honest and show how much time your wife and child have been out of Canada with proof of tickets. Submit your tax returns or show significant savings that is allowing your wife to not work. What province do you live in?
Thanks @canuck78

1. I am working as an engineer (not self employed) and my wife is not working for the last two years (Since Sep 2021). I am supporting the family on my sole income now.
2. My (father) status is Citizen. I became citizen in December 2022. Was PR before that.
3. I have filed taxes for all years beginning with 2018. My wife has similarly filed all taxes from 2020.
4. We live in Ontario.

We were living in Canada except for two months which were two short visits to home country in India. I have nothing to hide and I was honest in the whole process. We do not have significant savings, but my salary can support a family of three. I can show proof from my employer about my salary. Would this be acceptable in lieu of the savings you asked for ? The real pain is to get letter from doctor and others. I am just wondering if CRA will accept photos as proof for time spent in Canada. I can show a lot of proof there month by month (or even day by day).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks @canuck78

1. I am working as an engineer (not self employed) and my wife is not working for the last two years (Since Sep 2021). I am supporting the family on my sole income now.
2. My (father) status is Citizen. I became citizen in December 2022. Was PR before that.
3. I have filed taxes for all years beginning with 2018. My wife has similarly filed all taxes from 2020.
4. We live in Ontario.

We were living in Canada except for two months which were two short visits to home country in India. I have nothing to hide and I was honest in the whole process. We do not have significant savings, but my salary can support a family of three. I can show proof from my employer about my salary. Would this be acceptable in lieu of the savings you asked for ? The real pain is to get letter from doctor and others. I am just wondering if CRA will accept photos as proof for time spent in Canada. I can show a lot of proof there month by month (or even day by day).
Photos / videos will not be accepted as proof.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Photos / videos will not be accepted as proof.
That is disheartening to know. If we do not get letter from the doctor, will OHIP medical history be accepted as proof ? I have already asked for OHIP medical records of my wife and kid. My kid had medical problems and had extensively visited hospitals. Will this OHIP record be of help ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That is disheartening to know. If we do not get letter from the doctor, will OHIP medical history be accepted as proof ? I have already asked for OHIP medical records of my wife and kid. My kid had medical problems and had extensively visited hospitals. Will this OHIP record be of help ?
The OHIP record should absolutely help.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks to all

Somehow I was able to get the required letter from the doctor and also from the hospital. I also got the help for a CPA now. Planning to send the documents soon

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks @canuck78

4. We live in Ontario.

Has your spouse been declaring your income (ie total family income) in order for level of benefits to be determined? Your father’s status has nothing to do with this. You should be aware that OHIP has residency requirements. For the first year you must be in Canada for the first 5 out of 6 months, 6 out of 12 months and make Ontario your permanent home in order to be eligible to OHIP. I’m order to qualify for OHIP you need a valid OHIP card but also must meet the residency requirements. You can receive reports from your doctors or submit proof that you can find on your patient portal but you should expect to need to pay for a doctor’s letter confirming when were seen by the doctor. Doctors can not bill OHIP for the time that it takes to write a doctor’s letter so they typically bill the patient. It seems as though the medical records primary show that your child has been in Canada not your wife. As already indicated photos and videos aren’t acceptable. Financial records like bank or credit card statements that show regular transactions in Canada will also help and may provide more proof the your wife has been in Canada.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Has your spouse been declaring your income (ie total family income) in order for level of benefits to be determined? Your father’s status has nothing to do with this. You should be aware that OHIP has residency requirements. For the first year you must be in Canada for the first 5 out of 6 months, 6 out of 12 months and make Ontario your permanent home in order to be eligible to OHIP. I’m order to qualify for OHIP you need a valid OHIP card but also must meet the residency requirements. You can receive reports from your doctors or submit proof that you can find on your patient portal but you should expect to need to pay for a doctor’s letter confirming when were seen by the doctor. Doctors can not bill OHIP for the time that it takes to write a doctor’s letter so they typically bill the patient. It seems as though the medical records primary show that your child has been in Canada not your wife. As already indicated photos and videos aren’t acceptable. Financial records like bank or credit card statements that show regular transactions in Canada will also help and may provide more proof the your wife has been in Canada.
Hi @canuck78

Yes all income are declared. By father I meant myself as father of the baby, sorry for the misunderstanding.

We are fully resident in Ontario. We have not left ON except for 2 months after March 2022 when baby was born. I hope OHIP is not affected

Thankfully the doctor agreed to provide letter. I have also got letter from the hospital. So now I have two letters.

Yes I paid the doctor separately for this.

Yes it is correct that the medical records show my child was in Canada whole time. My wife had only intermittent appointments. However her bank card has lot of transactions as she was buying groceries at local stores like Walmart, No Frills etc.

Should I provide any additional letter indicating the situation and asking the officer to go through the bank statement ?

I am pretty stressed about the situation. Should I go to an accountant or do it ourselves ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @canuck78

Yes all income are declared. By father I meant myself as father of the baby, sorry for the misunderstanding.

We are fully resident in Ontario. We have not left ON except for 2 months after March 2022 when baby was born. I hope OHIP is not affected

Thankfully the doctor agreed to provide letter. I have also got letter from the hospital. So now I have two letters.

Yes I paid the doctor separately for this.

Yes it is correct that the medical records show my child was in Canada whole time. My wife had only intermittent appointments. However her bank card has lot of transactions as she was buying groceries at local stores like Walmart, No Frills etc.

Should I provide any additional letter indicating the situation and asking the officer to go through the bank statement ?

I am pretty stressed about the situation. Should I go to an accountant or do it ourselves ?
That proof should be fine. I don’t see a need for a letter from your bank if you have statements. As long as you didn’t leave Ontario for over a month in the first 6 months of life your child is compliant with their OHIP residency requirement.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
It seems as though the medical records primary show that your child has been in Canada not your wife.
@canuck78 , this is a excerpt from your previous post which is true in my case. My wife went to the doctor only occasionally and there are large gaps between visits. Will this be a red flag ? Can her bank statements alone cover this part ?