+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zabidin said:
Hello Everyone,

If anyone knows the detailed explanation of applying for TRV, please share it with me. I would like to apply for it next week. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day!
Zabidin,

1- Apply online by signing into your MyCIC account. Click on Continue to GCKey at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp

2 - Once you've signed into your CIC account, click on Visitor visa, study and/or work permit.

3 - Under I don't have PRC, click on Determine your eligibility and apply online for visitor visa, study and/or work permit.

4 - Proceed by answering the questionnaire slowly and correctly. Answer the questions carefully.

5 - After the eligibility process in 3 and 4 above, your required documents for TRV application will include;
i) Passport copy,
ii) Digital photo,
iii) Form IMM5257E (the form is the same as that for outland)
iv) PGWP copy

6 - Processing fee is $100 (Payable online during submission).

This TRV process is the easiest and less confusing. Good luck. Happy New Year and congratulations on receiving your PGWP!

Cheers!

omolola

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
can one still applied under CEC category if the person been working before one finished their degree or it has to based on after completetion of work done after getting PGWP

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omolola said:
can one still applied under CEC category if the person been working before one finished their degree or it has to based on after completetion of work done after getting PGWP
Omolola,

Unfortunately work experience during studies or co-op doesn't apply. The CEC work experience requirement is based on working after graduation with a PGWP.

Cheers!

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
jubear said:
Omolola,

Unfortunately work experience during studies or co-op doesn't apply. The CEC work experience requirement is based on working after graduation with a PGWP.

Cheers!
How about work experience gained under implied status?

ruue

Nov 20, 2015
Hello,

I just wanted to find out if currently have a PGWP that is valid but you want to further your studies is it possible to apply for a study permit. That is i.e hold a post graduate permit and also apply for study permit as l want to start my masters but the PGWP does not allow me

Please advice

Thank You

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tosinosho1992 said:
How about work experience gained under implied status?
Tosinosho1992,

I don't think that would apply either. This is because CIC takes into account when your PGWP was issued (in other words legal status to work) and when you actually started working.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ruue said:
Hello,

I just wanted to find out if currently have a PGWP that is valid but you want to further your studies is it possible to apply for a study permit. That is i.e hold a post graduate permit and also apply for study permit as l want to start my masters but the PGWP does not allow me

Please advice

Thank You
Ruue,

Unfortunately you cannot hold both a PGWP and SP. Having said that, you still have the right to apply for a SP. However, you will automatically forfeit your PGWP and your right to work full time. This means that once you start your Masters program, you must study full time and only work 20hrs/week.

A word of caution: A PGWP is a one-time opportunity WP. You will not be able to apply for a PGWP in future after your Masters because you already have one.

Cheers!

shubham710

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
Toronto
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Job Offer........
Yes
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
4 December 2013
LANDED..........
19 December 2013
This is bit confusing
because according to this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/cec/work.asp

Note: Work experience acquired while under implied status will be considered as eligible work experience under the CEC, provided the applicant continued to work in Canada under the same conditions as their original work permit until a decision was made on their application for a work permit extension

jubear said:
Tosinosho1992,

I don't think that would apply either. This is because CIC takes into account when your PGWP was issued (in other words legal status to work) and when you actually started working.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shubham710 said:
This is bit confusing
because according to this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/cec/work.asp

Note: Work experience acquired while under implied status will be considered as eligible work experience under the CEC, provided the applicant continued to work in Canada under the same conditions as their original work permit until a decision was made on their application for a work permit extension
Shubham710,

It comes down to interpretation. See the words(s) I've put in bold and underlined within the blue paragraph.

Note: Work experience acquired while under implied status will be considered as eligible work experience under the CEC, provided the applicant continued to work in Canada under the same conditions as their original work permit until a decision was made on their application for a work permit extension.

Remember a PGWP can not be extended unless it was only issued up until the applicant's passport expiry date and they were specifically told they can extend it after renewing the passport. Now, the words "original work permit" may apply in this case and will be referring to the original PGWP before the extension. However, they DO NOT apply to the period of implied status before the applicant received the original PGWP.

Furthermore, the bold and underlined words may also refer to the implied status under the bridge open work permit (BOWP) program. Depending on when one applies for PR, applicants have to make sure that their temporary status is valid. This means that either the applicant still has PGWP status or they've applied for a BOWP before they apply for PR. That situation puts the applicant under implied status and legally able to work.

Therefore, its imperative that applicants strategize, analyze how long they've worked, the time remaining on their PGWP, and decide if they need to apply for a BOWP before applying for PR.

I hope that clears the confusion.

Cheers!

pankaj281

Star Member
Dec 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jubear said:
Shubham710,

It comes down to interpretation. See the words(s) I've put in bold and underlined within the blue paragraph.

Note: Work experience acquired while under implied status will be considered as eligible work experience under the CEC, provided the applicant continued to work in Canada under the same conditions as their original work permit until a decision was made on their application for a work permit extension.

Remember a PGWP can not be extended unless it was only issued up until the applicant's passport expiry date and they were specifically told they can extend it after renewing the passport. Now, the words "original work permit" may apply in this case and will be referring to the original PGWP before the extension. However, they DO NOT apply to the period of implied status before the applicant received the original PGWP.

Furthermore, the bold and underlined words may also refer to the implied status under the bridge open work permit (BOWP) program. Depending on when one applies for PR, applicants have to make sure that their temporary status is valid. This means that either the applicant still has PGWP status or they've applied for a BOWP before they apply for PR. That situation puts the applicant under implied status and legally able to work.

Therefore, its imperative that applicants strategize, analyze how long they've worked, the time remaining on their PGWP, and decide if they need to apply for a BOWP before applying for PR.

Cheers!
That is very informative.
I also want to bring it up that it says 'same conditions as original work permit'. Does this mean same working hours such as full time or part time?
As a student can work full time after applying pgwp and can do the same after pgwp is issued, therefore, doesn't the conditions remain the same?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pankaj281 said:
That is very informative.
I also want to bring it up that it says 'same conditions as original work permit'. Does this mean same working hours such as full time or part time?
Pankaj281,

Conditions DO NOT refer to working hours. Conditions refer to those statements that were written on the applicant's PGWP document. So check your PGWP to see those statements. They might include things such as: no studying, no working in sex related jobs, document does not authorize re-entry, etc.

As a student can work full time after applying pgwp and can do the same after pgwp is issued, therefore, doesn't the conditions remain the same?
SP conditions are different. They may include things such as: studying full time, may accept work at the academic institution, must leave the country after expiry date, etc. Again check your SP document to see the statements written under conditions. Under implied status, you can work full time or part time while waiting for the PGWP. Once you receive the PGWP, check the conditions.

See my other replies on page 207 of the forum to know more about the requirements for CEC. I hope that helps.

Cheers!

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
jubear said:
Shubham710,

Cheers!
Good job Jubear. A study permit also carries the right to work full-time after the completion of the requirements of a degree. Remember that off-campus work permits for students used to be issued separately before. Technically, a PGWP will give the holder the right to work full-time and the same conditions an implied status would confer. I see no reason why work experience gained during implied status can't be used as part of a proof for CEC. BTW I called CIC about this question, and they said it is OK and every application will be assessed on individual merit. Could someone else call CIC again just for kicks and giggles?

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Found this on CIC's website.

"Assessing work experience - Applications received before January 2, 2013

For the Temporary Foreign Worker Stream, the applicant must have at least 24 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations , within the 36 months before the date of application receipt.

For the Post-Graduation Stream, the applicant must have at least 12 months of full-time , Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations, within the 24 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)(i)-(ii)]. This experience must be acquired after they have completed the required program of study and obtained a Canadian educational credential. (Work performed under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program or on a co-op work term does not count).

Assessing work experience - Applications received on or after January 2, 2013

Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)].

In addition, during that period of employment, the applicant must have:

performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation(s) as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R87.1(2)(b)]; and
performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all the essential duties, of the occupation(s) as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R87.1(2)(c)].
Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS."

vishpp

Dec 8, 2015
My timeline:

Applied on September 9, 2015.

update on December 25, 2015. ( when I logged into MyCIC it is still the same)

Waiting for Approval.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tosinosho1992 said:
Good job Jubear. A study permit also carries the right to work full-time after the completion of the requirements of a degree. Remember that off-campus work permits for students used to be issued separately before. Technically, a PGWP will give the holder the right to work full-time and the same conditions an implied status would confer. I see no reason why work experience gained during implied status can't be used as part of a proof for CEC. BTW I called CIC about this question, and they said it is OK and every application will be assessed on individual merit. Could someone else call CIC again just for kicks and giggles?
Tosinosho1992,

There is one thing I have learnt about CIC. They are unpredictable/inconsistent and can protect themselves when it suits them. If you've been following this forum for the past 9 months, I'm pretty sure by now you know that thousands of graduates couldn't work because of the vague implied status definition/incentives that so many employers doubted and questioned. A lot of applicants lost jobs they had held at the time, lost job offers after interviews, got frustrated, stressed and disappointed by CIC.

Imagine a situation where you apply for PR, wait for 16 months or less and get rejected just because you didn't fulfill the 1 year work experience requirement at the time of application. Then you get frustrated, stressed, spend more and perhaps apply for restoration. Its not a good experience for anyone. I know quite a few PR applicants who faced those problems.

To be on a safe side, the Rule of Thumb is to: Count the duration of your work experience gained after you received your PGWP. Most PGWP holders who faced these challenges, including those who are still waiting wouldn't want to naively face the same obstacles and stressful experiences. Personally I think that it is better to take the necessary precautions, no rush, get that work experience required with a WP and a job within the expected NOC codes. That way you clear any doubt on your side as an applicant and that of the processing agents.

Cheers!