+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving canada with an expired PR card?

a_baig

Aug 30, 2009
I am permanent resident since April 2005....my PR card is due for renewal in April 2010.
Hopefully will be completing the 730 residency obligation by mid april 2010(jst in time).

My question is if i apply for renewal after completing the 730 dayz late in april....then can i leave canada with an expired PR card while my renewal is in process?

I understand tht a PR card is essential for travelling back into the country....but is it the same rule while leaving the country.
At the canadian airport @ the time of departure..do they ask for valid PR card?
Has anyone ever experience this sort of situation?

Waitin for some good inputs
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will not ask you for a PR card to leave but the problem with applying just before you leave is that you will not be able to get your PR card because only the first one is sent by mail. The next one you have to pick up at the local CIC office. As you are out of the country, you will not be able to do this. It would be better for you not to apply to renew, leave the country, do what you have to do and when you want to return to Canada again, apply for a PR travel document to get back. Once you are back in Canada, you can apply for your new PR card. Just keep some proof of your residency in case they ask for it at that time.

a_baig

Aug 30, 2009
Thats a very smart available option which i had never known and though about.
Hats off to u for suggesting this.
I was always of the opinion that once your PR card is due for renewal then you should do so at the earliest.

So hopefully i can leave in last week of april...soon after completing the residency obligation and then come back by july and apply for renewal.
Is there any problem if i leave canada just during the expiry time?
Will they doubt my intention?

Thanks a lot for your sensible advise

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another option you might have is applying for your PR card about 3 months before it expires. The processing time is now 81 days. I know you will not meet your 730 days until shortly before it expires but actually, immigrations own rules state that if you are PR less than 5 years, they may only look at if you could be able to meet the residency requirements in your first 5 years, not if you already have. In the form, they ask if you have been outside Canada more than 1095 days, not how long you have been in Canada. You can call CIC and ask. I have also heard about expedited processing if you are wanting to travel. You might want to ask about that as well.

khangura

Nov 8, 2009
My PR Card will expire on 12 Jan 2010. I have applied for renewal of PR Card on 10 Sep 2009. I will be going to India on 15 Jan 2010 and will be back by 15 Apr 2010. On 02 Nov 2009 I have mailed my air ticket photo copy to PR Card processing center requesting them to urgent processing of my application. According to processing time of PR Card renewal application in their web site I may not receive my PR card before end of Jan 2010. Please advise whether I can still travel with expired PR card and apply for travel document from abroad while coming back to Canada.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nobody will stop you from leaving with an expired PR card and yes, you can apply for a travel document to go back.

Medmhn

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Toronto
My.pr expired on. 07may2017' but I cant renw it until i meet meet the requirements to be physically I ned to wait other 6 mounth .can I.leave canada and I aplay for document travel?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My.pr expired on. 07may2017' but I cant renw it until i meet meet the requirements to be physically I ned to wait other 6 mounth .can I.leave canada and I aplay for document travel?
You can leave Canada without a PR card and apply for a PRTD to travel back. However a PRTD application may take a few weeks to process plus given it appears you have not met the residency obligation a PRTD application may flag this up as an issue for you to return without potentially initiating the process to have your PR status revoked

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Without a valid PR card, you can leave Canada.

If you apply for a PR Travel Document outside Canada when not in compliance with the Residency Obligation, you will likely be refused a PRTD, and have your PR status removed, as you do not indicate that you want to live permanently (or even very part-time) in Canada.

Medmhn

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Toronto
How.I.calculate it?
Imy.pr expired 07 may 2017. I get back to.canada on 05 may 2017 until.to day im in canada
So how I can calculate my abcense day.
Do I need to.go back 5years sens 2012?
Do I need to start calcuate from 01 January 2012 or from 5may 2012?
Plz advice bec.I.get comfiuse

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do I need to.go back 5years sens 2012?
Do I need to start calcuate from 01 January 2012 or from 5may 2012?
Neither. You calculate it 5 years back from the time you apply. You must have at least 730 days in Canada at the time you apply. For you, this means you will have to wait until sometime in late 2018 and can't sponsor your family until then.

Medmhn

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Toronto
My pr expire on 05 may 2017.im.in.canada now I need to wait until 05 may 2018
Hopefully will be completing the 730 residency obligation . The company where I work now threy want to travel oversase to africa to be them representative sales there for 30 days. So I dont know what to do. I can leave and comeback to canada esay even the company they will give document and p prouve and reson for my travel.so plz advise

Preina

Feb 16, 2018
I do completed my R Obligations, I noticed my PR is expired, I applied this month after been expired 2 weeks, If I travel out of Canada I will be able to come back?
It is my first time renewing this document?
very concerned with processing time and I hope my Form is completed perfectly so they will not return my application.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
You can come back definitely but without PR card you cannot take a direct flight into Canada. You will need a PRTD for that or else fly into any Canada bordering city in U S and then ask some friends to drive you to Canada or take a rental car from wherever you land in US.