+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LCP - Submitting Passport in Person at the Hong Kong Embassy - How Long?

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Does anyone know what the wait is to obtain your Visa if you attend in person at the embassy with your current passport?

Our nanny received an e-mail yesterday from the HK embassy, asking her to submit her current passport. If she goes to the embassy in person as soon as possible, do they put the Visa in right away and give it back to on the same day? Or do you hand it in and then leave and wait? If you have to wait, how long until you get it back? Days? Weeks?

I am trying to figure out when our nanny might be able to travel to Canada, so I can start looking at flights. Thank you!

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
I'm updating my own thread, just in case it is helpful to anyone. We have now heard that it takes about 1 week if you drop off your passport in person at the Hong Kong embassy.

When our nanny gets her passport back, I will try to remember to update with the exact number of days she had to wait.

Rutt7

Jan 16, 2012
We are also waiting for the visa to be approved in Hong Kong for our live in caregiver. Her passport was requested by the embassy on Friday, September 12th and she submitted it the next week. We are now waiting for confirmation that her visa was approved so we can book a flight. She initially submitted her papers on April 3rd.

Ana Villanueva

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Hongkong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-07-2014
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-03-2015
lucybear05 said:
I'm updating my own thread, just in case it is helpful to anyone. We have now heard that it takes about 1 week if you drop off your passport in person at the Hong Kong embassy.

When our nanny gets her passport back, I will try to remember to update with the exact number of days she had to wait.

Thanks lucybear05 for the update. This really an info for me for next 3 mos. of my application. Please keep us posted... :-*

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Rutt7 said:
We are also waiting for the visa to be approved in Hong Kong for our live in caregiver. Her passport was requested by the embassy on Friday, September 12th and she submitted it the next week. We are now waiting for confirmation that her visa was approved so we can book a flight. She initially submitted her papers on April 3rd.
Rutt - did she submit it IN PERSON at the embassy? I'm curious, because I believe most people submit via courier/mail. It is the IN PERSON submissions of passports that I'm curious about...

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Ryancory said:
Pls update us Lucybear. Thanks
The nanny was supposed to have landed in Hong Kong late in the day on Friday September 26. I am waiting to get confirmation that she did get there OK. I would imagine she will attend in person at the embassy on Monday, Septmber 29, and hopefully then all goes well and we will hear soon that she has her Visa.

When I know for sure she got it, I will update, and then we will all have a picture of how long it takes when you go in person.

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Well, I have an update, and it's not good news. I hope this thread helps somebody else not to make the same mistakes we are making!

Our nanny was a bit nervous about being able to get back into Hong Kong. But she had her Canadian documentation about her application, including the request for her passport, as well as a "letter of introduction" from her former employer. She says she was questioned at length by immigration, but they did eventually give her a 2-week visitor visa for Hong Kong.

She arrived on a Friday. She went to the embassy on Monday, and dropped off her passport. They told her it would take ONE MONTH!!! :eek:

She can't even stay in Hong Kong for a month, for goodness sake! And now she must wait, with no job and no real place to live (she is currently staying with a friend, but can't live there for a whole month).

I contacted my MP's office again, and they kindly contacted the embassy. The explanation we got is this. It can often take a month, because not all Visas are physically printed/produced at the embassy itself. Sometimes they need to be sent away to who knows where, the visa put in, and then sent back to the Hong Kong embassy. As usual, the procedures of CIC seem very inefficient.

We were told there is little we can do except write a letter to the embassy on our nanny's behalf, begging them to fastrack her passport return. I have written this letter. We were warned it doesn't often help, but since there is nothing else we can do, I've done it anyway.

So the problems and delays continue. If anyone has any advice or insight, we would welcome it. I hope this thread will help someone else!

denyelay

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
Visa Office......
Hongkong
NOC Code......
NOC 6474
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
Med's Request
29-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-09-2014
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014
LANDED..........
15-12-2014
lucybear05 said:
Well, I have an update, and it's not good news. I hope this thread helps somebody else not to make the same mistakes we are making!

Our nanny was a bit nervous about being able to get back into Hong Kong. But she had her Canadian documentation about her application, including the request for her passport, as well as a "letter of introduction" from her former employer. She says she was questioned at length by immigration, but they did eventually give her a 2-week visitor visa for Hong Kong.

She arrived on a Friday. She went to the embassy on Monday, and dropped off her passport. They told her it would take ONE MONTH!!! :eek:

She can't even stay in Hong Kong for a month, for goodness sake! And now she must wait, with no job and no real place to live (she is currently staying with a friend, but can't live there for a whole month).

I contacted my MP's office again, and they kindly contacted the embassy. The explanation we got is this. It can often take a month, because not all Visas are physically printed/produced at the embassy itself. Sometimes they need to be sent away to who knows where, the visa put in, and then sent back to the Hong Kong embassy. As usual, the procedures of CIC seem very inefficient.

We were told there is little we can do except write a letter to the embassy on our nanny's behalf, begging them to fastrack her passport return. I have written this letter. We were warned it doesn't often help, but since there is nothing else we can do, I've done it anyway.

So the problems and delays continue. If anyone has any advice or insight, we would welcome it. I hope this thread will help someone else!
Oh my goodness! Why it so long now. Your nanny must exit Hongkong before she submits her passport. and submit it thru mail. The best option is go to Macau because she can stay there for a month. Im just confused, is your nanny has resigned to her employer here before receiving the passport request? She may ask the extension of stay from her employer.

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
denyelay said:
Oh my goodness! Why it so long now. Your nanny must exit Hongkong before she submits her passport. and submit it thru mail. The best option is go to Macau because she can stay there for a month. Im just confused, is your nanny has resigned to her employer here before receiving the passport request? She may ask the extension of stay from her employer.
Her contract came to an end several weeks ago, and she didn't want to renew it and then quit right away. So the contract came to an end and she went back to the Philippines. When she received the request for her passport, she returned to Hong Kong. Her agency told her it would only take a week, so she got bad advice. She is in a real tight spot now, because she does not have her passport, so she can't travel, but she must leave Hong Kong in 11 days. It is all screwed up now. I don't see how she could go to Macau without her passport?

denyelay

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
Visa Office......
Hongkong
NOC Code......
NOC 6474
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
Med's Request
29-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-09-2014
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014
LANDED..........
15-12-2014
lucybear05 said:
Her contract came to an end several weeks ago, and she didn't want to renew it and then quit right away. So the contract came to an end and she went back to the Philippines. When she received the request for her passport, she returned to Hong Kong. Her agency told her it would only take a week, so she got bad advice. She is in a real tight spot now, because she does not have her passport, so she can't travel, but she must leave Hong Kong in 11 days. It is all screwed up now. I don't see how she could go to Macau without her passport?
Oh I hope the passport came within 2 weeks or else she will have a record of overstaying. With what happening right now here in HK because of people power, some government agencies and embassies may have delayed transaction. Your option now is to ask help for MP to expedite the process. That's why some applicants do not resign to their works until final approval came. They secure the HK Visa. Let just pray for immediate processing.

Ana Villanueva

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Hongkong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-07-2014
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-03-2015
lucybear05 said:

She arrived on a Friday. She went to the embassy on Monday, and dropped off her passport. They told her it would take ONE MONTH!!! :

Thanks lucybear05 for updating us. Maybe you can write the embassy and state your Nannys situation. She cannot even apply for extension of stay in hk because the passport is not with her. Let us pray that it will come out before 2 weeks.

Please keep us posted!!!

Ana Villanueva

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Hongkong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-07-2014
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-03-2015
lucybear05 said:

Hi lucybear05 just an info to give you and your nanny a positive hope.

I talk to my friend here awhile ago. She pass her passport for visa last september 15 and it was release this morning. So it's 12 working days to be exact. Don't loose hope...

Still keep us posted!!!

denyelay

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
Visa Office......
Hongkong
NOC Code......
NOC 6474
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
Med's Request
29-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-09-2014
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014
LANDED..........
15-12-2014
lucybear05 said:

Hi Lucybear, my friend's passport was submitted last Fri and the CIC released with Visa and work permit this afternoon. Her situation is the same with your nanny, but the consultant submitted a letter stating her situation that she has only limited days to stay in HK. The CIC gave the consideration and the visa stamped immediately and returned back the passport together with the introduction letter. So don't lose hope and continue to seek the help of MP and inform the CIC about the status of your nanny here in HK. Hope this will help. Good luck!

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Oh my gosh - thank you everyone for these positive stories! It gives me hope! :)

Yes, we have submitted a letter to the embassy through our MP's office, begging for them to speed up return of her passport. She is in such a bind, all because she didn't want to mislead her Hong Kong employer by renewing her contract and then quitting right away to come to Canada.

I guess she would have been better off to submit her passport by mail from the Philippines, and remain there until it was returned. But her agency told her it would only take one week to get it back, so she thought she could just go to Hong Kong and quickly get it, and then get on a plane to Canada.

I am worried about her also because of the demonstrations going on in Hong Kong right now. Her yahoo e-mail account won't work in Hong Kong now, and so we can't even e-mail with her. Text messages only. All we can do in Canada is hope they accept our letter and speed up her visa/passport return.

I will let you all know as soon as I hear anything, and thanks again!