+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last/Family name issue in my father's passport... NEED URGENT GUIDANCE !!!

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Guys,

I need you urgent guidance on my following issue;

My father's complete official name is written in his passport under last name section and nothing is written in the first name section.

The same complete official name of my father appears in my passport as well.

I am updating this information in the Family Details Section of Post ITA Form which I plan to submit asap as all of my form is complete.

NEED YOUR QUICK GUIDANCE OUT OF THIS MESSY SITUATION !!!

:'( :'( :-[ :-[

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
DelPiero07 said:
And what is exactly your question?
What should i do in this situation ?

I have tried writing his complete last name in the last name section but the system gives error that first name should be entered.

What is the way out in this scenario ?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rafzy said:

I have tried writing his complete last name in the last name section but the system gives error that first name should be entered.

Put all his information in the last name section and put an "x" in the first name. Do not write N/A, they don't want that.

Edit: and a LOE for the reason.

Cheers ;)

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
rafzy said:

The only way out is to split the name and write as First Name and Last Name as the First Name and Last Name is mandatory for family section and explain in the LOE why you did so.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks guys for your quick feedback and guidance.

One more thing i would like to ask,

should I also attach my father Passport with my LOE or just keep it simple and only write an LOE ?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
rafzy said:
Thanks guys for your quick feedback and guidance.

One more thing i would like to ask,

should I also attach my father Passport with my LOE or just keep it simple and only write an LOE ?
No need to attach father's passport

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
so i am going to split my father name in first and last name and write an LOE about it.

Do i need to do anything else about it besides this ?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rafzy said:
so i am going to split my father name in first and last name and write an LOE about it.

Do i need to do anything else about it besides this ?
No, that's good enough.

Cheers ;)

nidakh

Mar 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
10th Jan 2021
AOR Received.
10th March 2021
Interview........
Test Completed: Jun 25th 2021
I don't have a surname....I have a first name and a last name (The surname field in my Indian passport is empty)......When we were getting work permits for Canada we were instructed to keep the Given Name field empty and put both my first and last name in the Family Name field.

In your EE profile if you read the help text of the fields there are clear instructions of what name goes where.....System does allow not putting a first name but last name is mandatory

I believe the same logic should be applicable to any other names, be it our families.

Last name is also known as family name..First name is also known as given name. Enter ALL name(s) as they appear on your passport.

Amended name
If your passport includes an amendment to your name(s) in the observations section, enter your name(s) as it appears in that section.

Apostrophes
If your name has an apostrophe, enter it on the form. Example: D’Orsay, O’Neil.

Order of names
Refer to the machine-readable zone on your passport (the portion below your photo and biographic information, sometimes called a "barcode") to confirm in what order you should enter your names on the application.

On the first line of that portion of your passport, you will most likely see a letter, a chevron (<), an abbreviation of your nationality, your family name, two chevrons (<<) and your given name(s).

Enter your last name (family name) as it appears in this part of your passport.

The name(s) listed after the double chevrons (<<) after your family name is/are your given name(s).

If your name(s) is/are shortened or cut off in this portion of your passport, but the full name(s) is spelled out in the upper portion of your passport, enter your name(s) as it/they appear(s) in the top portion. But always rely on the bottom portion to determine the order of your name(s).

Filial relationships
If your passport includes "son of" or "daughter of," or "bin" or "bint" and your father’s name in the top or bottom portions of your passport, do not enter this text or your father’s name in either of the name fields of the application form.

For example, if your passport indicates Ahmad bin Husain bin Muhammad in one field, please enter the Family Name as Husain and the Given Name as Ahmad.

If your passport indicates a filial relationship with "ibn," "ben" or "ould wuld," and your father’s name in the upper or lower portions of the page, please do not enter this or your father’s name in either name field when you are completing the application form.

For example, if your passport indicates Husain Ould Ahmad Ould Muhammad in one field, please enter the Family Name as Ahmad and the Given Name as Husain.

Hyphens

If your name has a hyphen, enter it on the form. Example: Mary‑Anne, Smith-Hansen.

Only one name on passport

If there is only one name line on the passport, put the whole name in this answer field.

Also known as "surname" or "family name".

Use of mother’s, father’s or ancestor’s name

If the name on your passport includes the name of your mother, father, grandfather or earlier male ancestor in the machine-readable zone on your passport (the portion below your photo and biographic information, sometimes called a "barcode"), enter that spelling of your name on the application form.

Spousal relationships
If your passport shows "épouse de", "epse" or "ep." ("spouse of"), "wife of" or "husband of" in the top or bottom portions of your passport, do not enter this or the name of your spouse in either the last name or first name fields of the application form.

Example: if your passport shows Smith EP. Paul Sajan in the family name field, and John William in the given name field, enter Smith in the last name field and John William in the first name field.

Titles, prefixes, degrees, decorations
If your passport shows a title, prefix, suffix, professional or academic qualification, decoration, honour, award, or hereditary status, do not enter this on the application form, unless it is in the machine-readable zone of your passport (the portion below your photo and biographic information, sometimes called a "barcode").

Characters of non-Roman alphabets
Only characters from the Roman script/alphabet can be entered on your application form. Example: Aa, Bb, Cc and French accents such as é, è, ë, ü.
Your country of nationality is responsible for making your name appear in Roman script on your passport.