+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing/PR card question

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
I just got my CoPR yesterday and am trying to decide if I should land now or wait until the end of November when I am traveling out of Canada. My CoPR has the experation date as April 2016 so I have time.
I am from a visa-exempt country, but I keep getting conflicting information to whether or not I can actually use the CoPR for the airline boarding instead of the pr card. Some people are say yes. Others are saying if I don't say anything about my status the airlines won't bother to check since I'm exempt from the visa, but technically you are supposed to have the card. It sounds like I shouldn't have a problem, but I'm not sure it's worth worrying over. Is there any reason to do the landing now versus later?
Another question I have is about the Urgent Processing request for the PR card. When I looked up the information on the CIC they mention applications not yet filed, which doesn't apply to me since I don't turn in an application since I'm a new immigrate. I looked up Urgent Processing for in progress applications and it only gives the options for a card renewal and an update to card. Anyone know if it's possible to get an Urgent Processing request for a new card recipient? Is this something you can request when you do your landing?
Thanks for any advice! Right now I'm leaning towards just waiting until end of November, but I have to admit I'm anxious to get this whole process over. I just don't want to make a mistake because I'm impatient.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
For what it's worth, I did my landing November 2014 at a Service Canada in Calgary. Mid-January I left for the UK (home) without my PR card as it had not yet arrived.

I wasn't asked to show anything other than my passport when boarding for Canada. Neither was I ever asked for anything other than my passport whilst returning from Iceland and the US on other trips.

On re-entering Canada after the trip to the UK I gave the border officer my CoPR with the landing stamps and let him know that I hadn't received my PR card yet. He didn't mind at all and quickly let me into Canada having looked me in their systems.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
arowberry said:
For what it's worth, I did my landing November 2014 at a Service Canada in Calgary. Mid-January I left for the UK (home) without my PR card as it had not yet arrived.

I wasn't asked to show anything other than my passport when boarding for Canada. Neither was I ever asked for anything other than my passport whilst returning from Iceland and the US on other trips.

On re-entering Canada after the trip to the UK I gave the border officer my CoPR with the landing stamps and let him know that I hadn't received my PR card yet. He didn't mind at all and quickly let me into Canada having looked me in their systems.
Thanks for the info!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
AshesNdust said:
I just got my CoPR yesterday and am trying to decide if I should land now or wait until the end of November when I am traveling out of Canada. My CoPR has the experation date as April 2016 so I have time.
I am from a visa-exempt country, but I keep getting conflicting information to whether or not I can actually use the CoPR for the airline boarding instead of the pr card. Some people are say yes. Others are saying if I don't say anything about my status the airlines won't bother to check since I'm exempt from the visa, but technically you are supposed to have the card. It sounds like I shouldn't have a problem, but I'm not sure it's worth worrying over. Is there any reason to do the landing now versus later?
Another question I have is about the Urgent Processing request for the PR card. When I looked up the information on the CIC they mention applications not yet filed, which doesn't apply to me since I don't turn in an application since I'm a new immigrate. I looked up Urgent Processing for in progress applications and it only gives the options for a card renewal and an update to card. Anyone know if it's possible to get an Urgent Processing request for a new card recipient? Is this something you can request when you do your landing?
Thanks for any advice! Right now I'm leaning towards just waiting until end of November, but I have to admit I'm anxious to get this whole process over. I just don't want to make a mistake because I'm impatient.
Urgent processing is NOT available for your first PR card. You must already have had an existing PR card to qualify.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
zardoz said:
Urgent processing is NOT available for your first PR card. You must already have had an existing PR card to qualify.
Thank you very much for this info. I kind of thought this might be the situation, but I know the new system still has some glitches and didn't know if the option was just missing from the menu or not. To be safe, I'll just wait until I fly back into Canada in November. Waiting 2 more months isn't going to kill me. I'll look at the bright side, at 11:30pm, immigration probably won't be too crowded. :)

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arowberry said:

This is exactly what I want to hear, I have a vacation booked in December and I have my landing Interview soon. I know I wont have my PR card by then but I will have my British Passport and my COPR so I don't think I will have any issues.

etkuo

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
arowberry said:

Same experience here. Flew back to Canada with no PR card but I have a visa exempt passport (Australian passport) and airline didn't ask anything. Once I arrived into Canada the CBSA agent let me in with my CoPR.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
etkuo said:
Same experience here. Flew back to Canada with no PR card but I have a visa exempt passport (Australian passport) and airline didn't ask anything. Once I arrived into Canada the CBSA agent let me in with my CoPR.
When you arrived in Canada did you have to tell the CBSA agent that you are waiting for the card still or just say nothing?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jamesdavid3 said:
When you arrived in Canada did you have to tell the CBSA agent that you are waiting for the card still or just say nothing?
Tell them you recently landed and are still waiting for your PR card to arrive.

Inspired beta

Oct 16, 2015
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
xx-12-2014
Med's Done....
15-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
Soon !
etkuo said:
Yes that is possible for visa exempt countries till 15 march 2016.
After that eTA will be required from all except US nationals.

Regards

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it also depends on which boarder agent you get and how they are feeling...

I am sure 99% of the time they will see your Passport and COPR and that alone should be enough to let you in without any further questioning as long as you let them know you are currently waiting for your PR card.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I want to emphasize this point. According to my information, once eTA is implemented on 15 March 2016, the "trick" for visa-exempt nationals to fly on their passport alone and then show their CoPR once in Canada won't work anymore.

Until March 15, 2016 you can board a plane to Canada if
a) you have a Canadian passport
b) you have a US passport
c) you have a Visa exempt passport
d) you have a valid visa for Canada (needs to be shown at checkin)
e) you are a permanent resident and can prove it with your PR card
That meant if you don't have your PR card but are visa exempt, you could "pretend" at checkin (or just let them assume) that you fit into category c)

Starting March 15, 2016, you can only board a plane to Canada if
c) you have a Visa exempt passport AND there is an eTA in the database
So, you can't "pretend" to be c) anymore since as a PR, you can't apply for an eTA. That means, checkin would be refused.

All this follows from the CIC FAQ here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1050&t=16

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Yes, when I read this, it was what made me a bit leery of trying to come back in without the pr card. I was reading on other forums that once you get your pr your immigration status changes from visitor. So, the visa/passport rules for visitors don't apply to you any more, but the pr ones do. According to the pr ones you have to have a pr card to board a commerical transport.

So, technically you shouldn't be allowed in without your card, but usually no one bothers to check your immigration status if you have a passport from a visa exempt country. I've just had enough friends, myself included, get put through the ringer at the boarder when they had to deal with an agent just in a bad mood.

Since I have plenty of time, I just decided to do it when I come back in November. If I was in a rush, I might have chanced it, but don't see the point.

spyfy said:
I want to emphasize this point. According to my information, once eTA is implemented on 15 March 2016, the "trick" for visa-exempt nationals to fly on their passport alone and then show their CoPR once in Canada won't work anymore.

Until March 15, 2016 you can board a plane to Canada if
c) you have a Visa exempt passport
That meant if you don't have your PR card but are visa exempt, you could "pretend" at checkin (or just let them assume) that you fit into category c)

Starting March 15, 2016, you can only board a plane to Canada if
c) you have a Visa exempt passport AND there is an eTA in the database
So, you can't "pretend" to be c) anymore since as a PR, you can't apply for an eTA. That means, checkin would be refused.

All this follows from the CIC FAQ here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1050&t=16

Inspired beta

Oct 16, 2015
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
xx-12-2014
Med's Done....
15-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
Soon !
Another way out is if you have a valid US visa...
Then you can legally fly in to the US and cross the border by road (in a private vehicle).

Regards

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Hi all,

My Ecas status changed to completed and current mailing address still doesnot change. I landed vancouver on 28th Sept and should I wait for another few more days as processing time line is 42 days. any advice? Thanks.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

Best Regards,
Myat