+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
Smileforu said:
How is the weather in October / November in Toronto, and how about staying near airport, ways to commute public transportation to downtown. Seniors please advise, as I am very confused !!
If u dont want to stay in Toronto, then stay somehwere new islington station, every mode of transportation to everywhere is available from here.

slingshot_fuel

Jun 20, 2013
Good Evening fellow applicants!

I wanted to give a brief update regarding my landing procedure. I went to the Tsawwassen border crossing (South Vancouver) - very small and low traffic rate. I staid in my vehicle and drove to the US border booth. The officer asked me 3 questions: What are you doing in Canada? What will you be doing in the US? What do you do for work?

I responded to them all and explained that I am simply going around the flag pole for my permanent residency landing (I handed him the COPR papers together with Passport). He immediately asked me to pull my vehicle into a parking slot located on the US border side immediately adjacent to the US border booth. He also provided me with a bright orange slip of paper (there was text written on this slip, however, it was in a 'coded' language meant to not provide any information to people unfamiliar with the same) and asked me to come inside the building after I park.

I walked inside the US border building and handed an officer my orange slip (Passport and COPR were already inside the building). He was extremely friendly and asked me to wait for 5 minutes. He returned with a 1-page white form that simply stated my intentions under the comments section - "Flag-pole, permanent residency". This document also had two sections with square boxes that were meant to be 'checked off'. I specifically remember one of the boxes stating "refusal of entry" - neither box was checked, which made me less anxious (I have always wondered about this form and did not want it to impact my future travels to the United States). I also posed my previous question to the officer since I figured that this information would be helpful and alleviate some concerns some other forum members may have. He told me that this form has ZERO impact on any future travels - including if an officer accidentally checks either of the boxes.

I was then given back my passport and COPR documents and was asked to proceed to my vehicle and drive back towards the Canadian border. I waited for another 5 minutes until I reached the Canadian border booth. An officer simply asked me for my passport. I handed him the COPR, passport, and the white paper given to me by the US border agent. He told me to pull around the back of the building and park my vehicle in one of the provided spots.

Inside the Canadian border building, I walked up to the counter and provided the officer with all of my documents. She asked me to sit back down and wait. After roughly 10 minutes (it took longer since I arrived during their lunch time and only 2 officers were working inside the building), she called me back to the counter and asked me the questions contained within the COPR. Have you ever been arrested and/or convicted of a criminal and/or other charge? Do you have any dependents and/or did your family makeup change since filing the original documents? Do you have any new medical conditions since undergoing the medical exam?

I answered no to all of them EXCEPT the criminality question. I must explain my choice of answer here: Since you are under oath at the time of the landing procedure and you must initial next to each posed question right onto the COPR document and eventually sign and date the very bottom of the document, CIC may, at any time during your future dealings with CIC (for citizenship purposes, etc.), refer back to your answers. I was convicted of a traffic violation under the British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act in 2009. Please keep in mind that I fully disclosed this conviction during my application process and Ottawa actually requested a 'court disposition' of this conviction. Also, I should note that this is NOT a criminal conviction (I have no criminal convictions anywhere in the world - which is another question they pose to all potential PR applicants during the landing procedure). Since answering no to this particular question would be a misrepresentation of facts, I chose to say the following: "I was never convicted of any criminal charges anywhere in the world, however, I was convicted in 2009 of a Motor Vehicle Act infraction ("Undue care and attention")". I handed her all the paperwork and court disposition in relation to this conviction and also provided her with the email correspondence between the CIC officer requesting the court disposition of the same in April of 2013. I provided the emails so that the border agent knew that this was fully disclosed and that, after reviewing this conviction, did not make me inadmissible. I also asked her to note that I fully disclosed this on my COPR and in her electronic records (in case there is reason to believe that I gave an inaccurate answer in any future proceedings with CIC). She told me that she was very grateful and impressed that I told her about this minor conviction and my scrutiny for accuracy and detail. After this conversation, she called me back to the counter (after about 5 minutes of waiting), and made me initial and sign the COPR document (I believe there are 4 or 5 questions requiring the applicants' initials).

After my signature was placed at the bottom of the COPR, I was smiling and thanked her for being so courteous. She then asked me for a mailing address to which my Permanent Residency Card will be mailed (she told me that this could take up 8 to 10 weeks and that I should avoid any travel outside of Canada until I receive this PR Card - she was also very adamant about never losing the signed COPR document stapled inside my passport AND my PR Card; she told me that I should remove the paper COPR document from my passport and keep it in a safe place and only carry my PR Card when traveling). She then congratulated me and removed my work Visa (which was stapled in my passport), and proceeded to rip it up in front of me. She then told me that I was free to work and live wherever I wanted and that I needed to maintain residency for at least 2 years in every 5-year period. She also provided me with some additional information regarding some requirements (obtain a new SIN number, health card, etc.) She then gave me a little Canadian flag and told me that I was free to go.

In summary, it was a very pleasant experience. My anxiety was not at all justified and I was pleasantly surprised to have been treated with such respect and kindness.

If you have any other questions regarding my above post, please don't hesitate to respond to this post - I usually check this forum every few days in order to help other applicants with my gathered knowledge over the past 3 years.

God_grace4

Oct 26, 2012
Dear Seniors,

This is the blog which helped me to do landing in last Oct'2012. I stayed for 1week. At that time I opened my bank account and deposited my Pof (family of 3).
I applied my Sin car also.
I have my PR cards also with me.

I came back to Dubai to settle everything and do more savings for future and will go back in August '2014.
Please advise on following queries:

1. Hope there is no problem till the time I stay in canada for minimum 2 years in the given 5 years period to have my valid PR And renew it later.

2. I need to take my savings which I am earning here in Dubai to Canada when I will be finally going in August 2014.
I didn't mention anything at the time of landing regarding funds to follow ....it was only goods to follow.( I think this was the mistake from my side)

Hope above issue of funds would be for many immigrants who come back after landing and go after settling everything.

3. What is the best way to take your funds after your landing has been completed?

4. Should I keep on transferring every month to my canadian bank account so that there is no problem later when I move in August14?

Above issues are really troubling me.....request for your advises to manage my funds.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Since you already have canadian bank account, the best way to transfer funds is direct bank transfer. Helps avoid some administrative costs and the need to file declarations when you export/import cash and monetary instruments.

There is no obligation to mention funds to follow at the time of landing. You just have to declare how much you are importing at the given moment.

God_grace4 said:
Dear Seniors,

This is the blog which helped me to do landing in last Oct'2012. I stayed for 1week. At that time I opened my bank account and deposited my Pof (family of 3).
I applied my Sin car also.
I have my PR cards also with me.

I came back to Dubai to settle everything and do more savings for future and will go back in August '2014.
Please advise on following queries:

1. Hope there is no problem till the time I stay in canada for minimum 2 years in the given 5 years period to have my valid PR And renew it later.

2. I need to take my savings which I am earning here in Dubai to Canada when I will be finally going in August 2014.
I didn't mention anything at the time of landing regarding funds to follow ....it was only goods to follow.( I think this was the mistake from my side)

Hope above issue of funds would be for many immigrants who come back after landing and go after settling everything.

3. What is the best way to take your funds after your landing has been completed?

4. Should I keep on transferring every month to my canadian bank account so that there is no problem later when I move in August14?

Above issues are really troubling me.....request for your advises to manage my funds.

God_grace4

Oct 26, 2012
Ketevan said:
Since you already have canadian bank account, the best way to transfer funds is direct bank transfer. Helps avoid some administrative costs and the need to file declarations when you export/import cash and monetary instruments.

There is no obligation to mention funds to follow at the time of landing. You just have to declare how much you are importing at the given moment.

Thanks for your advise.
What about taxation issue in this way of transfer?

gcctocanada

Jun 12, 2010
Bahrain
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3/5/10
AOR Received.
4/15/10
IELTS Request
4/15/10
File Transfer...
9/23/10
Med's Request
6/20/13
Med's Done....
7/17/13- with PC and RPRF
Passport Req..
9/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/06/2013
LANDED..........
12/9/2013 EDMONTON
steaky said:
No tax because you are not a tax resident.
Sir Steaky, what do you mean by tax resident? tnx

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
There is no tax on transfer itself, but when you will be filling out tax declarations in december 2013 (assuming you will reside here) for your previous year you will have to include all your income earned, including money earned outside Canada. Your tax will be calculated based on that. Obviously, more earnings - more tax.

gcctocanada said:
Sir Steaky, what do you mean by tax resident? tnx

God_grace4

Oct 26, 2012
This is the previous savings in fixed deposits which I want to carry with me when I finally move for good and I have not mentioned at the time of landing last year.
This is not the present earnings. ...

So you mean there will be no tax on this amount and I can transfer the amount to my Canadian account.

Ketevan said:
There is no tax on transfer itself, but when you will be filling out tax declarations in december 2013 (assuming you will reside here) for your previous year you will have to include all your income earned, including money earned outside Canada. Your tax will be calculated based on that. Obviously, more earnings - more tax.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
I transferred my savings bank-to-bank and did not pay any tax. You will pay tax on any interest earned though.

God_grace4 said:
This is the previous savings in fixed deposits which I want to carry with me when I finally move for good and I have not mentioned at the time of landing last year.
This is not the present earnings. ...

So you mean there will be no tax on this amount and I can transfer the amount to my Canadian account.

explorer

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb-2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR: Jun-10
File Transfer...
Mar-10
Med's Request
June-12
Med's Done....
July-12
VISA ISSUED...
14-Jan-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2013
You need to declare at the customs when you land next time, if you carry CAD 10000 or more in cash. When you carry it in any other form like TC, Debit or Credit card, Draft etc you don't have to bother at all. At my 1st landing, I carried more than CAD 10000 in Travel Currency Debit cards & at customs, the officer told me the same thing clearly.

borobhai

Feb 8, 2011
I landed at Toronto with my wife a couple of months ago. Due to my job responsibility I am now staying outside Canada.

I have landing number but I did not get my PR card by that time. I am planing to move Canada sometimes next year.
My wife is pregnant right now and going to give birth in short. Its not possible to move her for some complexity.

Please suggest What I need to do now:

1. To which office I need to inform.
2. I asked my previous visa office, but they did not reply.

If you have any specific direction guideline (link), please assist me.

May Allah provide you right reward.

BB

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
borobhai said:
I landed at Toronto with my wife a couple of months ago. Due to my job responsibility I am now staying outside Canada.

I have landing number but I did not get my PR card by that time. I am planing to move Canada sometimes next year.
My wife is pregnant right now and going to give birth in short. Its not possible to move her for some complexity.

BB
Salams,

If you do not have your PR card, you cannot reenter Canada and you cannot apply to have it sent to you outside Canada.

To reenter you will need a Travel Document, please check link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp#overview

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
borobhai said:

BB
This thread is related to the same problem you are facing, reading through it might help you:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bringing-a-child-born-outside-canada-for-pr-parents-t129397.0.html

borobhai

Feb 8, 2011
rizmayo said:
Salams,

If you do not have your PR card, you cannot reenter Canada and you cannot apply to have it sent to you outside Canada.

To reenter you will need a Travel Document, please check link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp#overview
Thanks for your kind information and useful link. Do you have any idea of time it takes to get travel document and the validity period of the document after I would get that in hand.