+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience at Windsor POE

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
Hi,
I completed my landing today at Windsor POE, so I thought of sharing with you as this could be helpful to future immigrants...

I work near Detroit. So, I took a rental car and drove to Windsor. I did not see any USA officer asking me to surrender my I-94. I was surprised. I went straight to Canada border after crossing Ambassador bridge. The lady at the Canada border asked my passport and asked me few general questions like how long do I intend to stay in Canada, whether am I importing my car the same day. She asked me why I rented a car when I had my own car near Detroit. I told her that I was not sure of using my own car in Canada without getting it imported, and hence went for rental car. I told her that I would be moving in shortly into Canada and that time, would be importing my car. She handed me a yellow slip, and pointed me to immigration.

I went inside and was asked to wait there till I get my turn. It took about 10-15 minutes for my turn. I was asked regular questions like how much cash you are bringing, where I want the PR card to be mailed etc. Then he put a stamp on Goods list and yellow slip (only on the To-follow ones, he did not even look at the Goods accompanying list probably because he knew that I was planning to return to US the same day). He also did not ask me bank statements. After finishing his little bit of documentation work, he asked me to sign in his presence, and said that I could expect PR card in a few weeks.

While I came out and was about to start my car, two CBSA officers came and asked me to have the car parked and not start. They seemed to ask a little many questions about various forms initially. When I told them that I came to land as a permanent resident, they took it easy and asked me to open the car trunk. After checking the stuff, they said that I could not keep that yellow slip with me which was stamped. I told them that I was not aware of it. Then they welcomed me into Canada.

I just went for a drive on a few roads in Windsor. By the time, I was able to find Service Canada office, it was past 4 PM, and the office was closed. So, decided to apply for SIN sometime in the new future.

Then while heading back to USA, I was asked quite a few questions by US border & customs about when I left USA in the past two years, what visa status that I was in, why rental car and not my own car etc. He took my passport, examined something and gave it back. He asked me where i was working, who i was working for, explained me a little bit about AVR (that I cannot use this from India) and welcomed me in....

After paying toll, there were 3 more security officers. They asked a few other people besides me to be waited, and while we were waiting, they scanned our cars. It took about 10 minutes and they let us into USA.

Good luck to all of you :)

Finally a question about SIN:
Does this really matter how soon that I should be applying SIN? Is there any deadline like that SIN should be applied within so and so days after landing? All I did today is just landing. I hope to complete SIN application, health card and driving license soon. Again, is there any 'deadline' for health card or driving license to be applied with in n number of days after landing?

Thank you again to all who were sharing their knowledge.

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
explorer101 said:
No deadline for SIN and health card.
Thanks. That's what I too thought. I hope to apply for SIN, health card and driving license sometime within the next six months, when I move to Canada...

sazid

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maruti81 said:
Hi,
I completed my landing today at Windsor POE, so I thought of sharing with you as this could be helpful to future immigrants...

I work near Detroit. So, I took a rental car and drove to Windsor. I did not see any USA officer asking me to surrender my I-94. I was surprised. I went straight to Canada border after crossing Ambassador bridge. The lady at the Canada border asked my passport and asked me few general questions like how long do I intend to stay in Canada, whether am I importing my car the same day. She asked me why I rented a car when I had my own car near Detroit. I told her that I was not sure of using my own car in Canada without getting it imported, and hence went for rental car. I told her that I would be moving in shortly into Canada and that time, would be importing my car. She handed me a yellow slip, and pointed me to immigration.

I went inside and was asked to wait there till I get my turn. It took about 10-15 minutes for my turn. I was asked regular questions like how much cash you are bringing, where I want the PR card to be mailed etc. Then he put a stamp on Goods list and yellow slip (only on the To-follow ones, he did not even look at the Goods accompanying list probably because he knew that I was planning to return to US the same day). He also did not ask me bank statements. After finishing his little bit of documentation work, he asked me to sign in his presence, and said that I could expect PR card in a few weeks.

While I came out and was about to start my car, two CBSA officers came and asked me to have the car parked and not start. They seemed to ask a little many questions about various forms initially. When I told them that I came to land as a permanent resident, they took it easy and asked me to open the car trunk. After checking the stuff, they said that I could not keep that yellow slip with me which was stamped. I told them that I was not aware of it. Then they welcomed me into Canada.

I just went for a drive on a few roads in Windsor. By the time, I was able to find Service Canada office, it was past 4 PM, and the office was closed. So, decided to apply for SIN sometime in the new future.

Then while heading back to USA, I was asked quite a few questions by US border & customs about when I left USA in the past two years, what visa status that I was in, why rental car and not my own car etc. He took my passport, examined something and gave it back. He asked me where i was working, who i was working for, explained me a little bit about AVR (that I cannot use this from India) and welcomed me in....

After paying toll, there were 3 more security officers. They asked a few other people besides me to be waited, and while we were waiting, they scanned our cars. It took about 10 minutes and they let us into USA.

Does this really matter how soon that I should be applying SIN? Is there any deadline like that SIN should be applied within so and so days after landing? All I did today is just landing. I hope to complete SIN application, health card and driving license soon. Again, is there any 'deadline' for health card or driving license to be applied with in n number of days after landing?

Hi Maruti,

I have a question were you on H1B when you were returning back to US. Like i wanted go to Canada for my visa stamping once i get my PR as i am not getting dates in my home country.

Thanks,

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
sazid said:
Hi Maruti,

I have a question were you on H1B when you were returning back to US. Like i wanted go to Canada for my visa stamping once i get my PR as i am not getting dates in my home country.

Thanks,
Hi Sazid,
Yes, I am on H1 but do not have the visa stamp on my passport yet. I used AVR while returning to USA. So I carried original I-797 with unexpired I-94, paystubs, letter from employer that I am working for them currently.

You can do that too if you do not want to go for stamping right away.

Good luck.

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
Hi Maruti,
What did you include on your list of goods? Did you include all your furnitures and appliances as "goods to follow"? What is your plan regarding the goods that you might accumulate while still in the US? And did you apply for the PR card at the POE or did you have to mail the application?

Thanks in advance!

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
AvayaLenovo said:
Hi Maruti,
What did you include on your list of goods? Did you include all your furnitures and appliances as "goods to follow"? What is your plan regarding the goods that you might accumulate while still in the US? And did you apply for the PR card at the POE or did you have to mail the application?

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I have included pretty much everything of my belongings in my "Goods to follow" list. Since I plan to leave to Canada soon, I had kinda accurate information of what I will be carrying. So, if you think that you will accumulate some more stuff in US, try to give an approximate information in "Goods to follow" list..for ex: if you think you will be buying few DVDs or books, I dont think it will really matter...but if you are planning to buy huge items like sofa, tv and if you don't include them in "goods to follow" list, you may end up paying duties (if applicable).

i applied for PR card at the POE itself..

Good luck.

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
AvayaLenovo,
If you can anticipate what you want to buy (like sofa, furniture, electronics) from the US and include them in your list of goods to follow. Even if you do not actually buy and bring it to Canada it is not a problem. You can say that you are not importing it into Canada.

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
Thanks, maruti and gjp!
Because there could be a 3-year gap between my initial landing and actual move to Canada. And yes, I'm thinking of purchasing more stuff during that 3-year duration.

Just a hypothetical question, can I bring a dog to Canada? What if I suddenly purchase a dog and I didn't include it in my goods to follow? Is it even considered a "goods"? Thank you so much!

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
AvayaLenovo said:
Thanks, maruti and gjp!
Because there could be a 3-year gap between my initial landing and actual move to Canada. And yes, I'm thinking of purchasing more stuff during that 3-year duration.

Just a hypothetical question, can I bring a dog to Canada? What if I suddenly purchase a dog and I didn't include it in my goods to follow? Is it even considered a "goods"? Thank you so much!
3 year gap? Hope that you are aware that you need to maintain 730 days in 5 yrs...so better move after 2.5 yrs considering you may move out of Canada for vacations/home-country-visit etc

I am not sure if you can include pets..experts/seniors would be able to provide better idea on this? Cheers...

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
maruti81 said:
3 year gap? Hope that you are aware that you need to maintain 730 days in 5 yrs...so better move after 2.5 yrs considering you may move out of Canada for vacations/home-country-visit etc

I am not sure if you can include pets..experts/seniors would be able to provide better idea on this? Cheers...
YES, I'm very much aware of that and even have a calendar of my own to strictly follow. Thanks for your help.

jang

Star Member
Jan 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2009
Doc's Request.
22-01-2010
AOR Received.
28-06-2010
File Transfer...
28-07-2010
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
maruti81 said:
Hi,

Hi maruti81,

We are planning to make the landing, stay for a week and get back to US. I am concerned about the fact that most of the members here have stated that we need to stay there till we get the PR cards to avoid any trouble.

I saw your post. Dd you get your PR card yet. How did you manage to get the card forwarded from Canada address to US address?

Thx,
jang

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thnx for sharing maruti...Its a bit different across the border landing (better to be called entering!) exp which differed from something shared often by many else made their ways through air....

All the best for your canadian stay when you will make next time......as u planned

maruti81

Mar 13, 2009
jang said:
Hi maruti81,

We are planning to make the landing, stay for a week and get back to US. I am concerned about the fact that most of the members here have stated that we need to stay there till we get the PR cards to avoid any trouble.

I saw your post. Dd you get your PR card yet. How did you manage to get the card forwarded from Canada address to US address?

Thx,
jang
Hi jang,
I came to Canada and working from home (Canada) for my employer in USA. I got my PR card about 2 weeks ago.

All the best for you.

@Fariza: Thank you :)

jang

Star Member
Jan 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2009
Doc's Request.
22-01-2010
AOR Received.
28-06-2010
File Transfer...
28-07-2010
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
maruti81 said:
Hi jang,
I came to Canada and working from home (Canada) for my employer in USA. I got my PR card about 2 weeks ago.

All the best for you.

@ Fariza: Thank you :)
maruti81,

Thx for the response. My question was, were you physically in Canada or in US when you received the PR card?