Passport Req..
10-9-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-9-2014
LANDED..........
March 2015
going to land this Sunday.
now working on the list of goods accompanying / to follows -

I just found that on the B4 list, it says - USE LEGAL SIZE (8.5" X 14")
Do I have to really print this size requested ?
Can I just print in A4 size ?

for the items to be shipped later, can I just write goods to follow (household goods , money to be wired later) on the 8 columns of B4 form (with additional details on a separate list) ?

thanks !

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
acapeg said:
going to land this Sunday.
now working on the list of goods accompanying / to follows -

I just found that on the B4 list, it says - USE LEGAL SIZE (8.5" X 14")
Do I have to really print this size requested ?
Can I just print in A4 size ?

for the items to be shipped later, can I just write goods to follow (household goods , money to be wired later) on the 8 columns of B4 form (with additional details on a separate list) ?

thanks !
Letter size paper or A4 should be fine if you shrink the pages to size. Take 2 copies with you, though, so that you don't run into issues photocopying it at the border.

For goods to follow make sure you mark each B4A sheet as goods to follow (so separate them out by page from goods with you at landing).

acapeg

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
HONG KONG
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2013
Doc's Request.
7-3-2014 police clearance certificate
AOR Received.
8-4-2014
File Transfer...
8-5-2014
Med's Done....
26-10-2013, 18-3-2014 (x-ray)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-9-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-9-2014
LANDED..........
March 2015
OhCanadiana said:
Letter size paper or A4 should be fine if you shrink the pages to size. Take 2 copies with you, though, so that you don't run into issues photocopying it at the border.

For goods to follow make sure you mark each B4A sheet as goods to follow (so separate them out by page from goods with you at landing).

Thanks, So for the same B4 form, can I write like this -

1. Electronics
2. Clothing and personal effects
3. Household items
4. Jewelleries
5. Goods to follow - household items (will provide another detailed list of these items)
6. Goods to follow - clothing & personal effects (will provide another detailed list of these items)

Or do i have to make 2 individual B4 forms ? One for goods accompanying and another one for goods to follow ?
Can I just write them all on the same form ,thanks !

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
you need 2 separate forms - 1 for goods with you and 1 for goods to follow.

when you list the items you need to list how they are being packaged, (ie: 2 boxes of books, 1 suitcases of clothe, 1 box of household items, etc) and then assign values for the lot. for large electronics (ie: computers, tv's, etc), you will want to list them separately with the serial number.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
acapeg said:
Thanks, So for the same B4 form, can I write like this -

1. Electronics
2. Clothing and personal effects
3. Household items
4. Jewelleries
5. Goods to follow - household items (will provide another detailed list of these items)
6. Goods to follow - clothing & personal effects (will provide another detailed list of these items)

Or do i have to make 2 individual B4 forms ? One for goods accompanying and another one for goods to follow ?
Can I just write them all on the same form ,thanks !
The Declaration of Goods to Follow is comprised of one B4 form and zero to multiple B4A forms (depending on how many goods you are declaring).

You start listing your goods on the B4 form and then continue on the B4A form(s). On the B4 form, mark the boxes indicating there are some goods to follow (toward the middle of the page) and B4A (or BSF186A) box to indicate that the list continues.

It is best practice to separate the goods you have with you from goods to follow to make the processing easier on the Officer (they may mark the goods off as you import them). So, start listing goods that you have with you and keep going line item by line item until you finish. Then leave the rest of that page blank and start a new B4A form with all the goods to follow you may have. Mark the box at the top of those B4A pages to indicate that the list is for goods to follow.

I know some people have reported doing so, but it is best not duplicate categories + then more detailed description (as the sum should add up to the total value of goods you are importing).

Don't forget to attach photos of jewelry and other high value goods to follow (esp. if they don't have a serial number).

rhcohen2014 said:
when you list the items you need to list how they are being packaged, (ie: 2 boxes of books, 1 suitcases of clothe, 1 box of household items, etc) and then assign values for the lot.
As far as I am aware, CBSA wants a description of the goods so they can be clearly identified (both when initially imported and subsequently) and the value of goods for record keeping purposes (incl. duty receipt generated at the border). Groupings are allowed for convenience so you can group lower items in any way that makes sense (e.g., number of shirts, or number of boxes of shirts if they are already packed and you know this number).

What is your source for the "need to list how [goods] are being packaged", rhcohen2014?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
OhCanadiana said:
What is your source for the "need to list how [goods] are being packaged", rhcohen2014?
myself. that is exactly how i filled out my forms and had no issue with declaring anything at landing. i did not take any pictures of anything (including jewelry), and CBSA never asked to see my items, or specifically list every single item in each bag/box/suitcase. all they really care about is whether what you put is actually with you (they asked 3 times if everything on the list is what i have in my car) and how much the value is. that is my experience with b4 forms.

sure, it's possible that's what they prefer and are happy to see it, though it's not required in order to declare a large amount of items. again, this is based on my experience with landing/b4 forms, and what others share on this forum.

were you required to specifically write what each item was when you landed? i have yet to hear about an experience that suggests this is an issue.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
myself. that is exactly how i filled out my forms and had no issue with declaring anything at landing.

i did not take any pictures of anything (including jewelry), and CBSA never asked to see my items, or specifically list what was in each bag/box/suitcase. all they really care about is whether what you put is actually with you (they asked 3 times if everything on the list is what i have in my car) and how much the value is. that is my experience with b4 forms.

were you required to specifically write what each item was when you landed? i have yet to hear about an experience that suggests this is an issue.
Thanks for clarifying you were sharing your personal experience. It could add a significant burden if people were obligated to declare how goods are packaged.

It's a relief to know nothing has changed and people can continue to declare goods based on what is convenient for their specific situation.

Regarding jewelry, as I said above, the photos serve both at initial importation and subsequent border crossings. They are for your protection (not CBSA's). In fact, per CBSA's instructions:

Code:
You should describe each item of jewellery you plan to bring into Canada on the list of goods you submit. Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later on when you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.
http://cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
OhCanadiana said:
Thanks for clarifying you were sharing your personal experience. It could add a significant burden if people were obligated to declare how goods are packaged.

It's a relief to know nothing has changed and people can continue to declare goods based on what is convenient for their specific situation.

Regarding jewelry, as I said above, the photos serve both at initial importation and subsequent border crossings. They are for your protection (not CBSA's). In fact, per CBSA's instructions:

Code:
You should describe each item of jewellery you plan to bring into Canada on the list of goods you submit. Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later on when you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.
http://cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html
i think it's important to note, that is specifically for expensive/valuable jewelery. it is not necessary to list out every piece of costume jewelry coming to canada. all i did was provide a value for the lot and listed it as "bag of costume jewelry". also, any jewelry being worn at time of declaration (ie: wedding rings) don't need to go on a b4 form.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
i think it's important to note, that is specifically for expensive/valuable jewelery. it is not necessary to list out every piece of costume jewelry coming to canada. all i did was provide a value for the lot and listed it as "bag of costume jewelry".
Agree that most costume jewelry would not be a high value good.

rhcohen2014 said:
also, any jewelry being worn at time of declaration (ie: wedding rings) don't need to go on a b4 form.
This is incorrect. There is no exception from declaration for goods you have with you.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
OhCanadiana said:
Agree that most costume jewelry would not be a high value good.

This is incorrect. There is no exception from declaration for goods you have with you.
there was no need for me to declare my wedding jewelry i was wearing. the officer never asked me to add it to my list. again, this is my experience based on actually delcaring my b4 forms at landing.

were you specifically required to declare your wedding jewelry you were wearing? because my experience is pretty consistent with what everyone else has reported on this forum, and i have yet to see a case where wedding jewelry someone was wearing at landing was required to be added to the b4 declaration form.

wt1

Jul 23, 2010
rhcohen2014 said:
there was no need for me to declare my wedding jewelry i was wearing. the officer never asked me to add it to my list. again, this is my experience based on actually delcaring my b4 forms at landing.

were you specifically required to declare your wedding jewelry you were wearing? because my experience is pretty consistent with what everyone else has reported on this forum, and i have yet to see a case where wedding jewelry someone was wearing at landing was required to be added to the b4 declaration form.
My uncle and family was returning from abroad and was asked by the CBSA officer to show that the jewelry (including wedding bands) they had with them was previously owned by them. They were able to show jewelry on the B4 they had turned in years ago.

So I agree with OhCanadiana in that declaring your wedding and other jewelry is in your (the person who is landing) interest. The CBSA's rules are clear. Just because they don't go out of their way to ask you to declare it at landing doesn't mean that they can't ask you to prove prior ownership at later entries. Having it on the B4 saves hassle and potentially having to pay duties.

If you didn't declare at landing, the probability they would ask for proof is not zero but is not 100% either, so don't sweat it. ;)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
wt1 said:
My uncle and family was returning from abroad and was asked by the CBSA officer to show that the jewelry (including wedding bands) they had with them was previously owned by them. They were able to show jewelry on the B4 they had turned in years ago.

So I agree with OhCanadiana in that declaring your wedding and other jewelry is in your (the person who is landing) interest. The CBSA's rules are clear. Just because they don't go out of their way to ask you to declare it at landing doesn't mean that they can't ask you to prove prior ownership at later entries. Having it on the B4 saves hassle and potentially having to pay duties.

If you didn't declare at landing, the probability they would ask for proof is not zero but is not 100% either, so don't sweat it. ;)
i have no concerns about cbsa asking me to prove how old my wedding ring is. if they ask for a receipt, i am happy to provide it along with the original appraisal. i am not too worried about having to pay duty on a wedding ring i wear everyday since being married. it would be obvious to anyone it was not new.

if that's someone's concern, to each their own. i just know in my experience it wasn't necessary, and many other people here report the same.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
acapeg, landing should be a happy, exciting experience. A moment that will likely be imprinted in your memory for a long time to come. I hope you have a wonderful Officer, one of those who says ‘Welcome to Canada!’ with a big grin and immediately makes you feel 'at home.' If you have any other questions as you prep for landing, please don’t hesitate to chime in here, in a new thread, or via PM as you get ready.

acapeg

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
HONG KONG
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2013
Doc's Request.
7-3-2014 police clearance certificate
AOR Received.
8-4-2014
File Transfer...
8-5-2014
Med's Done....
26-10-2013, 18-3-2014 (x-ray)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-9-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-9-2014
LANDED..........
March 2015
thanks guys !
But now my problem is I cant find the Form BSF186A on the internet !
Anyone can let me know ????

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
acapeg said:
thanks guys !
But now my problem is I cant find the Form BSF186A on the internet !
Anyone can let me know ????
Here are the links:

B4: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

B4a: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4a.pdf

CBSA guide for immigrants: http://cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html