+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and leaving the country after getting PR Card

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
    • Hi,

Me and family got PR visa.
      As we have to return to India for resigning the current job and settling some obligations, we cannot stay in Canada for more than 50 days. Our plan is to land in Canada, get the PR Card, SIN and return to India for a period of one year or more.
      I have seen several posts on this topic,but to make sure I would like to know whether :

Is it mandatory to return to Canada within a year after getting PR card.?

Is there any problem if we return to Canada just after an year (say 14 or 15 months ) of our first exit from there.?

Would like to hear some comments from seniors.

Regards,

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
jojok9 said:
    • Hi,

Me and family got PR visa.
      As we have to return to India for resigning the current job and settling some obligations, we cannot stay in Canada for more than 50 days. Our plan is to land in Canada, get the PR Card, SIN and return to India for a period of one year or more.
      I have seen several posts on this topic,but to make sure I would like to know whether :

Is it mandatory to return to Canada within a year after getting PR card.?

Is there any problem if we return to Canada just after an year (say 14 or 15 months ) of our first exit from there.?

Would like to hear some comments from seniors.

Regards.

faalgoon

Dec 25, 2008
No restriction at all. to keep your PR valid, you have to stay in canada a total of 2 year within the first 5 year. thats all. theres no restriction on entrance or exit.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
You have to land within one year of the medicals.
However, once you land, to keep the PR valid, you have to stay in Canada for 2 years within the prior 5 years. But if 5 years hadn't passed yet since you landed, then they look to see if you could possibly make those 2 years within the first 5 years. If you can, you PR is valid. If not, then its invalid.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And it's not just the first 5 years, it's any 5 year period. Your first 5 years as a PR, you need to stay in Canada for at least 730 days. Make sure you keep your tickets or boarding cards to prove this later. After you have been a PR for 5 years, you have to have been in Canada always for at least 730 days in the last 5 years.

What you are planning, that is landing and then leaving for a year will not be a problem.