Thanks for ur reverts people

Abhi

PM48633

Star Member
Nov 6, 2009
Hi,
Hi,

Please find my landing experience in Toronto Canada

Landed in Toronto Canada on BA flight at 18:30.
The procedure was smooth following are the details
Filled up the Landing form which gives the details of custom rules
1. Landed and proceeded to Immigration counter where in the officer stamped our passports he filled up the COPR forms and we signed it a copy was attached to the passport and we were welcomed to Canada we were told that the PR cards would arrive in3 to 4 weeks .
2. We then proceeded to the Welcome Canada counter where we were given some pamphlets and books and a bag with regards to settling in Canada.
3. We then collected our luggages please note keep change 2 CAD per trolley which can get you the trolleys You could also hire a porter who charges you CAD 10 plus CAD 2 for each trolley. Which can be avoided, as the trolleys are quite good to handle.
4. We then proceeded to customs and the officer checked our passports and asked us for the goods to be followed and the goods carried along list.
5. He also wanted the photograph of Gold and Jewelry which if mentioned in the goods to follow list not much concerned about the Goods carried along..
6. He stamped the Goods to follow list and give us a print out of the value of Goods to followed printed on it also details were mentioned on the COPR which was attached to the passport .we were instructed to keep the COPR form and the printed custom form and the goods to follow list with us when we bring the goods to follow.
7. Landed in Brampton at a relatives place.
8. It is very useful to have some one in Canada to take you around.
9. Next morning went to get my SIN (Social Insurance) and received a temp SIN number for self and family and were informed that the SIN cards would come in a couple of weeks.
10. Next went to the Bank TD trust bank had carried the funds for 3 in Travelers cheques and around thousand CAD in cash. Opened a account with the bank which was a checking account where there is no interest and a tax free Savings account for Self and my spouse (The Tax free savings account allows a person to save max CAD 5000 where in you do not pay tax on the interest however you could move the funds to your checking account when you want the funds but can only deposit them in the Tax free savings account once a year)
11. Got a unsecured VISA credit card for CAD 500 since I had a Job letter with our relatives Dealership business.
12. Wife was given a CAD 500 secured visa, which is secured against your funds in your account.
13. Always advisable to start building your credit history by using your credit cards wisely and paying by due date. The more you build your credit and use it wisely it is advisable as it would help you build up your credit points and would help you in taking your mortgage early.
14. Avoid applying for credit cards left right and center as every time you get rejected it reflects on your credit history unlike in India.as the co issuing the card would pull up our credit history which we do not have and for every credit history check we loose points. Hence avoid.
15. Next went in for a phone connection Post paid Bell Solo connection for 45CAD which gives 400 minutes talk time (Free from 6:00 PM to 8:00AM). Additional 10 CAD for free incoming 6 CAD for Caller ID.
16. There are various schemes for International dialing to India I got a scheme where in with CAD 10 I can speak for 10 Hrs any time of the day excluding Air time hence better to call during the free time (Free from 6:00 PM to 8:00AM).
17. Next checked out a Apt near Citi center in Brampton where in we applied for a 1 year lease with 1st and last cheque as advance.1BHK with den is around CAD 1055 and 2 BHK with den is around 1175.Awaiting confirmation as the larger Apts do a check on your credit history before confirming
18. Continued for the Job search (Please note you would need to modify your Resume to apply jobs in Canada refer www.settlement.org
19. Please note you would start receiving call once you have a Canadian Address and a Canadian contact number on your resume.(I received calls on my cell and the C/O residence number.
20. Scheduled for an interview today with a financial company as per my profile. Looking forward to getting selected.
This was my experience in Canada post landing on the 25th till today 29th April.
Do contact me in case any one has any queries that I could be of any help would be accessing the foroum frequently .
Regards,

PM48633

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
That was really smooth PM.
You were so good to have all the experiences documented nicely for our benefit.
Best wishes in Canada.

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi PM48633,

Really nice of you to take out time to share your landing experience.
Does that mean that i do not need the photographs of jewellery which i am carrying with me or sporting on me or my family members.Maybe we just need to declare it to them or show it to them.Is it only in the case of jewellery which is declared in the goods to be brought list at a later date, where we need the photos.
Wish you all the Best.

Regards

sharma77

Aug 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2009
AOR Received.
28-05-2009
File Transfer...
02-06-2009
Med's Done....
07-08-2009
Passport Req..
08-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2009
LANDED..........
yeh on 19 june,2010 canada is amazing
good job pm48633
has anybody checked ur documents or POF @ toronto ?

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Post by avishekchaudhury: Thanks for sharing.

Dear All,

Sorry I to have disappear from the forum for the last few days

Well, we landed in Toronto on the 16th of April, via the Emirates flight from kolkata.

It was soo easy at the Immigration Section. We went to the immigration officer, who asked us a couple of questions only and asked if my last name - Chaudhury - was Bengali ? -I said Yes !!!

He then asked for our COPR's , asked us how much money we were carrying and an address to end off the PR cards to.

After that he let us go and we were directed to a newcomer section, who gave us a lot of books to look into and information of newcomer help.

From there we went to pick up our bags- remember to carry CHANGE $2 per trolley !!! or porters for $10-$12 + tips ( depending on number of bags )

Finally as we went out through customs an immigration officer asked us how much money we were carrying and if we had goods to follow - we did not so, off we went!!!

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Just a small question:
Where typically does one get the "small change"?
I noticed a lot of landing reports say that this is needed.
Do we use the foreign exchange counters at the port of departure?
Do we get "small change" machines at the Airports?
Probably not the most important aspect of landing, but just a nice thing to know.
What's best?

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A big question to all the landed immigrants, most of you have not mentioned whether the immigration officer asks for proof of funds or not and if yes then what was the proof of funds you declared.

Kindly do answer as it will help many new immigrants.

Thanks

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
Honolulu said:
Just a small question:
Where typically does one get the "small change"?
I noticed a lot of landing reports say that this is needed.
Do we use the foreign exchange counters at the port of departure?
Do we get "small change" machines at the Airports?
Probably not the most important aspect of landing, but just a nice thing to know.
What's best?
You can get the necessary FOREX at most of the airports where foreign currency is exchanged.

PM48633

Star Member
Nov 6, 2009
rocky272727,

In my case the Immigration officer just asked me which flight I came through and there was no questions about my proof of funds.
Even at the customs there were no questions about proof of funds.
Any way I had carried proof of funds in T.Cs for a family of 3 and around CAD 1000. I think that is the best form as only when you endorse them will they be en cashable and in case they are lost you could get duplicate ones issued by calling up the Thomas cook number.
I got mine done through Thomas cook and all he charged me was the exchange rate which was very competitive and no commission.

Regards,

Patrick

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PM48633 said:
rocky272727,

In my case the Immigration officer just asked me which flight I came through and there was no questions about my proof of funds.
Even at the customs there were no questions about proof of funds.
Any way I had carried proof of funds in T.Cs for a family of 3 and around CAD 1000. I think that is the best form as only when you endorse them will they be en cashable and in case they are lost you could get duplicate ones issued by calling up the Thomas cook number.
I got mine done through Thomas cook and all he charged me was the exchange rate which was very competitive and no commission.

Regards,

Patrick
Thanks a lot for the answer. Appreciate it.

bdg

Star Member
Apr 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
30-12-2015
File Transfer...
18-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-10-2015
Passport Req..
09-06-2016
I have one question:
did they check for proof of funds physically? if its less than the required fund carrying, did they charge for dt?
is there anyone who used bank statement as POF? if yes, from which country?
Landed immigrants, Plz share....