+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Laminated the Record of Landing document, now it is no longer valid!

sramamur

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Hello Everyone;

My mom's and in-laws Record of Landing document was laminated because I thought that this would preserve the documents for along time. Apparently this amounts to the tampering of the documents and, according to the CIC Officer, these documents are no longer valid. The CIC Officer also told us that we cannot request a replacement document because it is not lost, stolen or destroyed!!

Now my mom and in-laws do not have a valid Record of Landing document and have to rely on their PR cards for crossing the border. This may become an issue at the time of citizenship or other applications. Any idea how can I rectify this mistake?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Sridhar.

R

rish888

1: If possible, could you some have undo the lamination? If you could the problem would be solved.

2: You can apply for a verification of status. On the form just say if was lost or something. I don't think anyone really digs into this.

3: Once you have a valid PR card, you don't really need your record of landing for anything else, including a citizenship application I believe. However, when your mom in law wants to claim pension or something, Service Canada may request her record of landing to verify when she became a PR. However, other than this, I think you should be fine with a PR card.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1: If possible, could you some have undo the lamination? If you could the problem would be solved.

2: You can apply for a verification of status. On the form just say if was lost or something. I don't think anyone really digs into this.

3: Once you have a valid PR card, you don't really need your record of landing for anything else, including a citizenship application I believe. However, when your mom in law wants to claim pension or something, Service Canada may request her record of landing to verify when she became a PR. However, other than this, I think you should be fine with a PR card.
1. You can't undo lamination. OP will need to say the document was lost or destroyed and apply for a new one.
3. You need it to apply for citizenship.

R

rish888

1. You can't undo lamination. OP will need to say the document was lost or destroyed and apply for a new one.
3. You need it to apply for citizenship.
Not necessarily needed for citizenship application. He can

1: Photocopy it. I'm not sure if lamination shows in a photocopy, but if it doesn't he should be good. or

2: Provide a letter explaining he no longer has it in his possession.

Since the OP has a PR card, which is the best proof of status, technically the only recognized proof of status, not having a record of landing shouldn't present an issue, except when applying for pension from service Canada. (I believe the require the CoPR.)

R

rish888

However, if you want you can just apply for a VOS and be done with it. You will have all the documents relating to PR status then.

On the VOS application you can just put lost. They don't ask for an explanation or police number unless you're applying to replace a TRP I believe.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Seems the COPR (or Record of Landing) is a required document for citizenship and the PR card is considered secondary and optional.

[
Note:
If any of the required documents are missing, or photocopies are not clear, your application will be returned to you.

Note: Additional documents may be required during the processing of your application.

1. Immigration documents
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000), or
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), and
  • Permanent resident card (PRC) if you have one.
Immigration documents that prove your status as a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada.

Permanent resident card: you must provide a photocopy of both sides, if you have one.
/QUOTE]

R

rish888

Seems the COPR (or Record of Landing) is a required document for citizenship and the PR card is considered secondary and optional.
True.

The OP can just photocopy the record of landing. I don't think lamination should interfere with a photocopy.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Pretty sure if the laminated original isn't valid, a photocopy of a laminated original won't be valid either.

R

rish888

As long as the lamination is not overtly visible in the photocopy, I guess it shouldn't present an issue.

The OP can just file for VOS. Best course of action.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It will however be extremely obvious that it's a copy. Just looking at the signatures will show that's the case.

R

rish888

It will however be extremely obvious that it's a copy. Just looking at the signatures will show that's the case.
The photocopy statement was in regards to a citizenship application. In the documents checklist, all they ask for is a photocopy, not originals.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Reminder: while only photocopies are submitted with the application, the applicant is required to present the ORIGINAL document during the documents-check interview.

Record of landing or CoPR documents are indeed important and need to be kept, basically, for life.

I am not sure about recent CoPRs but when I received mine it was barely better than tissue paper, a couple folds and it starts to fall apart. So I have made multiple copies and keep the original in a safe place. Only had to present it twice in nearly nine years, first time was to obtain a SIN and SIN card, and the second was at my citizenship documents-check interview (instructions in oath notice said to bring it then as well, and I did, but that was just the second day after my interview and at check-in they emphatically said all I needed to show, and surrender, was my PR card).

Time to submit it a third time is already upon me, for pension benefits, for which I qualify for rather little, falling short of the ten year threshold to qualify for OAS and nine years of CPP contributions does not add up to getting all that much.

sramamur

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Many thanks for all your comments and helpful suggestions. To answer some of the comments:
(1) Lamination cannot be undone. It will destroy the document.
(2) I have photocopies of the CoPR document before it was laminated. However, apparently these are not valid as well according to the CIC officer.
(3) We were also told that CIC needs a police report stating that the document was lost for the purposes of VOS application. This was an input from one officer. Planning to talk to CIC call centre this week.
(4) The original CoPR is needed for citizenship.
(5) The original is also needed for Indian Passport renewal and Indian visa programs such as "Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)"

Thanks again for your help. I will update this post after talking to CIC.

R

rish888

Take a look at the VOS application.

It doesn't ask for a police report number unless you are trying to replace a Temporary Resident Document.

sramamur

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Rish888 is correct!
Talked to a CIC Officer and have been advised to apply for a replacement Record of Landing document through VOS application.
Thanks again for all your helpful comments.