+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LA Passport Turn Around Time

meng5656

Apr 23, 2013
Anushka92 said:
oh never mind...i applied by mail so its different...i applied on the 11th of april...i should've applied online!:(
Online application is the fastest way for sure. Another dude in this forum also applied via mail and got passport back around 33days (if I remember correctly). So perhaps your passport will be mailed out early next week (hopefully).

trigeeky

May 6, 2013
I received approval notice this morning. My travel date is May 25. There is no way I can get my passport back in time. I am thinking of going to the LA consulate in-person and getting my passport stamped. Has anyone tried this before and do they allow in-person visits in some cases? I had totally given up, but then suddenly this morning I got the approval which sparked a tiny bit of hope that I may still be able to make my trip. Are there specific days/hours of visit? Any insights/experiences are appreciated. Thanks!

Rita_1234

Apr 11, 2013
Meng5656 : my timeline is almost the same with you but I haven't got my passport back. I sent the passport on 9 May, UPS confirmed that it arrived on 10 May. It is one day different from yours but you have got your passport back. Now I am concerned why mine hasn't come back.

meng5656

Apr 23, 2013
Rita_1234 said:
Meng5656 : my timeline is almost the same with you but I haven't got my passport back. I sent the passport on 9 May, UPS confirmed that it arrived on 10 May. It is one day different from yours but you have got your passport back. Now I am concerned why mine hasn't come back.
I have to say my case was really lucky considering the whole processing time. I highly doubt they process passports on a time arrival basis (somewhat unfair). Based on others' experiences, LA doesn't take more than 2 weeks to process passports. So I think they will have your passport sent out very soon.

Rita_1234

Apr 11, 2013
I sent a fax this morning. I read from others that they normally reply to the fax than the email. Hopefully I would get it soon (either passport or response).

crydso

May 23, 2013
I sent my passport in April and have NOT heard back from the consulate.....I didn't expect such a long delay!

crydso

May 23, 2013
Guys, I sent my return envelop using Fed Ex....didn't know the requirement was USPS. They received my package April 22nd, 2013....

They cashed my check May 10th, 2013....I'm supposed to travel this Saturday, and now I'm sure what to do....has anyone experienced such a scenario?

A response would be greatly appreciated!

srip

May 13, 2013
I heard they will mail it back using a regular mail which doesn't have any tracking and take 5 -7 business days to receive.

sfcwtu

May 8, 2013
This forum provided me useful information. I would like to share my timeline in return:

Online application submitted: April 28th

Passport requested: May 15th

Passport received by LA consulate: May 16th

Passport mailed out from LA consulate: May 24th

Passport received: May 25th

Although I am on the east coast, I read here too many bad experiences with NY consulate and decided to try LA. I did not try to contact the consulate. The visa says it is issued by CPP Ottawa. It's a transit visa. Now, I am ready for my trip next week.

Rita_1234

Apr 11, 2013
I haven't got my passport back. I sent it since 9 May and received by LA Office on 10 May. I sent it by UPS and the UPS guy told me not to put the envelope inside because the envelope I sent can be re-used. I think this may be the issue. I am so worried. Don't know what to do.

srip

May 13, 2013
Hi Rita,

Not to panic you but I was at NY consulate on Friday (05/24) and the security person sent one applicant back to get a USPS return envelope. She was having a UPS for return and submitting it in person. As written in their website, they might send it through a regular usps mail if you don't have the correct return envelope.

Rita_1234

Apr 11, 2013
I also think that my passport now comes by regular mail which could take 7-10 days. If this is the case, I would definitely go back to the UPS office and tell them not to advise anyone like this again. I still have 3 weeks before my travel date. I just hope that I don't lose my passport.

Rita_1234

Apr 11, 2013
You are absalutely correct. My passport came yesterday (what a relief!) in a normal mail. Lesson Learned, never listen to the UPS guy. Always follow the instruction.