+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kindly please share as Canadians in US on greencard experiences..

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
I moved my family in the US after we received our greencards as me (principal) with highly specialized skills in mechanical engineering. We are in The NorthEast and I now work on hush hush American industry.

My spouse though, we both previously worked in a Canadian National oil and gas company, is having slight difficulty breaking in her expertise. She had an offer by East Indian company and the salary is ludicrous. You can’t blame them for being cheap so we decided she declines the offer. We live comfortably, though it’s hard for someone to be stay at home after being in a position back in Canada.

What are others like me experiencing in the United States?
Thank you for sharing..

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
I would agree that this is not the correct forum for the question posed :) but good luck in finding answers and people to connect with!

Reactions: foodie69

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I moved my family in the US after we received our greencards as me (principal) with highly specialized skills in mechanical engineering. We are in The NorthEast and I now work on hush hush American industry.

My spouse though, we both previously worked in a Canadian National oil and gas company, is having slight difficulty breaking in her expertise. She had an offer by East Indian company and the salary is ludicrous. You can’t blame them for being cheap so we decided she declines the offer. We live comfortably, though it’s hard for someone to be stay at home after being in a position back in Canada.

Thank you for sharing..
It is challenging to find fitting jobs for both, even with green card or citizenship , but there are still much more opportunities in the US (and pay better) - if you are open to relocation, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a location that has desired jobs for both of you

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Thank you all for your kind reply.

I chose to emigrate to the US not because of the melancholy winters and cold summers of Alberta and its not that Canada is bad, but because my children are allowed secret clearances employments to NASA or NSA. Being Canadians robs them of such opportunities.

Heck, they can do what they chose and sure I can afford to send them to great schools here without breaking the bank of student visa rates.

Anyways, this isn’t the forum. I thought there are those who experienced the same for their spouses.

Have a good day.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thank you for sharing..
I would have recommended that your wife take the job that was offered to her in the US - even if the pay was bad. Always easier to find a new job when you already have a job - way easier. Also better from a CV perspective to be gaining US work experience while waiting for the right job instead of being unemployed. But sounds like she already turned down the job so I guess it's too late for that.

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
I would have recommended that your wife take the job that was offered to her in the US - even if the pay was bad. Always easier to find a new job when you already have a job - way easier. Also better from a CV perspective to be gaining US work experience while waiting for the right job instead of being unemployed. But sounds like she already turned down the job so I guess it's too late for that.
You are definitely right. We factored us at a negative after her paycheck. Tolls, trains, lunch money, daycare. It’s not economically feasible. It’s fine though, but the principle. No monitary motivator. Then add stress of her commute, traffic and her work hours.
She have a splid background so I don’t think it’ll be hard for her to look. She can always set up her own shop though.

Thanks.