+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just Landed and Back to the US

Engineer1977

Mar 3, 2008
Hey Gals and Guys,

Just landed in Toronto, it was pretty easy. Make sure you have all your paperwork ready and you'll be fine. Most of the staff in the airport are young and fun. After you pass through the immigration officer, they'll send you to a special section. They ask you for your travel document, verification of money and address where you are going to stay. From then, you are off to customs where they want to know what you are bringing in. Its a document with all the items that you will be bringing in and the value of it. After that, you are free.....Welcome.

I was able to get the SIN number, but didn't have enough document for the health card because I just landed.

I'm back to the US now to get more things sorted out before I make my move. Toronto is a great city I also had a chance to go to Montreal which was great too... loved both cities. People are nice and helpful.

For those with expired H1B visa but current I-94, you are able to exist the country and return within 30 days. Just make sure you have your I-797, I-94 card (white card in the passport) and you'll be good to go.

Let me know if you have any questions about the immigration process or landing. I maybe able to answer since its still fresh

Shyam

Mar 4, 2007
Hi Engineer1977, Thanks for sharing your experience. I am a new immigrant received COPR recently. I am planning to go to Canada early June. I was informed by some one that there might be some sort of interview like with the immigration officer at Airport, is it so ? Do you know anything about this ?

Thanks
Shyam

Engineer1977

Mar 3, 2008
Hi Engineer1977, Thanks for sharing your experience. I am a new immigrant received COPR recently. I am planning to go to Canada early June. I was informed by some one that there might be some sort of interview like with the immigration officer at Airport, is it so ? Do you know anything about this ?

Thanks
Shyam
----------------------------------------------------

Hello Shyam,

Yes, as I mentioned, the first immigration officer will look at through your visa on your passport and your documents (Permenant residence and customs form - obtained during the flight) then will refer you to the next immigration officer which will go through your paper work or interview you. They asked me where I was going to stay in toronto and a proof of my financial statements. It may differ from one officer to another, but it was very quick, the officer filled out some fields on the permenant residence document and sign it. I think I was in there less than 10 minutes. Then you will go to customs to provide a list of your items you are bringing to Canada.
Hope this helps.
Just have all your paperwork in order follow this link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/guide/section-02.asp

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
Congratulations!!!

Question: Do you have any information for those who were on F-1 (student) visa, received H-1 approval letter but do not have H1 stamped on passport? also, F-1 is expired, but valid I-94. can they also return in 30 days back to US or H1 needs to be stamped?

got my medical done in Feb, police report sent in March. Waiting for answer from Buffalo.

Thanks,

Engineer1977

Mar 3, 2008
Bluff Master said:
Congratulations!!!

Question: Do you have any information for those who were on F-1 (student) visa, received H-1 approval letter but do not have H1 stamped on passport? also, F-1 is expired, but valid I-94. can they also return in 30 days back to US or H1 needs to be stamped?

got my medical done in Feb, police report sent in March. Waiting for answer from Buffalo.

Thanks,
You may have to get your visa re-issued while you are in Canada since you are switching from F-1 to H-1, that would be the safest thing, but here is the link with information:
http://www.amcits.com/form_i-94.asp

Good luck.

vicky_m

Nov 13, 2007
you had mentioned that you returned back within a week to USA. DId you got your canadian PR card? I was reading on the forum that there might be an issue if IO wants to see you personally before issuing the pR card.

I would want to go to CAnada for a week and then return and wait for PR to be mail to my relatives address. Hope this does not has any issue. Please share your thoughts.

THanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On their website it says:

For information on citizenship and immigration programs and services, including the Permanent Resident Card program.

1 888 242‑2100 (in Canada only)

They don't give a number for if you are overseas except to call your embassy or visa office. You can try to call that number anyway, if it doesn't work, maybe you can use some type of internet phone program to get yourself a virtual canadian phone number to call from. Maybe you should double check the address you gave them to mail it to.

For vicky_m, if you are landing in Canada as a PR, they will mail you the card. In that case, you can give your relatives address and go back while you wait for the card to show up in the mail. If you are renewing an expired card, they will not mail it and in that case they will send it to the closest immigration office and notify you to come there and pick it up.

SAM6

Aug 16, 2008
V Good!

I landed and back to middle east where I live BUT my wife is pregnant with our third child. She is also out of canada

PR card is with our relative in Toronto

How do you apply for the child AFTER he/she ( not sure yet ! ) is born , any advise please ??

Thanks a lot

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a PR, you can not sponsor your baby from outside Canada. You should try to get a visa for the baby to come with you to Canada but there were already people on here who tried that and were denied causing them to have to split up their family where the husband went to Canada to sponsor the baby as a PR and the wife had to stay in 'old country' with the baby and since they had almost been outside of Canada for 3 years, she stood to lose her PR because of that. I find it hard to believe that immigration is not taking this possibility into account. Even PR's who are lviing in Canada full time could have it happen that the baby is born prematurely during a temporary stay in another country and then what.. they can't take it back home because it doesn't have a visa?

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
Engineer1977 said:
You may have to get your visa re-issued while you are in Canada since you are switching from F-1 to H-1, that would be the safest thing, but here is the link with information:
http://www.amcits.com/form_i-94.asp

Good luck.
Thanks Engineer for your reply and sorry for my late reply.
I received my passport with visa stamped on it in August. I will be going to Canada in Nov. Per reading different psots in this and other forums, I have scheduled an appointment with US embassy for H1 visa so I can come back to US and wrap up things and move back to Canada.
A situation that is bothering me and requires some clarification. I plan to drive to Toronto, Canada via Buffalo, NY. Anyone who knows about h1 stamping will know what I am talking about. I couldn't get interview dates in Toronto, Ottawa, amd Calgary. Vancouver was the only place that had an opening for an interview in November. So I reserved the slot. My question is that what if the US immigration office in Vancouver asks me that why did I chose Vancouver provided there were other cities in east coast. My job is also in NY.
Please advise.
Thanks.

smiss9

Sep 18, 2008
Hi Engineer1977,

You have mention that could not get health card because of not having all documents.Can you please tell me what are documents required to get health card so we can carry accordingly as we are planning to go to canada in Jan'09.

Also if anybody can tell us regarding accomodation.How to go about it.

Smiss