Athens
Category........
Visa Office......
Italy
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/02/2012
Is it possible to go and work in Toronto as soon as possible?
My aunt has offered me a job at her dry cleaners shop, and she would like me to start in the end of August or beginning of September so I can be there for the back to school season.

FYI: I am a U.S citizen.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
First your aunt needs to obtain an approved LMO:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

Once she has an approved LMO, you must then apply for a work permit. You can do this at the border when you enter Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

Obtaining an approved LMO will take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

cherryhead122

Jul 13, 2012
Athens
Category........
Visa Office......
Italy
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/02/2012
[size=10pt]U.S. citizens do not require a Labour Market Opinion. The only requirement is a job offer from a Canadian employer.[/size]
Is this true?
if so can I apply for a work permit at the border just with a job offer?
And do I have to wait till I receive my work permit so I can start working?
I've seen that it takes more than a year to receive a work permit, that would not be a good option for me as I would need to start work on September 2012

out

Jun 23, 2012
go to cic website finding u.s citizen as worker and look for the requirements to do. all non canadian citizen undergo work permit regardless of citizenship before any job to be taken. unless you want to start doing your job with or without work permit for the reason of time is running out; it's at your end if risk will come your way - just my 2cents piece of cake....

cherryhead122

Jul 13, 2012
Athens
Category........
Visa Office......
Italy
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/02/2012
the thing is that legally I am a Canadian citizen because I was born to a Canadian mother. My citizenship has not come in yet and it might take another 6 months till I get it, which I dont have the time.

out

Jun 23, 2012
where does proof of legalities come from?...it is in the paper; black and white. so for as long as you are registered and you got your sin no. (all the people working in canada regardless of what citizenship beholds a sin)... that's is why TFW altho issued a sin card has a special no. that starts with 9 to identify as temporary sin no. when work permit expires so with the vaildity of sin. when you renew work permit you also renew/update/inform service canada to issue you again a new sin no....to all TFW here, do you also renew your sin no. whenever you renew your permit? dont forget!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cherryhead122 said:
the thing is that legally I am a Canadian citizen because I was born to a Canadian mother. My citizenship has not come in yet and it might take another 6 months till I get it, which I dont have the time.
You're not legally a Canadian citizen yet. You won't be a Canadian citizen legally until your citizenship confirmation comes through.

cherryhead122

Jul 13, 2012
Athens
Category........
Visa Office......
Italy
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/02/2012
Is it true that I might not be able to get a work permit because technically I'm a citizen.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If you have not started the process to obtain your"Canadian" citizenship confirmation, then you are not a Canadian citizen yet so you have go through the process of obtaining a WP. You have to obtain a LMO beffore you can apply at the border. Your aunt who is your prospective employer has to advertise for the position at the job bank for at least 14 days and prove that no Canadian citizen or PR applied and qualified before she can apply for a LMO in your favour. The process of obtaining a LMO/WP will take probably as long as the process of obtaining your citizenship confirmation and you have more options if are a citizen.

cherryhead122 said:
Is it true that I might not be able to get a work permit because technically I'm a citizen.

cherryhead122

Jul 13, 2012
Athens
Category........
Visa Office......
Italy
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/02/2012
On the CIC site it says that employers do not need to get a LMO for U.S citizens.
I have started the citizenship application, I submitted it to the embassy in February 2012.
So does this mean that I cant do nothing, and that I have to wait for the citizenship which is probably gonna take another 6-10 months?
WTF if thats true, then that really sucks, I have ready employment waiting for me and I have to sit here in Greece unemployed till I get citizenship? DAMN!!! :'(
This is very disappointing!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cherryhead122 said:
On the CIC site it says that employers do not need to get a LMO for U.S citizens.
This only applies if the job your are planning to take falls under NAFTA. Working at a dry cleaners does not fall under NAFTA.

You have two choices:

1) Wait for your citizenship application to come through.

2) Have your aunt obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion (LMO) and then you can apply for a work permit when you cross the border into Canada. Unfortunately it's unlikely this second options will succeed. To be approved for an LMO, your aunt needs to be able to prove that she advertised the job and was unable to find a Canadian to hire for the role. I think she's going to have difficulty proving that she could find someone else to hire. But she can certainly try. Also, it for aunt is successful in obtaining an approved LMO, it will probably take her a few months to do this.

cherryhead122

Jul 13, 2012
Athens
Category........
Visa Office......
Italy
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/02/2012
This very very disappointing news to me :-[
How is the citizenship process exactly, meaning what are the steps.
I guess I've already done step 1 which was to fill out the application with all the need documents attached and submit it to the embassy.
What comes after that?
I'm asking just so I can know, sorry if I'm getting annoying.
I guess I shouldnt of gotten my hopes up when my aunt told me to go and work for her but what can I do, I had gotten to a desperate point, being unemployed for a year and all.
This just really sucks.

Arthur123

Jul 12, 2012
you are in US so its not a big deal to move to toronto. just go for it and spend your time in making some money..

cherryhead122

Jul 13, 2012
Athens
Category........
Visa Office......
Italy
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/02/2012
How would I make money if I can't work there?