+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job needed 20+ years in restaurant management

Sep 11, 2017
Hello,
Trying to become a Canadian citizen and was told securing a job would help. I currently reside in the states. "Tennessee" I have been in the restaurant management business for 20+ years, I have a family of 6 and could really use some help with info & friends living in Canada. Thank you for ANY advise, help or just friendship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
Trying to become a Canadian citizen and was told securing a job would help. I currently reside in the states. "Tennessee" I have been in the restaurant management business for 20+ years, I have a family of 6 and could really use some help with info & friends living in Canada. Thank you for ANY advise, help or just friendship.
Hi

You can't just become a Canadian citizen, regardless of what job offer you have. You must first become a PR. You need to research Canada's immigration programs to see if you qualify.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As explained above, you need to become a permanent resident and live in Canada for a number of years before you can apply for citizenship. For permanent residency, I would recommend you start by researching the Express Entry immigration program to see if you qualify to apply. This is a points-based system and you'll want to have a score of 430 or above to have a decent chance of being selected. To be accepted through this program, you will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support your family. For immigration purposes your family includes yourself, your spouse/common law partner and any dependent children (it does not include parents or adult children). You'll need to show a bank balance of around $30K CAD to be approved for a family of your size.

Sep 11, 2017
As explained above, you need to become a permanent resident and live in Canada for a number of years before you can apply for citizenship. For permanent residency, I would recommend you start by researching the Express Entry immigration program to see if you qualify to apply. This is a points-based system and you'll want to have a score of 430 or above to have a decent chance of being selected. To be accepted through this program, you will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support your family. For immigration purposes your family includes yourself, your spouse/common law partner and any dependent children (it does not include parents or adult children). You'll need to show a bank balance of around $30K CAD to be approved for a family of your size.

Sep 11, 2017
I was told that I can't live in Canada without citizenship? 6 months only. How can I move to Canada and buy a house & find a job without citizenship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was told that I can't live in Canada without citizenship? 6 months only. How can I move to Canada and buy a house & find a job without citizenship?
No - that's no how it works at all. Again, you can't apply for citizenship directly. You have to become a permanent resident first - this is similar to having a green card in the US. Once you have PR, you can move to Canada and find a house and job.

You need to stop listening to whoever told you that you need citizenship to do these things. That person has no idea what he/she is talking about and doesn't understand the very basics of Canada's immigration system.

Again, you need to spend time reading through the information in the link that was provided to you above to understand Canada's different immigration programs and what it takes to apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
You apply for immigration, the CIC website has plenty of resources that you can start reading about to get started

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok so you can be 6 months in Canada as a tourist without any type of special permit (I assume that you have USA citizenship). But with that you cannot work in Canada (but you can still be sent there for a short business trip from your home company). And of course you cannot use the public health system (but you can buy private insurance for travelling).
Now if you want to stay longer or work you need some kind of permit. Either work permit under nafta or study permit (that allows you to work to the certain extent). There are also others, but your case might not qualify for them (Postrgadual work permit - you can get it only after finishing studies), open work permit for working holiday (but you are too old for that - age limit 35).
And then there is permanent residency (something like green card for Canada).

Why did you get confused
What you read, that you need job offer first to be able to live in Canada is kind of correct. In your case. Why? Because I estimate your age somewhere between 40 and 50. With such age you will not have enough points to be invited directly to apply for permanent residency. So your only chance would be either provincial nomination (but majority of them asks you to have connections to the province - like studied there, worked there or have family there) or to get job offer and later on (with several years of Canadian work experience) to get permanent residency.

But to stay without headaches how to renew your temporary status, most people want to get Permanent residency (and later on Citizenship).
That is why people here are advising you to got for permanent residency,

And now to your question about job search. This is not a job portal, so your chances to see any job offer here are close to 0. When it comes to job seeking, the standard advice is networking, linkedin, indeed, monster... and such thing.
Be also aware that any canadian emoployer is very reluctant to hire anybody from abroad. Especially because of the work permit. But then again your job might be under Nafta agreement, so they will not need LMIA (to proove, that they cannot hire canadian or PR for that job).

Good luck.

Sep 11, 2017
I'm really motivated to move my family as we don't fit into our surroundings here in the USA. Whatever I need to do I'm willing. I just need the correct info and help. I've already contacted a
Ok so you can be 6 months in Canada as a tourist without any type of special permit (I assume that you have USA citizenship). But with that you cannot work in Canada (but you can still be sent there for a short business trip from your home company). And of course you cannot use the public health system (but you can buy private insurance for travelling).
Now if you want to stay longer or work you need some kind of permit. Either work permit under nafta or study permit (that allows you to work to the certain extent). There are also others, but your case might not qualify for them (Postrgadual work permit - you can get it only after finishing studies), open work permit for working holiday (but you are too old for that - age limit 35).
And then there is permanent residency (something like green card for Canada).

Why did you get confused
What you read, that you need job offer first to be able to live in Canada is kind of correct. In your case. Why? Because I estimate your age somewhere between 40 and 50. With such age you will not have enough points to be invited directly to apply for permanent residency. So your only chance would be either provincial nomination (but majority of them asks you to have connections to the province - like studied there, worked there or have family there) or to get job offer and later on (with several years of Canadian work experience) to get permanent residency.

But to stay without headaches how to renew your temporary status, most people want to get Permanent residency (and later on Citizenship).
That is why people here are advising you to got for permanent residency,

And now to your question about job search. This is not a job portal, so your chances to see any job offer here are close to 0. When it comes to job seeking, the standard advice is networking, linkedin, indeed, monster... and such thing.
Be also aware that any canadian emoployer is very reluctant to hire anybody from abroad. Especially because of the work permit. But then again your job might be under Nafta agreement, so they will not need LMIA (to proove, that they cannot hire canadian or PR for that job).

Good luck.

Sep 11, 2017
Thank you for all the info and clearing up alot of my questions. Hate to hear I have little to no chance of moving to Canada though. I've done alot of research on a town in Canada called Monckton and fell in love with the area, people and living. My 3rd generation grandparents are from Canada and I don't feel I fit in the US living,people area. Hopes destroyed....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for all the info and clearing up alot of my questions. Hate to hear I have little to no chance of moving to Canada though. I've done alot of research on a town in Canada called Monckton and fell in love with the area, people and living. My 3rd generation grandparents are from Canada and I don't feel I fit in the US living,people area. Hopes destroyed....
Before you assume it's a no - you should do the basic research. Calculate how many points you have under Express Entry. If you have 430+ points - you have a good chance of being selected. If you're in the low or mid 300's - Express Entry isn't going to happen and it's probably going to be very difficult through the Provincial streams as well. Canada's immigration programs are geared towards young workers. Here's the calculator:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
no one said it's a no, you just have to consider all your options. The "no" part is for finding a job on this forum

Sep 11, 2017
Before you assume it's a no - you should do the basic research. Calculate how many points you have under Express Entry. If you have 430+ points - you have a good chance of being selected. If you're in the low or mid 300's - Express Entry isn't going to happen and it's probably going to be very difficult through the Provincial streams as well. Canada's immigration programs are geared towards young workers. Here's the calculator:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp