+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job interview today, any chance work permit could be expedited?

quercus

Mar 9, 2016
Alberta
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
late May 2016
Doc's Request.
mid-Aug 2016
AOR Received.
late June 2016
File Transfer...
early-Aug 2016 (same as SA?)
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
mid-Sept 2016
LANDED..........
Apr 2017
I have a job interview today & they're going to ask about my status. Might it be possible to get the application or at least the work permit expedited, if I have a job offer? I know there are no guarantees, but I'd like to be able to tell the interviewer if it's possible.
I may also be able to go through NAFTA, though I think that makes me a TFW & I don't know how that would affect my PR application..?
The company is owned by an American company, so perhaps I could also be an American working for an American company in Canada. Also might affect PR. Sigh.

I'm applying outland from the USA, c-l partner is Canadian citizen. Applied late May, got SA August 3, had to turn in a Statutory Dec of C-L Marriage (IMM 5409) yesterday. I know some Americans' PR have been coming through Ottawa blazing fast, I'm thinking just a few months, but I can't find any specific posts about it right now. I'm hoping we'll be as lucky, especially if I get a job offer!

Any wisdom would be appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no work permit granted with the outland spousal sponsorship process - so from that regard there's nothing to expedite. And CIC certainly won't expedite the sponsorship application so that you can be a PR sooner.

If you want to work ahead of becoming a PR, then you'd need to get a work permit through NAFTA as you've said. This has no impact on your PR application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BTW - if you were not forthcoming about your status when you applied - I would very highly suggest that you open the interview with this information. From the perspective of someone who does a great deal of hiring - I hate it when people aren't honest from the start (i.e from the time they apply). It's an interview ender for me.

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
quercus said:
I have a job interview today & they're going to ask about my status. Might it be possible to get the application or at least the work permit expedited, if I have a job offer? I know there are no guarantees, but I'd like to be able to tell the interviewer if it's possible.
I may also be able to go through NAFTA, though I think that makes me a TFW & I don't know how that would affect my PR application..?
The company is owned by an American company, so perhaps I could also be an American working for an American company in Canada. Also might affect PR. Sigh.

I'm applying outland from the USA, c-l partner is Canadian citizen. Applied late May, got SA August 3, had to turn in a Statutory Dec of C-L Marriage (IMM 5409) yesterday. I know some Americans' PR have been coming through Ottawa blazing fast, I'm thinking just a few months, but I can't find any specific posts about it right now. I'm hoping we'll be as lucky, especially if I get a job offer!

Any wisdom would be appreciated!
My hubby had three job offers and we even flew to Vancouver for interview and the Work Permit took 1.5 years...He did not go through NAFTA..and because one of the Work permits was denied in 2014 there is STILL a red flag on his file and he is an approved PR living in Canada...at this moment we understand it will take at least a year to remove the flag....

quercus

Mar 9, 2016
Alberta
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
late May 2016
Doc's Request.
mid-Aug 2016
AOR Received.
late June 2016
File Transfer...
early-Aug 2016 (same as SA?)
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
mid-Sept 2016
LANDED..........
Apr 2017
scylla said:
BTW - if you were not forthcoming about your status when you applied - I would very highly suggest that you open the interview with this information. From the perspective of someone who does a great deal of hiring - I hate it when people aren't honest from the start (i.e from the time they apply). It's an interview ender for me.
Thanks for the info. I know there isn't normally a separate work permit when applying outland, but I thought perhaps there was some way, since it would make a Canadian's life easier if they didn't have to support their spouse/partner. I was 99% sure this would not be the case, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

I was referred to the job by a friend who works there, so they knew I wasn't PR before I started. We talked about it and NAFTA in the interview. I wouldn't lie anyway, but there would be no point in trying to sneak in, since HR would hit a brick wall as soon as they try to process you. I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with this. Bizarre.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
quercus said:
I was referred to the job by a friend who works there, so they knew I wasn't PR before I started. We talked about it and NAFTA in the interview. I wouldn't lie anyway, but there would be no point in trying to sneak in, since HR would hit a brick wall as soon as they try to process you. I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with this. Bizarre.
If the position does qualify under NAFTA, you could flagpole at the Canada-US border and have a work permit that day. You would need to check the requirements but I believe you just need a formal job offer and proof that you have the necessary qualifications. As scylla said, this would have no effect on your PR app.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
If the position does qualify under NAFTA, you could flagpole at the Canada-US border and have a work permit that day. You would need to check the requirements but I believe you just need a formal job offer and proof that you have the necessary qualifications. As scylla said, this would have no effect on your PR app.
The OP better hurry before Bubba Gump Trump dismantles NAFTA. ;D