+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is legal status now required for In-Canada Spousal or Common-Law sponsorship?

jsrnm

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
I did think of this. Yes I will look into it. It seems a little unfair to do this but if it's an option then I guess I could.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ponga said:
To add to the confusion, CIC did NOT change this (instructions in the updated Guide for question 10 on form IMM 0008)

For out-of-status applicants:

Under “Status” select “Other”;
Under “Other” type in “Out of status, requires restoration”;
Leave the “From” and “To” boxes blank.

So, should that have been changed to something like:

For out-of-status applicants:
STOP. YOU ARE INELIGIBLE TO APPLY!
(or something similar)?
I tend to agree with this. If being out of status suddenly makes someone ineligible to apply for PR, it should become it's own question somewhere on the PR app. i.e. in Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669] form, #6 asks a bunch of point blank Yes/No questions which all could make an applicant ineligible or have a big impact on the final decision if they answer Yes to anything. CIC would definitely need to add something like "are you currently out of status in Canada?" to this list.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
jsrnm said:
I did think of this. Yes I will look into it. It seems a little unfair to do this but if it's an option then I guess I could.
Yes, it would be quicker to apply in London VO than inland I should say.

thegorchess

Star Member
Jun 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
01-10-2013
brucem said:
Why are you mad, as from your previous posts your husband is American, I don't see why he should be out of status? Some situations I could possibly understand but I'm struggling to find a reason for a US citizen to be out of status in Canada without taking some personal responsibility for that happening?
Ya picking fights, bro?

He ran out of time and from what we understood from the website he didn’t need legal status. Remember how that was listed throughout this thread. We also thought this process would be one hell of a lot faster.

Thanks for your compassion.

fugaziosbourne

Aug 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
01-10-2013
brucem said:
This is probably off topic and I'm not trying to open up a Pandoras box here but I guess I get frustrated when I could have quite easily stayed in Canada and worked illegally as I was offered a position with a large chain to work cash in hand, but I decided to go down the proper routes which has taken some time. Then you hear about people being fast tracked to the front of the queue when they are discovered to be out of status while the rest of us have to wait patiently. And what really grinds my gears is people who then blame the Canadian Government for a situation they have made a conscious decision to be in. I understand everyones circumstances influence the choices they make especially when you mention you had to make your choice becuase of family, but you make that decision you have to live with the possible consequences I suppose. Anyway I'm not trying to make a unpleasant time any worse for anyone but it was just my two cents.
I know where you can stick those two cents...

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
fugaziosbourne said:
I know where you can stick those two cents...
[/quote

Why a need to be abusive I am simply airing my opinion.

thegorchess said:
Ya picking fights, bro?

He ran out of time and from what we understood from the website he didn't need legal status. Remember how that was listed throughout this thread. We also thought this process would be one hell of a lot faster.

Thanks for your compassion.
Picking fights....bro? As I said above it is simply my opinion. We are all adults and we live or die by our decisions in life. You have the option to remedy a mistake and avoid the risk....if you choose not to then good luck but then you leave yourself open to these possibilities.

thegorchess

Star Member
Jun 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
01-10-2013
Maybe it is because you are kicking people when they are down?

Everything we did was acceptable according to their rules at that time. So you think we should have predicted what was going to happen. That we are 100% responsible for being so irresponsible. The fact the that timelines doubled, we should have seen that. The fact that they changed their policy regarding this issue, we should have seen that. It all falls on our heads and you are right to chide us like bad children.

fugaziosbourne

Aug 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
01-10-2013
thegorchess said:

Everything we did was acceptable according to their rules at that time. So you think we should have predicted what was going to happen. That we are 100% responsible for being so irresponsible. The fact the that timelines doubled, we should have seen that. The fact that they changed their policy regarding this issue, we should have seen that. It all falls on our heads and you are right to chide us like bad children.
Well, you should have been able to predict this. Canadians are known for their psychic abilities...and superhuman strength.

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
thegorchess said:

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about since you've applied last year.

I'd even say for the people that just applied they're probably be okay too. This is quite a big change for inland spousal processing and I would expect more of an official notice from CIC than just a change or wording from the application guide.

Kev1n

Nov 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
AOR Received.
01/08/2014
File Transfer...
01/08/2014 ( 26/09/2014--AOR2)
Med's Request
14/10/2014
Med's Done....
17/08/2013
Passport Req..
14/10/2014
jsrnm said:
Carlaganda23 I would love to do that I just can't leave my son. His dad works full time no one to take of him. He is only 4. He has never been a day without me. If I leave Canada I would be afraid they did not let me back in to wait for my PR.

I just saw that too ponga I may still have time
What if you was to leave Canada for a holiday for a few weeks, when you get back apply outland. Your passport will not be stamped when you leave, Just an idea...

jsrnm

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
Kevn1 I am afraid of them not letting me back in. I will travel with my son so it's kinda scary

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
jsrnm said:
Kevn1 I am afraid of them not letting me back in. I will travel with my son so it's kinda scary
It might be an idea to hold off on an application until there is some clarity on this new policy. I understand your in a very tricky position so I apologise if I came across as rather unsympathetic in my previous posts. There is also an option of putting a humanitarian and compassionate application in. I don't know much about this apart from that it's more complicated. An Outland application may also be an option but your right on possibly not being allowed back into Canada...however that being said if this policy is correct it might be your only option. I guess the big question is would an immigration officer know you had overstayed when you came back to Canada? It would be a pretty harsh officer to stop a mother coming back. I guess you would have to ensure you knew the rules, bought a return plane ticket and showed some ties to the UK.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
jsrnm said:
when a US citizen has a PR application in the system, the border agents are more lenient on crossings. if they are concerned about your stay, they will most likely issue a visitor's record. If you can prove ties to the US, even better. once you're in, you're in, and you can then extend your stay and be here LEGALLY while the outland application processes. Right now it's taking an average of 5-6 months TOTAL for US applicants.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
when a US citizen has a PR application in the system, the border agents are more lenient on crossings. if they are concerned about your stay, they will most likely issue a visitor's record. If you can prove ties to the US, even better. once you're in, you're in, and you can then extend your stay and be here LEGALLY while the outland application processes. Right now it's taking an average of 5-6 months TOTAL for US applicants.
This member is not a U.S. citizen.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Ponga said:
This member is not a U.S. citizen.
oh oops, i think i meant to quote another poster who IS a us citizen with no status. or did i imagine that?