+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it too risky? I need advice! :)

palitopalito

Oct 1, 2019
Hello!

So basically I'm about to apply for a study permit. I'm from Mexico and I have a bachelor's degree in communications. I graduated in dec last year and I've been working for a local clothing company where I create visual content. I applied for a photography diploma at Seneca college and I already have my acceptance letter and paid tuition.

Do you guys think it would be risky to apply for a diploma instead of a post graduate certificate? Photography is what I want to focus on since is heavily related to communications, but to get a better job I'd like to have some kind of certification or diploma.

I haven't found any post graduate certificates for photography since it's a technical skill, so the option that makes the most sense is college, I don't want to go back to university for a four year program.

If I explain all of this in my SOP what do you guys think my chances are of getting accepted?

Also, if any of you have any tips or previous experience from a similar situation please let me know!

Thank you all in advance!! <3

hajar123

Aug 5, 2019
Brazil
Hey, I’m Brazilian and going through a similar case.
I have got a bachelor’s and a masters in advertising, but still I applied for a diploma in creative advertising @ Seneca.

Even though I haven’t got my answer on the visa yet, I have not heard of such cases where they issue a refusal due to the kind of certificate you’ll get, as long as it’s consistent with your previous experience.

Plus refusal rates for Mexicans, as well as Brazilians, are slim. So, if you’ve got everything else sorted out properly, you should be fine.

cheers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey, I’m Brazilian and going through a similar case.
I have got a bachelor’s and a masters in advertising, but still I applied for a diploma in creative advertising @ Seneca.

Even though I haven’t got my answer on the visa yet, I have not heard of such cases where they issue a refusal due to the kind of certificate you’ll get, as long as it’s consistent with your previous experience.

Plus refusal rates for Mexicans, as well as Brazilians, are slim. So, if you’ve got everything else sorted out properly, you should be fine.

cheers
Disagree. People are routinely refused because their chosen program will not lead to career advancement and the progression of education doesn’t make sense.

hajar123

Aug 5, 2019
Brazil
Disagree. People are routinely refused because their chosen program will not lead to career advancement and the progression of education doesn’t make sense.
I wasn’t aware that the kind of certificate you’re getting can impact negatively on your application, as long as everything else is fine.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wasn’t aware that the kind of certificate you’re getting can impact negatively on your application, as long as everything else is fine.
It can certainly cause a refusal if the level or type of education you plan to take in Canada makes no sense in light of your previous education / work experience. For example, if you have a Masters or Bachelor degree, taking a diploma in Canada makes no sense and can result in a refusal. You should be taking at least a post graduate diploma.

Reactions: dreamy2536

hajar123

Aug 5, 2019
Brazil
It can certainly cause a refusal if the level or type of education you plan to take in Canada makes no sense in light of your previous education / work experience. For example, if you have a Masters or Bachelor degree, taking a diploma in Canada makes no sense and can result in a refusal. You should be taking at least a post graduate diploma.
I see, thanks for the clarification. That kinda worries me, because I have a bachelor’s degree and applied for a college diploma. The thing is that studying in Canada should be a unique experience. Many bachelor students from developing countries can only tap into some of their full potential, due to lack of social structures and opportunities. So, from where I stand, any academic experience in Canada should be considered valid, because it can provide us the tools to achieve the goals we weren’t able to reach in our home countries. I did make my intentions quite clear on my SOP, so I’m hoping they’ll understand.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see, thanks for the clarification. That kinda worries me, because I have a bachelor’s degree and applied for a college diploma. The thing is that studying in Canada should be a unique experience. Many bachelor students from developing countries can only tap into some of their full potential, due to lack of social structures and opportunities. So, from where I stand, any academic experience in Canada should be considered valid, because it can provide us the tools to achieve the goals we weren’t able to reach in our home countries. I did make my intentions quite clear on my SOP, so I’m hoping they’ll understand.
It's possible IRCC will be OK with it if you've explained in the SOP - also possible they won't be. The education you plan to take in Canada should show a progression based on your previous education. A diploma is of course a lower level of education than a Bachelor. So from IRCC's perspective this doesn't make sense and can cause them to be concerned you aren't a genuine student but have other motives for coming to Canada. Anyway - not much you can do now but wait and hope for the best. If you're approved - great. If not and you want to apply again, definitely change your study plans and enrol in a post graduate program or another Bachelor or a Master's. Good luck.

hajar123

Aug 5, 2019
Brazil
It's possible IRCC will be OK with it if you've explained in the SOP - also possible they won't be. The education you plan to take in Canada should show a progression based on your previous education. A diploma is of course a lower level of education than a Bachelor. So from IRCC's perspective this doesn't make sense and can cause them to be concerned you aren't a genuine student but have other motives for coming to Canada. Anyway - not much you can do now but wait and hope for the best. If you're approved - great. If not and you want to apply again, definitely change your study plans and enrol in a post graduate program or another Bachelor or a Master's. Good luck.
Thanks for the response and for the wishes!

palitopalito

Oct 1, 2019
Yeah I heard that can happen! But in every other case I've seen the diploma and bachelor's are completely unrelated OR exactly the same, which is why I'm wondering if it'll work out in my case. Most post graduate programs are very theory based and photography is the complete oposite, which is why a college diploma is basically the only option for me and it's heavily related to my bachelor's so I'll try to explain it as best as I can on my SOP and hope for the best.