+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it somehow possible to enter Canada using digital copy of PR card?

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
I know its a silly question but it is coming out of a desperation to find an alternative. I had lost my pr card as soon as I landed in Delhi, and my PRTD is being processed since Dec 28th. I have one more week left to travel back.

I don't understand if all the information is clearly visible on a digital copy why cant they allow to travel ? Any idea?

Also, they got my passport so I cant travel even if they did :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Same reason why you could not travel with a digital copy of your passport I guess. Ultimately it is the airline you need to convince to allow you to checkin and board without a PR card or PRTD, and the airline who could be penalised for doing so.

Plus as you say if you dont have your passport currently you cannot travel anyways.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I know its a silly question but it is coming out of a desperation to find an alternative. I had lost my pr card as soon as I landed in Delhi, and my PRTD is being processed since Dec 28th. I have one more week left to travel back.

I don't understand if all the information is clearly visible on a digital copy why cant they allow to travel ? Any idea?

Do you realize how easy it is to fake a digital copy of something?

Original PR card only, or a PR TD, is mandatory for any airline to issue your ticket.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

As others have said, too easy to fake. You need the actual PR card or a physical PRTD.

Otherwise your options are to fly to the US (provided you have a US visa) and then re-enter Canada via a land border using a private vehicle - or delay your return until you can obtain a PRTD.

R

rish888

What's the point of this post if you don't have your passport? When you get it back it will have a PRTD in it anyways, and given that India has exit immigration checks you're not leaving the country without a passport anyway.

On the point of digital vs physical it would be amazing if Canada expanded the eTA system to PR's too. (Subject to a secondary exam at the POE for RO compliance.) Or at the very least issue the PR card in both physical form (for inside Canada use to prove PR status) as well as electronic/eTA form. (for travel purposes.) Sometimes it seems like Foreign National's have an easier time than PR's.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It makes sense to force the PR to be assessed for the RO outside Canada, in the country covering their current location. This removes the load on the CBSA at the POE. There, time is tight and resources are limited. Not providing an eTA to PRs abroad is a great first step in making this happen.

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Had to cancel my ticket for my flight departing this Saturday evening from Delhi. Thanks to the ahole whole stole my wallet and high commission who can't process a simple document in 2 weeks.

Now I am thinking to book another flight for Jan 20th, should I get PRTD before it? They are processing since Dec 28th. And, I had only recently became PR in Feb 2017, so no problems with regards to RO. Dont know what's taking them so long. I had submitted tons of docs to support the case.

R

rish888

Had to cancel my ticket for my flight departing this Saturday evening from Delhi. Thanks to the ahole whole stole my wallet and high commission who can't process a simple document in 2 weeks.

Now I am thinking to book another flight for Jan 20th, should I get PRTD before it? They are processing since Dec 28th. And, I had only recently became PR in Feb 2017, so no problems with regards to RO. Dont know what's taking them so long. I had submitted tons of docs to support the case.
No one can tell. Hopefully it should come through.

Unfortunately unlike the EU, Canada doesn't place any timeframe within which applications must be processed, so the High Commission can take as long as they want. It's not fair and it's not convenient, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Jakev

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Today its been 3 weeks since they are processing my PRTD. I just don't understand what the hell is taking so long given the fact that I had only been a PR for less than a year. This is just so so annoying. I don't even know if they are waiting for anything from my side. Looks like they just dont give a damn if you have a full time job there and their laziness could screw up someone's career or could drain them financially. Arghhhh!

R

rish888

Do you have a US visa? If you do, ask for your passport back, and fly to the US and drive to Canada. You can enter via the land border with your landing papers.

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
VFS Delhi said PRTD takes max 25 days for processing, counting from Dec 28 their time is up by Jan 21. So if they dont send by Monday, can I sue them or something?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
VFS Delhi said PRTD takes max 25 days for processing, counting from Dec 28 their time is up by Jan 21. So if they dont send by Monday, can I sue them or something?
Lol no. Times are just approximate, not guarantees. They can take as long as they want for any reason they want, and you can't do anything. You can file a complaint at most but it won't result in anything.

enthuuu

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Still nothing. Its been almost 4 weeks now. Looks like I will miss my flight second time this Sunday. Never thought this high commission at delhi is so inefficient. They can't live upto their own timeframe of max 25 days of processing time. Most disappointing thing here is the complete lack of communication and transparency. If they are expecting more money "under the table" they should just let me know.

What a bunch of irresponsible thugs!

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think at this point the only option is for you to wait.
Once you get your passport back with PRTD, only then schedule your flight plans.
Out of curiosity, how did you loose your PR card as soon as coming to Delhi?

Last edited: