+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it really worth moving to Canada???????????????

V

vbond007

KimJim exactly said what I tried to say earlier. Also jes_ON posted the real fact. But people like chandan are here who won't at all read it properly thinking that it will make his brain negative. It's like a cat who closes it's eyes while drinking milk, and thinks that no one is looking at it. Or some people as KimJim very rightly said, believe that he is a superman, spiderman or great hero and will definitely do wonders in Canada! I don't say one should not move to Canada, but be prepared to receive unpleasant facts!

chandan

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
People like vbond007 are the ones that will never see anything positive in wherever they live in, have you ever heard him said anything positive to anybody? I'm sure Scorpiof3 posted something positive, have you heard him mentioned it? All he is about is spreading negative rumours. So why would i listen to negative people like you? Millions of you can never convince me to change my mind about canada. Where people like you fail, for me never, infact, for your information, i am rather more determined to make my dreams come true..........So because some people like you have failed you believe everybody would failed? How parochial thinking you are! Even though millions of peolpe have been to canada and failed, thousands of immigrants are still there and are successful. Even if i would be driving cab in canada, i still won't fail. For me like i told, canada is my heaven on earth. For some people, it is opposite. The more negatives i hear about canada, the more determined am eager to go there.

joogle

Star Member
Apr 30, 2009
Let me sum things up if I may:

For those who have had bad experience in reaching their dreams or those who are afraid they may face the same fate once they land, here is a piece of wisdom: Not being able to reach your goal is NOT a Canadian-made fate. If you were to go on another forums on immigrants lives in US, Australia, UK, Germany, Norway, etc, etc. people will have horror stories to tell. It's a combo of talent, luck, hard work and dedication that brings success.

For those who are negative right of the bat, there is a saying, "Where ever you go, there you are".

The morale of the story is that moving to a different country is a combo of challenges, excitements, setbacks, achievements, good luck, bad luck and a satisfaction that you at least tried.

****I believe failing is better than not trying.****

V

vbond007

Dear chandan, I have never told you to change your mind. And tell me how I will be benefited, if you cahnge your mind? Actually you should not change your mind on my parent's or spouse's or even children's advice. Why can't you understand positive meaning of what me and others are saying. We only tell you that what you are considering Heaven, may be Hell (again, it has different probability case to case) so if you are mentally prepared for that it's good for you (or even for me!) As a cab driver (for 10 years) you feel heavenly, it's your choice! There are many people in Pakistan & Afghanistan who believe terrorism as their GOD! They are so strong in their beliefs that they even die for it. Will you (or anyone else) will define them as right only because of their strong beliefs in something?

Also in every such situation you have to think by probabilities. If it is said that fast driving leads to accident (This is true with 90% probability) But if I have never met with an accident tough I am the fastest driver, doesn't prove the fact to be false. Similarly smoking leads to Cancer. I have seen many chain smoker who are healthy even at the age of 70. Does this mean that the medical researches are wrong and should I start smoking enthusiastically (as u r about Canadian Rosy picture)?

Still my last advice to you is not to take advices like we people who have real experience of Canada as PR for years together. But our only request to you that even after reaching to Canada, keep on posting your real and true experiences and feelings. All the best!

awaranag

Sep 14, 2009
Thanks to all of u for ur valuable inputs.
I suppose I was right when I started this thread.Decisions like these are not impulsive.It is not that I am not prepared to take'THE RISK'.But is it worth taking'THE RISK'?? Had it been that I had got this chance of migrating 12-15yrs back,Iwould had been on cloud nine...but the sitution is not same as of now.
World as of now is business without boundaries.ONE WORLD in lay man language
I am sure ,I am not going to take any emotional decision...which in the near future will impact my family life..period
Best of Luck to people who are Canada bound....I will still say its a beautiful country but only for people who are too willing to slog.

kimjim

Oct 30, 2009
I read a post regarding a janitor...
I thought that i will do those kind of jobs for SOME TIME before i am able to move on to my field , but i was unable to find any jobs in my field ( as a engineer ) , just could not find it ...they are very polite in the interviews , but no jobs , i kept on doing odd jobs for 2 years....but could not take it any longer , before moving here i was a lead engineer with a heavy engg. co. , but here i realised that i would have to again go to college to really be equated to the canadian fellows... and i am not ready at my age (45) to spend a few more years in college then start from the scratch
finding jobs of janitors, plumbers ....is not that difficult , but the question is how long will you keep on doing those jobs , if you can do them for whole life , then it is fine, canada is the country for you

getting the immigrant visa is just the starting , it is just 1% of the struggle and rest 99% struggle you have to come here and do it.

again for a fellow, who was not doing anything back home will be happy working even as a janitor,on walmart.... , but someone who was doing well before moving here will get frustated after a few months/years of odd jobs
The biggest mistake people make is that they think that they will be able to move on to better jobs after a short while in odd jobs , but that is not easy , a small % are successful also

So my advice is , make sure you have a job lined up before you moveif you are settled in your country.
If you are on the road presently , then , come here you wont regret it.

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
안녕하세요! Mr.Kim

Sorry to hear your story. You did know that your qualifications would need to be upgraded in order to qualify for an engineering position before you immigrated.

I also know a Korean in your position and works as a diswaher. His wife used his savings to open a restaurant, divorced him and took most of his savings. He is upgrading his skills at the moment and I wish him the best.

You have spent a short period of your life in Canada, and I would say that you didn't give it enough time. Why would you want your children to go back to Korean schools? They have no life and will be very difficult for them to re-adjust to Korean schools.

I know how things work in Korean, you are returning to the place where you have connections, and we all know how important connections are in Korea. In Canada, connections are also important, and it takes time to make them. I live and work in Korea and I can tell you that living and raising a family here is very difficult, however I make enough money.

I'm sure that you can move up to other jobs and also you could take some courses but that is really your choice.

행운을 빕니다!

V

vbond007

Sitting on the shore (Korea) and advising how to take the boat away from the storm (Canada) is simple. The person who is facing the problem, knows it. Other person's wife (other country) always seems beautiful, though she actually may not. There are many people here in Canada who have 'upgraded' (!) their engineering degrees and became P.Eng. (Professional Engineer) of Canada and they are empowered to even certify True Copies of documents. Though they are jobless. KimJim is very right. In the hope to have a (own) field's job, people are doing labour job's for 25 years and then they realize that it is not possible. He rightly said if u have no income in your home country, u can settle in Canada. Even in labour jobs, you can drink juice, cock with every meal, (at least a used) car, sometimes dry fruit, once in a month a pizza, Once in 6 months a movie in theater, a foreign trip (may be home country) once in 5 years. But if you are doing very well in your own country (I suppose CAD 1000/- per month through white color job) chances for u to settle in Canada is very less, as after few years u will be desperate to come out of the vicious circle of blue color job. Though KimJim can stay for 2 more years (be a citizen - even after interview it takes 1 yr to have the citizenship card, so 3 + 1 = 4 yrs) and then go back to Korea so that anytime he or his children can come back to Canada. And if within 2 years, if luck favours, he can have a good job too. He very rightly said, getting Visa is only 1% struggle.

V

vbond007

Dear awaranag, I 100% agree with your decision of not moving to Canada. But I think, financially you are able to afford, so at least for a month go to Canada with whole family, get PR cards and come back. We never know they may be useful in future. As you have invested so much time, money & energy in getting the Visa, it will be proved to be worth. Anyway this is my thinking.

ride_thelight

Nov 1, 2009
New York, NY
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
I am from India, been in the US 12 years. I am an accountant, went to college here, got my CPA license in NY. I work in accounting in NYC. I am on the H1-B, was on the F-1 before. My Perm (employer sponsored green card) is in early stage and I understand getting US permanent residency could take 5 additional years with current processing times.

Anyhow, I am looking into a move to British Columbia. I went to the area for a visit recently to see it first-hand, explore prospects of employment and getting my CA license there. I realize any such move would set me back a few years in terms of experience I have in US and I would take a step-down in pay, plus retraining required in Canadian tax and accounting.

While a move would be a significant upheaval, I feel it would be better for long-term prospects for better standards of living, raising a family and a better quality of life than what I have experienced in US.
After being in the US for over a decade, I feel this country has little to offer to me. Here in NYC, the stress of work, no work-life balance, scenario of having no health insurance without employment and limited social safety nets have made me rethink whether the US is the place to be for long-term.

I do not want to romanticize Canadian life into being any kind of utopia, but it sure looks like it beats the US on the list of best places to live, year after year.
I work hard and would also like to be in a system that gives back something to me. The US has failed me on this.

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I hope to do significant research before deciding on a move.
I welcome any criticisms and comments.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
awaranag said:
I am getting more and more confused....but thanks God I have options to choose from.
Thats the thing Awaranag, you have what in decision science is called non-dominated options. In other words, if you take all the important criteria (in general), Canada wins in some and your current place wins in others. Taking up one option means there is a trade-off and one has to give up something in another criteria. Some people don't have options. For example, if you are living in some war torn region, working as a janitor in Canada would be bliss compared to working as a doctor in a war torn area where one might have to duck bombs every day. Having an option is great. Because you are thinking about your options, the chances are you won't regret your final decision. Good luck.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rupeshhari said:
awaranag said:
I am getting more and more confused....but thanks God I have options to choose from.
Thats the thing Awaranag, you have what in decision science is called non-dominated options. In other words, if you take all the important criteria (in general), Canada wins in some and your current place wins in others. Taking up one option means there is a trade-off and one has to give up something in another criteria. Some people don't have options. For example, if you are living in some war torn region, working as a janitor in Canada would be bliss compared to working as a doctor in a war torn area where one might have to duck bombs every day. Having an option is great. Because you are thinking about your options, the chances are you won't regret your final decision. Good luck.
Some words of wisdom from a wise man- It's all about trade-off/weighing your options, finding the right deal and then nailing it.

deegirl

Aug 29, 2008
not many jobs here now,,,so if you dont have money to keep you on your feet for a yr then you will be screwed...prices and taxes are going up up up,,,,taxes another bad word,,,,expect to pay at least 40% of what you make back to taxes,,,you pay when you earn and when you spend it,,,,great ole land of oh tax here in canada

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deegirl said:
not many jobs here now,,,so if you dont have money to keep you on your feet for a yr then you will be screwed...prices and taxes are going up up up,,,,taxes another bad word,,,,expect to pay at least 40% of what you make back to taxes,,,you pay when you earn and when you spend it,,,,great ole land of oh tax here in canada
That is one thing that is 100% sure.Come to the UK or try Germany and see the difference (Taxes are alot higher ).
Even to get buried you will have to pay Tax. - LOL