+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to get admitted to a PGWP course with ESL?

shokijames

Nov 24, 2021
Greetings, everyone!

I am reaching out on behalf of a friend currently in Canada on a Spousal Open Work Permit set to expire soon. I understand that enrolling in a PGWP-eligible program from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) will make my friend eligible for another open work permit after completing the course. Since most programs have a minimum English proficiency requirement, he recently took the IELTS and achieved a CLB 5.

I am also aware that certain academic institutions allow admission to their programs if you undertake their ESL course. However, I have some uncertainties that I would appreciate assistance with:

1. Can my friend be admitted to an ESL program with a CLB 5?
  2. How straightforward is it to convert an open work permit to a study permit?
  3. Will my friend's spouse receive an open work permit during the course?

Your guidance on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Greetings, everyone!

I am reaching out on behalf of a friend currently in Canada on a Spousal Open Work Permit set to expire soon. I understand that enrolling in a PGWP-eligible program from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) will make my friend eligible for another open work permit after completing the course. Since most programs have a minimum English proficiency requirement, he recently took the IELTS and achieved a CLB 5.

I am also aware that certain academic institutions allow admission to their programs if you undertake their ESL course. However, I have some uncertainties that I would appreciate assistance with:

1. Can my friend be admitted to an ESL program with a CLB 5?
  2. How straightforward is it to convert an open work permit to a study permit?
  3. Will my friend's spouse receive an open work permit during the course?

Your guidance on these matters would be greatly appreciated.
1. Depends on school and its admission requirements.
2. You don’t convert. You apply for a program paying tuition, showing funds, and documenting career and education advancement to justify costs. Show career and pay in home country.
3. What is spouse’s status in Canada? If the spouse is the main applicant and friend got an open work permit based on spouse’s study permit then no friend is not eligible. IRCC stopped spouse’s flip flopping between different visas to keep a work permit.

shokijames

Nov 24, 2021
Hello @Natugrl,

Thanks for your prompt response.
1. Does it mean that there are programs out their that don't require IELTS at all to get admitted to ESL?
2. He is Canada for past 2 years and working at a place which does not align with his career goals. Can he show his old job for the study permit application?
3. Allow me to explain: Right now my friend(Lets call him A) is on Spousal open work permit, that was received when his spouse (let us call her B) was, and still is, on her PGWP. So now, A will be going from open work permit to study permit and B, who is already on open work permit, will apply for Spousal open work permit on the basis of A's study.
Will this be considered as flip flopping too?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello @Natugrl,

Thanks for your prompt response.
1. Does it mean that there are programs out their that don't require IELTS at all to get admitted to ESL?
2. He is Canada for past 2 years and working at a place which does not align with his career goals. Can he show his old job for the study permit application?
3. Allow me to explain: Right now my friend(Lets call him A) is on Spousal open work permit, that was received when his spouse (let us call her B) was, and still is, on her PGWP. So now, A will be going from open work permit to study permit and B, who is already on open work permit, will apply for Spousal open work permit on the basis of A's study.
Will this be considered as flip flopping too?
1. Don’t know. Have to research.
2. What is purpose of showing past job? How does it fit with program and advancement? He is not going back to the job and has no ties to it.
3. Yes, it is. Spouse B is considered the Principal Foreign National (PFN). This refers to the person/foreign national who first applied for temporary status in Canada – in this case, the student.

This loophole previously allowed spouses and common-law partners to “flip-flop” between who was the principal status holder (the student or the worker in a NOC 0, A, or B job), and then become the spousal open work permit holder themselves as their own spouse either went to school or began working in an eligible job. This was done in order to continue remaining in Canada as a temporary resident and gaining eligible work experience for a PR application, and will no longer be possible.

So Spouse B is not eligible for SOWP. Spouse B can remain in Canada as a visitor or find an employer willing to go through and be eligible for a LMIA.