+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is British Council a money making racket?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
As you all know, I got my desired score on the 5th attempt and paid a test fee of £160 each attempt. I kept missing out on some band or another. I am now getting ready to receive the ITA in the next draw and was gathering my documents and looked at all my 5 test report forms.

I am an Indian living in the UK for the last 7 years and English is my first language even though India is not a native English speaking country. In the UK, IELTS is only conducted by BC and no other organisation.

While registering for IELTS, there is a question where you have to mention which country you plan to immigrate to, your occupation and your first language.

Canada considers 8 in listening and 7 in the reading, writing and speaking to award maximum points. Australia considers 8 and above in all sections to award maximum points for my occupation. UK considers 7 and above to award the maximum points for my occupation.

In the first 4 attempts, I selected my occupation as working in hospitality, English as my first language with 9 years+ experience of English and alternated between Canada and Australia as the country I plan to immigrate to.

In the 5th and final attempt, I selected my first language as Hindi and that I selected 3 years experience in English and I was using the IELTS for immigration in the UK. To be honest, I didn't expect to make it in the final attempt as ran out of time in the writing section and still managed a 7 when I didnt even meet the word count for the 2nd task and did not write the conclusion.

I was wondering if BC deliberately awards lesser marks depending on your desired country of immigration and first language in an attempt to lure candidates into spending money to take tests again.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Is BC a money making racket?

At first, I thought you were talking about the province of British Columbia (BC).

But now, it looks like BC stands for British Council instead!

Hassan1988

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
Even i did very well in my writing but could not score 7 this time as i needed clb 9 , and i gave my ielts academic in 12' in which i got 7 when i was not very well prepared :-X

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xpressentry said:
As you all know, I got my desired score on the 5th attempt and paid a test fee of £160 each attempt. I kept missing out on some band or another. I am now getting ready to receive the ITA in the next draw and was gathering my documents and looked at all my 5 test report forms.

I am an Indian living in the UK for the last 7 years and English is my first language even though India is not a native English speaking country. In the UK, IELTS is only conducted by BC and no other organisation.

While registering for IELTS, there is a question where you have to mention which country you plan to immigrate to, your occupation and your first language.

Canada considers 8 in listening and 7 in the reading, writing and speaking to award maximum points. Australia considers 8 and above in all sections to award maximum points for my occupation. UK considers 7 and above to award the maximum points for my occupation.

In the first 4 attempts, I selected my occupation as working in hospitality, English as my first language with 9 years+ experience of English and alternated between Canada and Australia as the country I plan to immigrate to.

In the 5th and final attempt, I selected my first language as Hindi and that I selected 3 years experience in English and I was using the IELTS for immigration in the UK. To be honest, I didn't expect to make it in the final attempt as ran out of time in the writing section and still managed a 7 when I didnt even meet the word count for the 2nd task and did not write the conclusion.

I was wondering if BC deliberately awards lesser marks depending on your desired country of immigration and first language in an attempt to lure candidates into spending money to take tests again.
EVERYTHING is a money making racquet...

i mean the greatest money making scheme is validity... test valid for 2 yrs only... i mean cmon... i dont think i forgot english since i time i wrote it a few years back...

if its writing or speaking you are falling short of, you can always apply to appeal the result... usually if you are falling short by 0.5, then you can gain that in an appeal.... thats what i did for my brother

Anishcool

Apr 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Consider yourself lucky and forget about it. IELTS money making racket exist until there is a revolution of change in a country's Immigration laws and criteria's. Sigh

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
My major issue with British Council is that once acquired, English is a life skill and not something you become worse at over time. Which is why I find the two year limit on results absolutely ridiculous and just a way to make money. I understand they can't give a life long score as social and language dynamics change over time, but two years is too little time for any real difference. Someone who wants to INCREASE their score would take the test anyway, but it impacts those of us negatively who are okay with our scores. If nothing else, they should at least keep the expiry as five years in line with ECA so that once a person has done both IELTS and ECA, they can at least spend next 5 years in peace attempting for the actual immigration, instead of running around doing preliminary tasks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ParulB said:
My major issue with British Council is that once acquired, English is a life skill and not something you become worse at over time. Which is why I find the two year limit on results absolutely ridiculous and just a way to make money. I understand they can't give a life long score as social and language dynamics change over time, but two years is too little time for any real difference. Someone who wants to INCREASE their score would take the test anyway, but it impacts those of us negatively who are okay with our scores. If nothing else, they should at least keep the expiry as five years in line with ECA so that once a person has done both IELTS and ECA, they can at least spend next 5 years in peace attempting for the actual immigration, instead of running around doing preliminary tasks.
1. No, English is like any other skill, if you don't use it, you lose it.

Reactions: Rk82

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
I don't know why they ask for your first language in your application. It has nothing to do with my application, exam or result. But I guess it does affect your score somehow.

I have given TOEFL before and they do not ask for such information.

dimdamfly

Mar 5, 2017
xpressentry said:

Well, I too was wondering the same thing and I think that for all agencies running and administering the tests it is a revenue stream. The proof I found is below
First about IDP

IDP Education FY16 Result

IDP Education Limited (ASX: IEL) today announced its financial results for the 2016 financial year (FY16).

For the twelve months to 30 June 2016, the Company reported total revenue of $361.6 million, an increase of 17% compared to FY15. Net profit after tax (NPAT) was $39.9 million which represents growth of 32% compared to the FY15 pro-forma.

Andrew Barkla, IDP Education Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, said the results reflected a continuation of the Company’s strong underlying organic growth profile across each of its product categories: Student Placement, English Language Testing and English Language Teaching.

According to Mr Barkla, IDP Education’s operational and financial highlights during FY16 included:

- Record full year revenue and earnings with double-digit revenue growth in each of the Company’s core product categories

- Very strong performance from Student Placement with the highlight being a 100% increase in revenue from the placement of students to UK, USA, Canada and New Zealand (IDP Education’s ‘multi-destination’ countries)

- Revenue from IDP Education’s Australian Student Placement business up 17% driven by solid growth in both volumes and average fees

- English Language Testing performing strongly with revenue from IDP Education’s global IELTS operations up 11% on FY15

- Strong cash generation which resulted in a balance sheet with $35.4m of net cash as at 30 June 2016

Importantly, the results exceeded the forecasts provided in IDP Education’s IPO prospectus dated 12 November 2015, with EBIT 6.0% ahead of forecast and NPAT 12% above.

The strong performance reflected the combined effect of volume and price growth in each of the company’s business lines.

In Student Placement, volume growth of 18% combined with an average realised fee increase of 13% to deliver 33% revenue growth for the year. Within this category, the Company’s ‘multi-destination’ strategy delivered strong results with placement volumes to the UK, USA, Canada and New Zealand up 72% relative to FY15.
Mr Barkla commented that the “growth and diversification benefits of the multi-destination strategy is clearly evident in the result with our China and India businesses in particular delivering strong results”.

In English Language Testing, IDP Education’s IELTS volumes were up 4% for the year which, combined with a 7% increase in average realised fee, drove the 11% revenue growth for the year. The result reflected the benefits of a broadly diversified global portfolio of testing locations and recognising organisations. IDP Education’s IELTS operations in Asia experienced strong growth during the year with India in particular benefiting from surging demand for study and migration in key English speaking countries.

IDP Education’s English Language Teaching business posted revenue growth of 26%. This was again driven by volume and price growth with a 14% increase in student volumes combining with a 10% increase in average course fees. The Company’s Cambodian schools were stand-out performers and continue to be market leaders in that country.

IDP Education’s Board of Directors has declared a final dividend of 5.5 cents per share which is expected to be 35% franked. The franking level reflects the nature of IDP Education’s global business with approximately 80% of revenues generated outside of Australia. The record date for the dividend will be 8 September 2016 with payment to be made on 30 September 2016.

Looking forward, Mr Barkla noted that the company’s focus is now on further improving our customer experience. “We have a strong financial and operational foundation, trusted brand and knowledgeable staff. Each element of our strategy going forward will be designed to enhance the customer experience through both online and offline channels.”

“Our vision is to build a global platform and connected community to guide international students along their journey to achieve their lifelong learning and career aspirations” Mr Barkla said.

“As part of this strategy we will be investing in our digital capability to improve the integration of our face-to-face services with our online channels so that we are even more connected and responsive to the individual needs of our customers.”

If everyone on the earth quit trying to immigrate or study abroad their economies would be ruined for sure. So its an organised racket involving Britain, Australia & Canada to screen out the populations specially the middle classes from South America/ Africa/ Asia (Chinese/Russians/ Indies/Pakis) Or why would there be different types of immigration categories? Would they be needed? No. If everyone was happy with their country of origin and stayed there would be no need for IELTS/ TOEFL/ GRE etc. Probably the middle classes of the entire world are indirectly contributing to the social security that the citizens enjoy and their dole payments through all these tests...difficult to say

If you have the crores -Language No bar (Low IELTS score)
If you have nothing but a trade- Language no bar- come and work as a tradesperson (Low IELTS score)
But if you have the Skill but not the Money- You blxxxy well know the best English there is - first to get into the country on basis of just on your qualifications -next pass our Exams so that you can get a Job or do whatever best you can do.

But are we all not aware of all this and still decide voluntarily to TREAD... because.... We want a better life for ourselves... so we are asking to be RIPPED OFF and they are making the best of the situation. White Supremacy still ruling the game behind the scenes.... ;) 8) and if you are not willing..no problem..there are millions of others who have the means and are willing to....So stop OVERTHINKING and just give the test and hope for the best.

The same applies to this Forum too...its on their lawyers server not some free space..so whatever you voice here does get recorded...whether for good or for bad!!

BELOW PARA is from the British Council website itself

Tuesday 28 May 2013

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) reinforces its position as the world’s most popular English proficiency test for higher education and global migration, with a record of two million tests taken around the world in the last 12 months.

The two million test figure represents 11% growth in the number of tests taken in the last 12 months and marks the eighteenth year of consecutive growth in IELTS test numbers.

The growth in test numbers also reflects the strong growth in the number of organizations turning to IELTS to meet their needs for language proficiency assessment. IELTS is now accepted by more than 8,000 educational institutions, employers, professional associations and governments in 135 countries around the world – including over 3,000 institutions and programs in the USA.

Making the announcement from the IELTS booth at the NAFSA conference in St. Louis, Missouri, Zach Johnson, CEO at IELTS USA said “Of the two million tests, the numbers of people taking IELTS to go to the US continues to grow and all of the Top 25 US universities accepting foreign students accept IELTS as proof of English proficiency.”

Globally, the demand for IELTS in countries such as China, India, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Turkey has remained high, with students taking the test for entry to educational institutions in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and USA, among many other destinations.

John Gildea, Head of IELTS at the British Council says “The phenomenal growth we’ve seen around the world is testament to the popularity of the test with test takers – and the organisations that trust IELTS scores as an accurate indicator of a person’s ability to communicate in English”

John Belleville, Head of IELTS at IDP IELTS adds “IELTS is maintaining its position as the most secure high-stakes English proficiency test available, and is available to people in more than 900 locations around the world.”

IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.

The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide. We are a Royal Charter charity, established as the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations.

We work in more than 100 countries, and our 7000 staff – including 2000 teachers – work with thousands of professionals and policy makers and millions of young people every year through English, arts, education and society programmes.

We earn over 75% of our annual turnover of £739 million from services which customers pay for, education and development contracts we bid for and from partnerships. A UK Government grant provides the remaining 25%. We match every £1 of core public funding with over £3 earned in pursuit of our charitable purpose.

For more information, please visit: You can also keep in touch with the British Council through

syconetgeek

Mar 30, 2015
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
NO
AOR Received.
03-10-2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2019
thestunner316 said:

i mean the greatest money making scheme is validity... test valid for 2 yrs only... i mean cmon... i dont think i forgot english since i time i wrote it a few years back...

if its writing or speaking you are falling short of, you can always apply to appeal the result... usually if you are falling short by 0.5, then you can gain that in an appeal.... thats what i did for my brother
I was short by 0.5 in Speaking to get good score. I appealed and did not got any result. IELTS score still remains same.

dimdamfly

Mar 5, 2017
while registering don't enter english as your first language, when its not. We speak Hindi all the time. If I have to repeat it I will write Punjabi as my mother tongue... not english

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1. No, English is like any other skill, if you don't use it, you lose it.
To what extent?

I would be surprised if anyone has a job in Canada and does not use English on a daily basis, be it emails, speaking or on the phone.

Who needs to write an essay to prove that you have the required skills to "survive" in Canada.

I work for what is considered one of the "big 4" and somehow my writing skills are only a 6.5 because I get a ridiculous topic that I have no thoughts or cares on and apparently cannot construct a well written essay.

In conclusion, (sniggers) - I don't believe you loose English as a skill if you are immigrating to an English speaking country.

Reactions: puneet5

dimdamfly

Mar 5, 2017
robb83 said:
To what extent?

I would be surprised if anyone has a job in Canada and does not use English on a daily basis, be it emails, speaking or on the phone.

Who needs to write an essay to prove that you have the required skills to "survive" in Canada.

I work for what is considered one of the "big 4" and somehow my writing skills are only a 6.5 because I get a ridiculous topic that I have no thoughts or cares on and apparently cannot construct a well written essay.

In conclusion, (sniggers) - I don't believe you loose English as a skill if you are immigrating to an English speaking country.

You only need those skills to prove your skills in English when immigration category is FSW. For other categories your
money talks adequate English ....provided you have enough of it

ShadowMoore

Sep 28, 2017
I've been here in Canada for almost 7 years, however I still have to take the English proficiency examination to practice my profession. I was a nurse way back in the Philippines. Took me years to build my career in here. But I ended up doing something that is not related to my profession. Now I'm a Crypto currency trader, I do selling, merchanting, and I'm an internet crawler/ backdoor developer. So should I take my English examination again just to prove that i can speak English fluently? I believe I don't need that anymore.

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018

I'm missing CLB level by 0.5 points in Listening, do you think I would be awarded this 0.5 by rescoring?