+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a gap of 2 years between Nikkah and Ruksatti a red flag with the IRCC? Is it worth lying unnecessarily on the application?

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
I had my Nikkah by the end of 2019 in Pakistan and then returned back to Canada within a week to rejoin my job. My wife being a Pakistani National did not have a Visit Visa at the time and i had planned to sponsor her to Canada. It took her a good 3 months to gather a lot of supporting documents and i was finally able to submit an outland spousal sponsorship application at the time.

In the Pakistani and Islamic culture, a couple becomes husband and wife after the Nikkah but till the time the Shaadi/Ruksatti event takes place, the girls family does not allow the girl to move in with the guy and his family. Unfortunately the girl's family in 90% of the cases only agrees to go ahead with the Shaadi/Ruksatti function once it is clear that the guy and his family is able to have the girl move in with them. My dad and I were working and living in Canada, my mother was also terminally unwell and was not in a position to travel anymore and we could not leave her alone. It was impossible for both of us to leave Canada for not more than 7-8 days and that also not without making alternative arrangements to make sure someone or a few trustworthy reliable people were able to look after my mom in our abscence.

Back then it was a Pre-Covid world and we were under the impression that it might take the immigration authorities atleast a year to process the application and issue her a visa and we planned on completing the Shaadi/Ruksatti functions and Valima functions around the end of 2020. However i had not heard from the IRCC regarding my outland spousal sponsorship application during this time period and i had not even received an AOR. On the other hand my mother's illness just got worse and in January 2021 the nuerologist treating her gave a very grim prognosis that she only had at best another 6 months of life expectancy.

My mother wanted her daughter in law to come over to Canada in order to spend whatever time she had left with her. We explained our situation to the MP and he advised us to try and apply for a TRV Visa for my wife on compassionate grounds given my mothers health and see what the response would be like in February 2021. So i applied for the TRV Visa on compassionate grounds for my wife attaching my mothers medical reports and in the Cover Letter and Application i strictly mentioned that my wife and I got married at the end of 2019 (which was the truth and was not a lie as our Nikkah had indeed taken place at the time) but i avoided mentioning anything about Nikkah, Ruksati, Valima e.t.c. To my pleasant surprise the TRV Visa got processed within a week and she was issued 4 year TRV

Since i work for a Big 4 accounting firm, February to June is the busiest season for us therefore it was impossible for me to be able to get any time off from work during that time period even for a few days as our workload was massive. My wife's family would obviously not allow her to travel with me without completing the Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima Functions. She had also never travelled before outside Canada before therefore it was imperative for me to come to Pakistan, complete the remaining wedding functions and then help her come with me to Canada. Also as luck would have it, Canada suspended direct flights from Canada to Pakistan in May and June.

In May 2021, i finally received a package in the mail from the IRCC i.e. the Outland Spousal Sponsorship Application i submitted in March 2020 was returned to me because i was missing one of the application forms and that one of the checklists i submitted was outdated and i was directed to attach the missing documents and then to reapply again. After some thinking and discussion, my relatives advised that since i was going to go to Pakistan to complete the remaining functions and then bring my wife over to Canada with me, why not wait for her to come to Canada and then reapply with an inland Spousal Sponsorship application as this way she would not have to leave Canada for her Biometric, Interview, Medical Exams e.t.c. and we would also be in a stronger position with the IRCC as they would see both the Husband and Wife living at the same address in Canada

Anyways i went to Pakistan and completed my Shaadi/Ruksatti in Aug 2021. My wife was finally living with me and she arrived with me in Canada recently. We have now finally gathered all the supporting documents and filled out all the application forms and are in a position to reapply. However me and my dad are having one serious disagreement. My dad is nervous that since we applied for the TRV Visa in February 2021 saying we were married, if we disclosed (on our In Land Spousal Sponsorship Application that we are about to submit) that the Nikkah took place at the end of 2019 and the Shaadi/Valima took place in August 2021, the IRCC might react strongly and negatively to this and ask questions like "Why did you state you were married at the end of 2019, if you only had a Nikkah back then and had not completed the Shaadi/Ruksatti at the time? Why did you not disclose anything about the Nikkah, Shaadi/Ruksatti/Valima when you applied for the TRV Visa in February 2021?".

He wants me to just mention on IMM5532 Relationship Information Evaluation form that we just had one marriage function in December 2019 and thats it without getting into details of when the Nikkah was held exactly, when the Shaadi/Ruksatti was held and when the Valima was held. He also wants me to submit photographs of the Nikkah, Shaadi, Valima functions and write that they all took place on Dec 2019.

I have a totally different view on this, my belief is that I should be as truthful as possible and correctly disclose on IMM5532 that my Nikkah took place in Dec 2019 and my Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima took place in August 2021. If the IRCC question why did you not mention anything about Nikkah, Shaadi/Ruksatti on your TRV application and why did you say you and your wife got married in Dec 2019 if you hadn't completed the Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima functions, then my response will be that in the Islamic culture a couple becomes Husband and Wife after the Nikkah is over even if they are not living together and even if the Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima functions have not taken place therefore i did not lie about anything, we did become Husband and Wife after our Nikkah in Dec 2019. I also intend to explain that the girls family will not permit the Shaadi/Ruksatti function to take place if the guy and his family are not in a position to immediately have the girl live with them and given the fact me, my dad were working in Canada and my mother was unwell, we were not in a position to move to Pakistan and we were not in a position to take my wife with us as she did not have a Visa at the time.

I am nervous about stating like my father is saying that the Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima took place in Dec 2019 as oppossed to August 2021 because if the IRCC suspects that something is off i.e. the physical appearance of the people who attended both the Nikkah and Shaadi/Ruksatti/Valima are totally different between the two events, how could they have held these events in December 2019, they could ask for additional photographs and this will create problems because 80% of the pictures have the people wearing masks in them given the Covid Pandemic prevailing.

Bottomline i want to stick to the truth and facts that my Nikkah took place in December 2019 and my Shaadi/Ruksatti took place in August 2021.

Sorry for the long story but i am seriously hoping to receive some good genuine feedback on what is the correct course of action here.

kanislupos

Star Member
Jan 22, 2017
Singapore
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
You should just provide all the information as you've provided them in your post above.
Lying is an offence and may render your spouse inadmissible.

Reactions: YVR123 and cjr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had my Nikkah by the end of 2019 in Pakistan and then returned back to Canada within a week to rejoin my job. My wife being a Pakistani National did not have a Visit Visa at the time and i had planned to sponsor her to Canada. It took her a good 3 months to gather a lot of supporting documents and i was finally able to submit an outland spousal sponsorship application at the time.

In the Pakistani and Islamic culture, a couple becomes husband and wife after the Nikkah but till the time the Shaadi/Ruksatti event takes place, the girls family does not allow the girl to move in with the guy and his family. Unfortunately the girl's family in 90% of the cases only agrees to go ahead with the Shaadi/Ruksatti function once it is clear that the guy and his family is able to have the girl move in with them. My dad and I were working and living in Canada, my mother was also terminally unwell and was not in a position to travel anymore and we could not leave her alone. It was impossible for both of us to leave Canada for not more than 7-8 days and that also not without making alternative arrangements to make sure someone or a few trustworthy reliable people were able to look after my mom in our abscence.

Back then it was a Pre-Covid world and we were under the impression that it might take the immigration authorities atleast a year to process the application and issue her a visa and we planned on completing the Shaadi/Ruksatti functions and Valima functions around the end of 2020. However i had not heard from the IRCC regarding my outland spousal sponsorship application during this time period and i had not even received an AOR. On the other hand my mother's illness just got worse and in January 2021 the nuerologist treating her gave a very grim prognosis that she only had at best another 6 months of life expectancy.

My mother wanted her daughter in law to come over to Canada in order to spend whatever time she had left with her. We explained our situation to the MP and he advised us to try and apply for a TRV Visa for my wife on compassionate grounds given my mothers health and see what the response would be like in February 2021. So i applied for the TRV Visa on compassionate grounds for my wife attaching my mothers medical reports and in the Cover Letter and Application i strictly mentioned that my wife and I got married at the end of 2019 (which was the truth and was not a lie as our Nikkah had indeed taken place at the time) but i avoided mentioning anything about Nikkah, Ruksati, Valima e.t.c. To my pleasant surprise the TRV Visa got processed within a week and she was issued 4 year TRV

Since i work for a Big 4 accounting firm, February to June is the busiest season for us therefore it was impossible for me to be able to get any time off from work during that time period even for a few days as our workload was massive. My wife's family would obviously not allow her to travel with me without completing the Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima Functions. She had also never travelled before outside Canada before therefore it was imperative for me to come to Pakistan, complete the remaining wedding functions and then help her come with me to Canada. Also as luck would have it, Canada suspended direct flights from Canada to Pakistan in May and June.

In May 2021, i finally received a package in the mail from the IRCC i.e. the Outland Spousal Sponsorship Application i submitted in March 2020 was returned to me because i was missing one of the application forms and that one of the checklists i submitted was outdated and i was directed to attach the missing documents and then to reapply again. After some thinking and discussion, my relatives advised that since i was going to go to Pakistan to complete the remaining functions and then bring my wife over to Canada with me, why not wait for her to come to Canada and then reapply with an inland Spousal Sponsorship application as this way she would not have to leave Canada for her Biometric, Interview, Medical Exams e.t.c. and we would also be in a stronger position with the IRCC as they would see both the Husband and Wife living at the same address in Canada

Anyways i went to Pakistan and completed my Shaadi/Ruksatti in Aug 2021. My wife was finally living with me and she arrived with me in Canada recently. We have now finally gathered all the supporting documents and filled out all the application forms and are in a position to reapply. However me and my dad are having one serious disagreement. My dad is nervous that since we applied for the TRV Visa in February 2021 saying we were married, if we disclosed (on our In Land Spousal Sponsorship Application that we are about to submit) that the Nikkah took place at the end of 2019 and the Shaadi/Valima took place in August 2021, the IRCC might react strongly and negatively to this and ask questions like "Why did you state you were married at the end of 2019, if you only had a Nikkah back then and had not completed the Shaadi/Ruksatti at the time? Why did you not disclose anything about the Nikkah, Shaadi/Ruksatti/Valima when you applied for the TRV Visa in February 2021?".

He wants me to just mention on IMM5532 Relationship Information Evaluation form that we just had one marriage function in December 2019 and thats it without getting into details of when the Nikkah was held exactly, when the Shaadi/Ruksatti was held and when the Valima was held. He also wants me to submit photographs of the Nikkah, Shaadi, Valima functions and write that they all took place on Dec 2019.

I have a totally different view on this, my belief is that I should be as truthful as possible and correctly disclose on IMM5532 that my Nikkah took place in Dec 2019 and my Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima took place in August 2021. If the IRCC question why did you not mention anything about Nikkah, Shaadi/Ruksatti on your TRV application and why did you say you and your wife got married in Dec 2019 if you hadn't completed the Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima functions, then my response will be that in the Islamic culture a couple becomes Husband and Wife after the Nikkah is over even if they are not living together and even if the Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima functions have not taken place therefore i did not lie about anything, we did become Husband and Wife after our Nikkah in Dec 2019. I also intend to explain that the girls family will not permit the Shaadi/Ruksatti function to take place if the guy and his family are not in a position to immediately have the girl live with them and given the fact me, my dad were working in Canada and my mother was unwell, we were not in a position to move to Pakistan and we were not in a position to take my wife with us as she did not have a Visa at the time.

I am nervous about stating like my father is saying that the Shaadi/Ruksatti and Valima took place in Dec 2019 as oppossed to August 2021 because if the IRCC suspects that something is off i.e. the physical appearance of the people who attended both the Nikkah and Shaadi/Ruksatti/Valima are totally different between the two events, how could they have held these events in December 2019, they could ask for additional photographs and this will create problems because 80% of the pictures have the people wearing masks in them given the Covid Pandemic prevailing.

Bottomline i want to stick to the truth and facts that my Nikkah took place in December 2019 and my Shaadi/Ruksatti took place in August 2021.

Sorry for the long story but i am seriously hoping to receive some good genuine feedback on what is the correct course of action here.
Lying is the worst idea. It was good that your application was returned because it would have been denied without the Ruksatti. The VO are very aware of most of the marriage practices around the world and there are many cases where applications have been denied without the Ruskstti. Canada does not consider the marriage complete unless the Ruskatti is complete because you can’t live together as husband and wife. If anything the VO may be bothered that you asked for PHAC to spend time with your dying mother in February and got your MP involved and then she didn’t come to Canada until August/September. It is actually surprising that the TRV with PHAC didn’t expire after a few months which is fairly typical. In general lying to IRCC is a very bad idea especially since you will be expected to have proof of all these ceremonies.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You are right. Your father is wrong. If you lie, you are risking a five year misrepresentation ban for your wife - meaning she would be banned from Canada for 5 years.

State the truth about the dates.

Reactions: YVR123