+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC written Authorization letter

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Hello everyone!
The first time I came to Canada with my family was in October 2020. I am on a closed WP, my wife has OWP, and my son (8yo) has SP. In November 2020, my wife and son left Canada because of family issues in our home country. So, now they are ready to come back to Canada, and I am confused if they need a written authorization letter? They have visas in passports as well as already issued permits, but my wife is unvaccinated. Here is the relevant article below...
Please advise!

Who doesn’t need a written authorization
Your immediate family member doesn’t need an authorization if they:

• are travelling directly from the U.S.
  • are exempt from the travel restrictions, for example they
    • are an international student who meets the requirements to travel or
    • have a letter of introduction for a spousal/common-law partner open work permit and plan to live with you for the most of the time your work permit is valid
      • These family members are exempt from the requirement to have a job offer.

thor1977

Oct 21, 2021
Hello everyone!
The first time I came to Canada with my family was in October 2020. I am on a closed WP, my wife has OWP, and my son (8yo) has SP. In November 2020, my wife and son left Canada because of family issues in our home country. So, now they are ready to come back to Canada, and I am confused if they need a written authorization letter? They have visas in passports as well as already issued permits, but my wife is unvaccinated. Here is the relevant article below...
Please advise!
From what I heard, 'unvaccinated' people still need the 'written authorization'. Although I agree that the content on the website does indicate that they maybe exempt. Very confusing site!

Reactions: hello2020

sheikhzaid

Aug 14, 2011
Visa Office......
Chennai
AOR Received.
12-07-2019
Do the fully vaccinated need authorization letter to travel of visitor visa?

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
My wife and 8 yo son are planning to come to Canada and they need written authorization letters for that. Should my wife request letters for both of them at one time or it must be separate requests?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My wife and 8 yo son are planning to come to Canada and they need written authorization letters for that. Should my wife request letters for both of them at one time or it must be separate requests?
No authorization letter needed. If have visas and are vaccinated, they can enter

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
No authorization letter needed. If have visas and are vaccinated, they can enter
Sorry, I forgot to mention that they are unvaccinated. I'm on a closed WP, my wife with OWP, and my son with SP. They already were in Canada before but left a few months ago for family reasons. Now they need to come back.
Thank you for the reply.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry, I forgot to mention that they are unvaccinated. I'm on a closed WP, my wife with OWP, and my son with SP. They already were in Canada before but left a few months ago for family reasons. Now they need to come back.
Thank you for the reply.
They will not be allowed to enter Canada by airplane if not fully vaccinated. Don’t know age of son, but your wife will not be allowed into Canada.

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
They will not be allowed to enter Canada by airplane if not fully vaccinated. Don’t know age of son, but your wife will not be allowed into Canada.
My son is 8 years old.
Sorry, but this is not correct according this wizard she will likely be allowed as they reuniting with a temporary resident: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start
In addition, there is some clarification on this page (see below) https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#family:

Only family members who qualify as fully vaccinated travellers may come to Canada for optional travel.
Examples of optional travel include:

• your work permit is valid for a specified amount of time, but your family member will not visit for the entire validity period of your work permit
  • your family member will visit you for an optional purpose, such as
    • tourism
    • entertainment
    • recreation
If the family member doesn’t qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, they won’t be allowed to enter Canada if their travel is optional.

Who can come for non-optional travel
Your immediate family member’s travel is non-optional if they’ll live with you for most of the time your work permit is valid.
Depending on their situation, they may need to request written authorization from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to reunite with you before they travel.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My son is 8 years old.
Sorry, but this is not correct according this wizard she will likely be allowed as they reuniting with a temporary resident: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start
In addition, there is some clarification on this page (see below) https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#family:

Only family members who qualify as fully vaccinated travellers may come to Canada for optional travel.
Examples of optional travel include:

• your work permit is valid for a specified amount of time, but your family member will not visit for the entire validity period of your work permit
  • your family member will visit you for an optional purpose, such as
    • tourism
    • entertainment
    • recreation
If the family member doesn’t qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, they won’t be allowed to enter Canada if their travel is optional.

Who can come for non-optional travel
Your immediate family member’s travel is non-optional if they’ll live with you for most of the time your work permit is valid.
Depending on their situation, they may need to request written authorization from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to reunite with you before they travel.
Getting mixed up with domestic travel. Where is your family landing? It says likely so she may not be allowed to board a plane. You will not know until boarding. They will need negative Covid tests and a quarantine plan.

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Getting mixed up with domestic travel. Where is your family landing? It says likely so she may not be allowed to board a plane. You will not know until boarding. They will need negative Covid tests and a quarantine plan.
The final destination is Ottawa, but there are none of the direct flights from Europe to avoid those domestic travel restrictions during layover. For this reason, they are planning to fly to Montreal then to get to Ottawa by car. Just went through wizard steps again and here is the result:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The final destination is Ottawa, but there are none of the direct flights from Europe to avoid those domestic travel restrictions. For this reason, they are planning to fly to Montreal then to get to Ottawa by car. Just went through wizard steps again and here is the result:

Again likely allowed is an open ended statement. They will find out when boarding because you will need to review airline policy too.

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
What is the webform for? They have their visas. Check the airline policies too.
Because my family still need written authorizations to travel. This special web-form here to submit a request: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/ClientContact/en/Crisis

You will likely be allowed to enter Canada if you meet these requirements; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.
What you need to do next

• demonstrate that your reason for travel is not optional, such as to establish yourself in Canada and live with your immediate family member while they are in Canada
  • bring documents to prove your family member's status and your family relationship with them
  • bring written authorization from an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officer
  • you must meet testing and quarantine requirements. Use the checklist for your method of entry:

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi,

I had requested for authorization letter for my spouse and son for their travel to Canada as I'm on a work permit currently working in Canada.
Today received update saying its rejected and reason mentioned as ' you have not established that your reasons for travelling are non discretionary or non optional'.
I had mentioned the reason as 'family reunite'.
can i submit again with some strong reason? will they consider ?
First, did you include or get married and had a son before your WP or SP? I have a brother who has similar experience. It took a while before getting the family into Canada. The issue is that, his wife was pregnant and got married while his application is processing. He ought to have informed IRCC before leaving his country. From, experience WP or SP is the best option, not just a TRV for spouse. Another option is get GCMS to see what is on file and reason for refusal.