+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC questionnaire giving option to apply for Super Visa in Canada

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went online to extend the stay of one of my parents as a visitor in Canada beyond 6 months using the information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

Initially I did this with the expectation I was just applying for a visitor record, however when I went through the application on the IRCC site and specified my parent is currently resident in Canada and not here with a Super Visa, I was given the option to apply for a Super Visa. Aside from eTA and Family Sponsorship, the options I were presented with were (exact wording):

1. Visitors (in Canada)
You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor / tourist.

2. Super Visa (in Canada)
You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada using a parent and grandparent super visa.

Whilst preferred, the second option doesn't make sense to me since everything I read states you can't apply for a Super Visa from within Canada. If I click through the Super Visa option I get a document checklist generated with all of the expected docs; invitation letter, confirmation of medical insurance, etc.

Is this valid or is it a mistake and am I just being presented with an option to extend a Super Visa for those who already entered Canada with a Super Visa?

Thanks!

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I additionally found this on the help icon of the question that asked if my parent came to Canada on a Super Visa:

Parents and grandparents who are in Canada on an authorized stay of up to six months may apply to extend their status for up to two years.
So it seems the stay can be extended up to 2 years, it's just that I can't find any info about this being an option anywhere (Canada Gov. websites, forums, internet). There also doesn't seem to be any requirement for a medical, which again is confusing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I went online to extend the stay of one of my parents as a visitor in Canada beyond 6 months using the information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

Initially I did this with the expectation I was just applying for a visitor record, however when I went through the application on the IRCC site and specified my parent is currently resident in Canada and not here with a Super Visa, I was given the option to apply for a Super Visa. Aside from eTA and Family Sponsorship, the options I were presented with were (exact wording):

1. Visitors (in Canada)
You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor / tourist.

2. Super Visa (in Canada)
You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada using a parent and grandparent super visa.

Whilst preferred, the second option doesn't make sense to me since everything I read states you can't apply for a Super Visa from within Canada. If I click through the Super Visa option I get a document checklist generated with all of the expected docs; invitation letter, confirmation of medical insurance, etc.

Is this valid or is it a mistake and am I just being presented with an option to extend a Super Visa for those who already entered Canada with a Super Visa?

Thanks!
Many of the visitor applications don't differentiate between visitor visa and supervisa. In terms up applying for an extension of up to 2 years is not something I've ever heard of. I guess they need to set a maximum amount you can request. Haven't seen many awarded 2 years although many probably didn't ask