+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra-Company Transfer Work Permit and Visa Processing in Singapore

vil36045

Feb 11, 2012
Hi to all,

Since it is very rare that I saw topics about Intra-company Transfer related discussion on this forum, I decided to tell my story on how I followed through the process here in Singapore for the benefit of others who are or will be in the same situation as I have gone through. Forgive me for not disclosing the name of the employers.

I have worked for company XXX in the Philippines for 7 years after deciding to work in Singapore for company YYY for 1 year. The company ZZZ in Canada which is affiliated or a subsidiary or sister company of company XXX offered me a job which is on a special skills category (please read the requirements for the Intra-company Transfer Category at CIC website).

After accepting the offer from company ZZZ, they turned me over to a Law Firm who will aid me processing my work permit and visa requirements. After completing all the requirements with the help of the law firm I was able to submit it personally in the Canadian embassy in Singapore on January 20, 2012.

On February 13, 2012, I received a letter from the embassy requiring me to get a Singapore Police Clearance. The SPF will not issue police clearance unless you have a request from the embassy. The day after I proceed to SPF to get a clearance. I will take 15 working days to process your clearance and they will send it directly to the Canadian Embassy.

On March 12, 2012 I received an email from the embassy through the Law Firm requiring me to submit my passport to the embassy. The day after, I submit my passport and told me to return on March 22, 2012 for collection.

After getting the visa and the Introduction letter, I immediately filed my resignation to company YYY.

Over all, It took me 2 months to get my Visa. For now, I am on my last remaining days in Singapore. ;)

Good luck to all of you and God Bless. :)

lucky_bird

Apr 29, 2012
Congratulations!

Did the high commission only ask for police report from Singapore Police Force? Or all countries you stayed more than 6 months after you turned 18 years old? Thanks a lot.

vil36045

Feb 11, 2012
Hi Lucky_bird,

Yes the high commission asked for police report/clearance from Singapore and from all countries I have stayed for more than 6 months after I turned 18 yrs old.

lucky_bird

Apr 29, 2012
Thank you. I am still waiting for their letter to go to Singapore Police Force, after I submitted my application personally the week before last week.

vil36045 said:
Hi Lucky_bird,

Yes the high commission asked for police report/clearance from Singapore and from all countries I have stayed for more than 6 months after I turned 18 yrs old.

vil36045

Feb 11, 2012
The letter will be coming very soon if 2 weeks have passed already just always check your mailbox. Processing time for Singapore Police clearance is a long 3 weeks plus the posting time approx 3 days. Just relax and be positive. :D

lucky_bird

Apr 29, 2012
Really appreciate your help. Enjoy your remaining days in Singapore.

vil36045 said:
The letter will be coming very soon if 2 weeks have passed already just always check your mailbox. Processing time for Singapore Police clearance is a long 3 weeks plus the posting time approx 3 days. Just relax and be positive. :D

gio.llanes

Feb 18, 2012
hi vil36045,

do you have any plans of going back to Phils before leaving for Canada? I know that if we leave from Singapore, OEC isn't required anymore but if we go back to Phils, Phil immigration may ask for OEC/PDOS. do you know anything about this requirement? can you share anything on how to go about this?

thanks,

vil36045

Feb 11, 2012
Hi gio,

No I wont be going back to manila. I will go directly from SG to Canada to avoid those things in PH. ;D

globe_trotter

May 30, 2012
HI vil36045 & luck_bird,

Need some help. I am in the same boat, I have an intra company transfer offer from my present employer in Singapore, which is a top tier bank, & I have been working with them for last 2.5 years in Singapore. I will be eligible in specialalized knowledge category.
Question for you guys:
Is only offer letter enough to appy for visa or do I need cover letter explaining reason for intra-company transfer also?
I dont have immigration lawyer and I will be applying myself so I am collectin all needed documents and completing forms myself.

Appreciate your help!

vil36045

Feb 11, 2012
Hi globe_trotter

There are 3 categories under intracompany transfer i think as per cic, at where do you fall?
I am at the specialized knowledge category. Offer letter I think is not enough, you have to have a letter or proof that you are qualified for the kind of workpermit. You can ask your employer to make a letter to the embassy why your transfer in Canada is needed. My company here made a letter why i should belong to the specialized knowledge category through the immigration lawyer.

Regards and good luck.

globe_trotter

May 30, 2012
Hi vil36045,

Thanks for your reply. I will be applying in special knowledge category. I have several years of experience & education. I will ask my employer to provide a cover letter in that case. I also lived in US so I am going to need a clearance from FBI also I guess, not sure if they ask everyone to get it though, this will also take sometime. One more thing, Do I need to get document copies certified before sending(they are all in English) and If I need to submit original copy of offer letter ? Will ask you more questions later =)

Thanks

vil36045

Feb 11, 2012
Hi globe trotter,

Be sure to ask your employer to emphasize your specialized knowledge and include what will be your duties and responsibilities when you transfer in your Canadian Office. You letter must be convincing enough that you really have it. Include all your training certificates if you have.If you have lived in the US, you need an FBI clearance. I think it took 8 weeks for my friend to get one so you better get started.

No, you do not need it be certified true copies, you just submit the originals. If you have the original copy of the offer letter then you can use it, but for me it just submitted photocopy. What City in Canada are you going?

globe_trotter

May 30, 2012
Hi vil36045

Thanks for the reply again. I will ask my employer to provide a lot of info. I will be going to Toronto. Did you mean submit the original education certificates like university degree & school education certificates or just copies? If I submit originals, will they return them after processing?

Thanks

vil36045

Feb 11, 2012
Hi g_t,

Yup you should submit all original certificates. Don't worry they will return all of those after they have reviewed it, whether your visa/permit is approved or not.

Good luck!

globe_trotter

May 30, 2012
Thanks vil36045, I got the visa. For benefit of others, following are my timelines:

12 Jul, 2012 : submitted application package to CIC Singapore in person
02 Aug, 2012: received an email from CIC to submit passport
07 Aug, 2012: personally submitted passport in the morning and collected it in the afternoon with visa stamped on it & a letter

Note: I sent fingerprints to FBI, received by them on 25 June, credit card charged on 17 Jul, but I am yet to receive anything from them. CIC didn't ask for any clearance so no worries.

Good Luck!