Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
In the case of international travel, if there are no stamps in the passport, AND, there is no mention of travel in the CBSA travel history reports, what is the evidence of travel?

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
66 views and no reply :eek:

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
If there are no boarding passes. Then?

thecoolguysam said:
boarding passes.

You can get travel record from the country where you visited (only if they provide travel records eg. USA)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am not sure of the context for this query. However, it alludes to the larger issue of how residency is assessed, including the mechanics of proving residency.

As I discuss below in this long post of related observations, for purposes of assessing or establishing residency, two elements loom very large:

(1) It is the applicant's job to completely and accurately report all dates of international travel; PRs who do not keep records sufficient to do this, or sufficient to document this if issued RQ, are at a serious disadvantage since the burden of proof is solidly on the applicant.

(2) Dates of entry and exit are important, critical, but they are only part of the residency equation; proof of place of abode and employment and other activity, and typical residency ties, is just as important if an applicant is issued RQ. Much more about this below.

CanadianCountry said:
In the case of international travel, if there are no stamps in the passport, AND, there is no mention of travel in the CBSA travel history reports, what is the evidence of travel?
Best records of travel are those kept by the person traveling.

A PR cannot rely on any other record to necessarily be complete.

The U.S. entry record, and the CBSA entry records, can almost always be relied upon to be accurate, so far as the border crossing event was captured. But while these records are increasingly complete, they still cannot be relied upon to be entirely complete. Accurate but not complete. That is, dates reflected in these records are almost always correct as to date and POE, that is accurate, but they do not necessarily reflect every time an individual goes through a POE.

The older the time period involved, the less complete the records tend to be.

That said, for many, these records appear to be complete now going back to around 2010 or so.

For the individual who did not keep records . . .

First, a reminder, relative to both the PR Residency Obligation and the residency requirement, the burden of proof is on the applicant. There is no question, PRs should be keeping at least some records relative to all international travel, and for sure as to the dates of exit and entry.

In a residency case, if there is no documentation to prove dates of travel, CIC can make inferences based on whatever other evidence, or more to the point, lack of evidence there is. That is, the burden of bringing forward evidence is on the applicant. The failure to bring forth evidence, if requested, hurts the applicant's case.

All that said, for the individual who did not keep records, so long as the declaration is complete (all travel declared) and accurate, the odds of an issue about travel dates are relatively low.

CIC looks to records like the CBSA travel history for verification purposes. CIC is looking more to find discrepancies or omissions than it is make a case on behalf of an applicant. It is up to the applicant to make his case. CIC does very little, if anything, to find information, records, or evidence that will support the applicant's case, since, again, that is up to the applicant.

Caution: While, as I said, CBSA records are not relied upon to be entirely complete, if there is a known date of entry into Canada and there is no CBSA record of that entry, that can raise questions about whether or not the PR was using some other, undisclosed Travel Documents. An isolated instance of an incomplete CBSA entry record, in the absence of any other indications leading CIC to have concerns, is probably not at all problematic. But, if CIC perceives a PR has potentially been using an alternative, undisclosed Travel Document, when going through a POE, the level of scrutiny and potentially skepticism can rise dramatically, depending of course on all the other facts and circumstances in the case.

Ultimately, travel dates are only a part of the equation . . .

Ultimately, travel dates are only a part of the equation. In cases where CIC has elected to scrutinize residency, declared travel dates will be compared to all the other evidence of residency.

In particular, while generally there is a presumption that between the date of an entry into Canada and the next date of exit, the PR was in Canada between those two dates, this presumption evaporates if CIC issues RQ or otherwise engages in a residency examination. Once residency is in issue, the date of entry and next date of exit are important, but it is just as important for the applicant to document place of abode, place of employment, other activity, typical residency ties, and so on, between those dates. Without proof of actual residency and activity in Canada between a date of entry and next date of exit, CIC might infer there was an unreported absence during that period of time.

Overall, "proof" is not something that exists in the abstract. Proof is dependent on how all facts and circumstances relate to one another. What constitutes proof of a given fact is a judgment made by the decision-maker.

"Evidence" itself is just that, "evidence," be that testimonial or documentation, it is information and items tending to show the existence or non-existence of this or that fact. Some evidence is much stronger than other evidence. Some evidence is considered more credible. Some more reliable. As noted, CBSA travel history reflecting dates of entry into Canada are considered to be highly reliable as to what dates are specifically reflected. In contrast, though, the CBSA history is not considered to necessarily confirm there were no other trips (especially if CIC perceives the possibility alternative, undisclosed Travel Documents were sometimes used).

And in many cases, there can be conflicting evidence. When there is conflicting evidence, it is up to the decision-maker to determine which is more credible, more reliable. And it is up to the decision-maker what inferences (so long as the inferences are reasonable) are to be made based on the evidence.

And, as already noted, the absence of evidence tends to go against the applicant, since again the burden of proof, the burden to bring sufficient evidence forward to prove residency, is on the applicant.

What the latter means is that CIC does not have to conclude an applicant did not meet the residency requirement in order to deny the application. All CIC has to conclude is that the applicant failed to prove having met the residency requirement. For some reason this seems to be often overlooked, applicants surprised that an applicant who in fact, in reality, met the residency requirement can be and sometimes is denied. What is overlooked is that an applicant must both have actually met the residency requirement, and have submitted sufficient proof of having met the residency requirement. In other words, even if an applicant in fact, in reality met the residency requirement, CIC is obligated to deny citizenship if that applicant fails to submit sufficient proof of residency when requested (to be clear, CIC does not use a crystal ball).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The applicant's residency declarations: testimonial evidence.

My post above does not address the most obvious "evidence" of travel dates. I suppose I did not address this because it really should be so commonly understood so as to not need much explanation.

The most obvious evidence of a PR's international travel dates is, of course, the PR's (the applicant's) declaration. This is testimonial evidence. It is required in every citizenship application, a signed residency calculation reporting all dates of travel outside Canada (except day trips; noting though that the last version of RQ I have seen does, however, require the applicant to also report all day trips).

As I said above, for the individual who did not keep records, so long as the declaration made is complete (all travel declared) and accurate, the chance there will be an issue about travel dates is relatively low.

And, even if such an applicant is nonetheless issued RQ, if the applicant's documentation and information about place of abode, employment, activities, other residency ties, is sufficient and consistent with the reported travel dates, the applicant should have no problems.

Credibility of the applicant:

Thus, one of the largest factors in a residency case is the credibility of the applicant. If the totality of the case supports the inference that the applicant is credible, that is, the applicant has been both accurate and complete in reporting facts including travel dates, that bodes very well for the applicant. In contrast, if CIC perceives challenges to the applicant's credibility, reason to doubt the accuracy or completeness of the applicant's declarations (which, again, are testimonial evidence), whether due to dishonesty or mistake or oversight, that will make it more difficult for the applicant to successfully make his case.

There is no rocket science, advanced engineering, crystal ball or cosmic omniscience, in this. The applicant who accurately and completely reports all travel dates, and for whom there is no cause for CIC to doubt credibility, should have no problems.

In contrast, credibility tends to suffer, and the applicant's case can go downhill fast, if inconsistencies or omissions are indicated in comparing Travel Document stamps with the declaration, or in comparing the declaration with the CBSA travel history, or if there is an absence of documentation as to place of abode or employment, or there is some other contrary evidence which surfaces. (Example of some contrary evidence surfacing: for one applicant, a flyer surfaced indicating the individual was at a conference in Europe, for a time period the individual had declared he was in Canada, the flyer indicating the individual was at that conference in a position on behalf of a company, a foreign based company, the individual did not disclose in his employment history. Did not turn out well for this individual. Case decision did not reveal how it was that CIC came across this flyer . . . there are reports CIC can and sometimes does do various internet searches regarding applicants, from Google to LinkedIn, Canada411, and such.)

And of course, if the applicant failed to keep sufficient records and cannot completely and accurately declare all dates of travel, yes that can be a problem, a big problem.

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I requested entry/exits records for the countries I visited that didn't stamp my passport. One of them was my home country which I had the most visits to. The citizenship officer did use them to check my residence calculator dates, but only after I mentioned I had them. You can find details of how to get records of movement for a few countries here:

http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/records-of-movement/

(it may be a bit out of date)

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadianCountry said:
If there are no boarding passes. Then?
Etickets. Those can be usually requested from the airlines for the small fee. Also, BSA reports from the country you visited.