+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student

Twiga

Feb 14, 2012
I need a help from everyone out there, I came to USA 7 years ago, I graduated from a university and granted one year OPT, while I was on my OPT my wife who came with an F2 changed her visa to F1. When she started school, I forget that I was supposed to change my visa from F1 to F2 so I had already overstayed. My wife has applied a college in Canada and she has been accepted, we have two boys who were born in Zambia and two girls who were born here in US. My questions are:-
1. Because I over stayed here in US, can I apply a Canadian visa here in US or I need to go back to Zambia and apply from there?
2. Can my wife be denied due to my status here in US?
3. Will the number of children that we have can be an issue?
4. Does it make any difference applying from Buffalo and from Los Angeles?
5. My wife finished with Associate Degree; will it be OK for her to go to Canada and join a junior college with the major similar to what she took here in US? She graduated with Associate in Counseling and she is going for Early Childhood Development.
6. Does anyone have an advice concerning this matter?

I will appreciate for you kindly responses from my questions above, may God bless each one of you.

Thanks
Alex

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
Twiga said:
I need a help from everyone out there, I came to USA 7 years ago, I graduated from a university and granted one year OPT, while I was on my OPT my wife who came with an F2 changed her visa to F1. When she started school, I forget that I was supposed to change my visa from F1 to F2 so I had already overstayed. My wife has applied a college in Canada and she has been accepted, we have two boys who were born in Zambia and two girls who were born here in US. My questions are:-
1. Because I over stayed here in US, can I apply a Canadian visa here in US or I need to go back to Zambia and apply from there?
5. My wife finished with Associate Degree; will it be OK for her to go to Canada and join a junior college with the major similar to what she took here in US? She graduated with Associate in Counseling and she is going for Early Childhood Development.

I will appreciate for you kindly responses from my questions above, may God bless each one of you.

Thanks
Alex
OK, You are from Zambia. Your wife is also from Zambia ? What's your status now in US ?

Twiga

Feb 14, 2012
I still have my F1 visa which has actually expired due to my over stay, I don't know how should I count my status as illegal or over stayed. Yes, both my wife and I plus two children are Zambians but two of our kids are US citizens. Do you have any idea how would my case be? Can I apply from here or back home? Is any possibility that I can be granted a visa to Canada?

Thanks

Alex

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
Twiga said:
I still have my F1 visa which has actually expired due to my over stay, I don't know how should I count my status as illegal or over stayed. Yes, both my wife and I plus two children are Zambians but two of our kids are US citizens. Do you have any idea how would my case be? Can I apply from here or back home? Is any possibility that I can be granted a visa to Canada?

Thanks

Alex
What's the status of your wife ? How old are your children ?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Twiga said:

Thanks
Alex
Hi,

1. You (not your spouse) will face problem in US because you are not in status. Best way is to apply from your country of citizenship (still, chances are not so good for you). Your spouse can apply in US.
2. No.
3. No. Either, it would be refusal of all OR only approval of main applicant. You will have to show one year tuition fees + CAD 10,000 (applicant's living expense) + CAD 4,000 (dependent living expenses) + CAD 3,000 (multiply number of kids).
4. No difference.
5. It MUST be upto the level of an 'Associate Degree OR Associate Degree+).

Twiga

Feb 14, 2012
Is it true that if you were in US legally for 1yr+ then it shouldn't be a problem applying for any kind of visa going to Canada?

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
Twiga said:
Is it true that if you were in US legally for 1yr+ then it shouldn't be a problem applying for any kind of visa going to Canada?
Yes,if you are in US legally for 1 year+ and can prove that you are financially sound then it shouldn't be any problem getting a visa.

Twiga

Feb 14, 2012
Thank you so much Ashokcan for your wonderful details, let me try apply for all of us and see what will happen next and then I will go from there. If you have further details regarding my issue, please let me know. Again, thank you so much.

If someone else has more details on my issue please send me those information you might know, please, please.

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
Twiga said:
Thank you so much Ashokcan for your wonderful details, let me try apply for all of us and see what will happen next and then I will go from there. If you have further details regarding my issue, please let me know. Again, thank you so much.

If someone else has more details on my issue please send me those information you might know, please, please.
Twiga,

Before taking any further step, why don't you get in touch with a lawyer. This website is owned by well known Canadian lawyer. First consultation is free.

Twiga

Feb 14, 2012
Ashokcan,

Thank you for your advise, how can I get hold of a lawyer? Can you please give me their contacts so I can first reach them before I take any step? I think your idea is very important and I was thinking about it too, but then when it comes to cost I am very afraid because their cost is always high. Nevertheless, sometimes you have no choice and this is what I have to do to make sure things go on my way, again thank you for your advise and i am waiting for your reply with contacts of any Canadian lawyer you might know.

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
Twiga said:
Ashokcan,

Thank you for your advise, how can I get hold of a lawyer? Can you please give me their contacts so I can first reach them before I take any step? I think your idea is very important and I was thinking about it too, but then when it comes to cost I am very afraid because their cost is always high. Nevertheless, sometimes you have no choice and this is what I have to do to make sure things go on my way, again thank you for your advise and i am waiting for your reply with contacts of any Canadian lawyer you might know.
Twiga,

As I wrote to you earlier, this website is owned by Attorney David Cohen, immigration lawyer to Canada.
on the left hand side of his website, you can find his contact numbers and you can consult him for free like any lawyers. Time is money. you can always negotiate fee with Attorney, its good to know law before hand.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashokcan said:
its good to know law before hand.
Hi,

1. Instead, you should write that it's good to know law before hiring any attorney. OP is already out of status in US. Are you sure if attorney can be helpful?

Twiga

Feb 14, 2012
Re: Help Please on my Bank Statement !!

1. I ahve two checking bank accounts, one account I have it for more than 10 years, this account doesn't have enough fund, the second account if 3months old, this account it has more money. The visa office requires an applicant to present to them bank statement for the past 6 months, I guess but not sure. So, what should I do? Should I send both bank statements or should I withdraw the money from my newest bank and deposit them to my old bank before sending the statement to the VO?

2. If my wife is going going to school and we are a family of 6 people, how much money should we have in the bank?

3. If I don't have sufficient fund in my bank account, and two of my friends are willing to provide their bank statements to support me, is it allowed to be sponsored by friends? If not, why?

4. If my monthly pay check is directly deposited to my bank, can this make a difference to VO even if my account does not have sufficient fund?

Please my friends, can you please provide the answers to my above question< I know some of you have some ideas or experiences regarding these matters.

Thank you

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011

Twiga said:
1. I ahve two checking bank accounts, one account I have it for more than 10 years, this account doesn't have enough fund, the second account if 3months old, this account it has more money. The visa office requires an applicant to present to them bank statement for the past 6 months, I guess but not sure. So, what should I do? Should I send both bank statements or should I withdraw the money from my newest bank and deposit them to my old bank before sending the statement to the VO?

2. If my wife is going going to school and we are a family of 6 people, how much money should we have in the bank?

3. If I don't have sufficient fund in my bank account, and two of my friends are willing to provide their bank statements to support me, is it allowed to be sponsored by friends? If not, why?

4. If my monthly pay check is directly deposited to my bank, can this make a difference to VO even if my account does not have sufficient fund?

Please my friends, can you please provide the answers to my above question< I know some of you have some ideas or experiences regarding these matters.

Thank you
Twiga,

1. Provide both Bank's statement . What VO would like to see an older account with sufficient fund transactions. Your second bank is only 3 months old, it should be three years old, for US Visa. But you are applying for Canadian Visa, so provide both statement.

2. You can have a look in CHG visa website. For each adult Can$ 10,000 yearly expenses for child less.

3. No friend's bank statement .

4. Yes, monthly pay check in your account can make a difference.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Twiga said:

Hi,

2. For a family of 6;

1st year tuition fees
+ CAD 10,000 (living expenses/year of the main applicant)
+ CAD 4,000 (living expenses/year of the dependent/spouse)
+ CAD 3,000 (multiply number of childrens)

Total = 1st year tuition fees + CAD 26,000.

4. No, it won't make any difference towards your financial capacity requirement. You MUST have sufficient funds before you apply for the visa.