31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived
Hello everyone!

This is by far a more productive, assisting and cost efficient and worth it platform than going to a consultant or lawyer. You've assisted me with my settlement to Canada and I've been doing well for myself and my family.

I'm here today to try and assist my sister who is 16 years of age and just finished high school and I'd like to bring her here to study college and hopefully after work and become a resident as well.

I've seen a few threads with steps but my sister living in a country where there is no VAC so can't do biometrics I'm just trying to get as much assistance as I can.

We are going for a one year program where I'll be paying the tuition. Is that suffice to perhaps get a open work permit after studies? How much should I show in order to get the application successful? Does it help to pay the tuition in full upfront? Should she do high school last year here first? Please any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

thank you all in advance.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
An eligible one-year program can lead to a one-year open work permit. She needs to show she can pay for tuition + $10,000 in living expenses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone!

This is by far a more productive, assisting and cost efficient and worth it platform than going to a consultant or lawyer. You've assisted me with my settlement to Canada and I've been doing well for myself and my family.

I'm here today to try and assist my sister who is 16 years of age and just finished high school and I'd like to bring her here to study college and hopefully after work and become a resident as well.

I've seen a few threads with steps but my sister living in a country where there is no VAC so can't do biometrics I'm just trying to get as much assistance as I can.

We are going for a one year program where I'll be paying the tuition. Is that suffice to perhaps get a open work permit after studies? How much should I show in order to get the application successful? Does it help to pay the tuition in full upfront? Should she do high school last year here first? Please any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

thank you all in advance.
It's really your choice.

High school in Canada will cost you around $15,000 in tuition. She won't be able to work while studying at the high school level.

College / university is probably a much better investment.

What are her long term plans? If the objective is to get PR, a 1 year college program is a bad plan and the chances of transitioning from a 1 year PGWP to PR will be low. If the objective is PR, she should take at least a 2 year program so that she qualifies for a 3 year PGWP.

dominicantiguan

Apr 24, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived
It's really your choice.

High school in Canada will cost you around $15,000 in tuition. She won't be able to work while studying at the high school level.

College / university is probably a much better investment.

What are her long term plans? If the objective is to get PR, a 1 year college program is a bad plan and the chances of transitioning from a 1 year PGWP to PR will be low. If the objective is PR, she should take at least a 2 year program so that she qualifies for a 3 year PGWP.

Syclla, I'm honored to hear from you. It's been a longtime and thank you for your suggestion. I did assume 2 year would be better in terms of transitioning to PR but I suppose I was more concerned of the cost. Living in southwest Ontario the colleges of course are not cheap especially for international students.

If we do go the 2 year route..what steps and documents do you recommend I take? also can someone guide me to like a donate spot for this forum? It's insane how helpful users are on here and consultants will charge almost $200 without giving you much information

dominicantiguan

Apr 24, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived
An eligible one-year program can lead to a one-year open work permit. She needs to show she can pay for tuition + $10,000 in living expenses.
She's a minor who hasn't worked so she won't be able to show any funds. I would like to do that on her behalf. I own property in Canada and because we've looked at colleges near me she would definitely live with my wife and I especially since we have spare rooms.

dominicantiguan

Apr 24, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived
P.S I made a mistake where this was posted so if it can be moved to just the international students thread i'd appreciate that. She is not coming from the U.S but also the Caribbean

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
She's a minor who hasn't worked so she won't be able to show any funds. I would like to do that on her behalf. I own property in Canada and because we've looked at colleges near me she would definitely live with my wife and I especially since we have spare rooms.
In this case she also needs to show ties to her home country. It needs to be clear she won't stay with you illegally.

dominicantiguan

Apr 24, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived
In this case she also needs to show ties to her home country. It needs to be clear she won't stay with you illegally.
Which shouldn't be a problem seeing as her parents and our siblings family also live back home. Thank you though
If you have any documents in mind that we should have to help ensure that please let me know

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Which shouldn't be a problem seeing as her parents and our siblings family also live back home. Thank you though
If you have any documents in mind that we should have to help ensure that please let me know
A property is not enough. You’ll need to show at least 25k of available funds. Would really suggest she do some post secondary studies in her home country and then further her education in Canada unless you have a lot of savings. Having parents and other siblings is not enough ties. There must be a plan as to how the degree will be beneficial for her return home and why it was necessary to come to Canada versus study at home. The fact that you are in Canada creates quite a lot of ties.

dominicantiguan

Apr 24, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived
I'm not 25k in savings at the moment but I could do that however am I able to add credit lines as I have quite a few (no debt) totalling over $50k. Does transferring that to my chequing or savings make it possible to use as proof of funds?

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about explaining how her ties are stronger back home seeing as she's a minor and I'm the only one she has here but her parents and her life is back home. Also, is it actually cheaper if she did post studies back home to then come here after? I assumed it was the same price anyway. This is even more difficult than I thought I guess.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Costs depend on what kind of degree she does and what kind of degree she does. Realistically many 1-2 year college diploma courses don’t lead to skilled jobs. Without knowing what kind of education she wants to pursue it is very hard to comment. Your proof of funds should really be savings versus transferring money to your account that you borrowed from your line of credit.