+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

interesting test question

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi there I found it quite interesting situation with one of my colleagues at work and I promised her I will ask the forum. So her citizenship application is rejected after she passes the test as she was short 60 days so question is when she applies again does she have yo give the test again as well.
I couldn't find info on cic website so thought to take help from the forum.
thanks

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
Yes, the process will restart from scratch. Please advise your colleague that the new rules are in place (i.e. The new residence requirement of 4/6 years and other requirements are effectively in place).

Southerner

Jul 22, 2014
I am no expert but I think resubmitting an application means that you forfeit everything from the previous application. So, new application=new documents/evidence=new test.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
She will have to redo the test again as if it is applied for the first time.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK great sounds good n sure make sense one last question we were going through new application for citizenship n got confused with question 6 h I guess. where it says tax return should be for 4 yrs. out of 6. then it asks for details for if u have sin n u filed taxes does that column need 6 yrs data or 4 yrs..I need little clarification can anyone please help.
Thanks

bestfriendever

Apr 21, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Scarborough
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there.

The same thing happened to me. I was rejected first, and I had to re-do everything again. She needs to apply from the beginning. Make sure she sends a copy of the decision with her application. She will probably get RQed again. It happened to me, but this time around was so fast, that I regret having applied in 2010.

Hope it helps.

ashirale

Star Member
Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
2133/2147
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-2007
Doc's Request.
10-2009
Med's Request
09-2010
Med's Done....
09-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05-2011
I thought candidates were not invited to the test if they did not meet the residence requirements.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No dear just don't know how it works bug she got the test 20 out of 20 but after that if went to the judge n coz of few days short even though by the time application went to judge almost had all days but they said had to reapply....

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks best friend ever for detailed reply can someone please help I understanding question 6 in new citizen application please

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
farid- said:
OK great sounds good n sure make sense one last question we were going through new application for citizenship n got confused with question 6 h I guess. where it says tax return should be for 4 yrs. out of 6. then it asks for details for if u have sin n u filed taxes does that column need 6 yrs data or 4 yrs..I need little clarification can anyone please help.
Thanks
Not sure what you need clarified.

Mostly, see the CIC Program Delivery Instruction (PDI) for "Income tax filing" (this is a link).

The application has space to list the six years preceding the year in which the application is made. For each of those years there are two checkbox items, yes or no the applicant was "required to file" a tax return for that year, and yes or no the applicant did file a tax return for that year.

For at least four of those six years, the applicant needs to have checked yes to a tax return having been filed or checked no that there was no obligation to file a return for that year. That is, the applicant's response to the item overall must reflect that the applicant met his or her obligations to file tax returns for at least four of the six years preceding the year in which the application is being made.

New provisions, including regulations, allow CIC to share information with CRA to verify the information submitted: thus at the least CRA will confirm what years a tax return was filed or not filed.

For example, for a PR who landed in early 2010 and is applying in September 2015, 2015 cannot be one of the "taxation years" since the year is still in progress (according to the example CIC uses in its PDI). Since the applicant did not land until 2010, I do not think that 2009 counts either (not sure of this but that is what makes the most sense). So 6 H will look something like this:

Tax year ... Required to file ... Taxes filed
2010 ......... (yes or no) ....... (yes or no)
2011 ......... (yes or no) ....... (yes or no)
2012 ......... (yes or no) ....... (yes or no)
2013 ......... (yes or no) ....... (yes or no)
2014 ......... (yes or no) ....... (yes or no)

Since the applicant must have been physically present in Canada 183+ days in each of at least four years (thus at least three in the 2010 to 2014 years if the PR was present 183 or more days in 2015 before applying), it is presumable that the applicant was required to file a tax return for each of those years (CRA presumes resident status for tax purposes for anyone who was present in Canada for 183 days or more).

In any event, to meet the tax filing requirement, the applicant needs to have checked yes in taxes filed column, or no in the required to file column, for each of at least four of the listed years.

This information can be shared with the CRA and it can also be used in the assessment of meeting the physical presence requirement.

Obviously, for example, a person who checks "no" in the "required to file" column and the "taxes filed" column, for a given year, faces at least some scrutiny about presence unless it is clear in the application why "no" is applicable: presence in Canada less than six months and not a resident that year, or perhaps a stay-at-home parent with young children who has no personal income and is fully supported by a spouse. But even the latter scenario is likely to draw attention and scrutiny since there are benefits for filing a tax return.

In the example I pose above, there might only be three years for which a "yes" in both columns is the minimum response . . . a "no" for the year in which less than 183 days is reported as present in Canada will be a year that the applicant was not a resident and not required to file a tax return (unless the applicant had Canadian based income that year) . . . so that would meet the four years compliance requirement but might not escape elevated scrutiny . . . since any year in which the applicant was resident (at least presumably, as in present 183 or more days) but is a year in which "yes" does not get checked in both columns, is likely to draw attention, some elevated scrutiny (that is, there should be a "yes" in both columns for all years in which the applicant was present at least 183 days, even if that is not specifically required by the tax filing provision).

There are many things CIC appears to be looking for. Applicants relying on foreign-based income is one. Applicants failing to disclose all absences is another big one (particularly applicants who may have business or employment abroad). Incongruities in general (family not taking advantage of benefits available through filing tax returns; applicants with lifestyles disproportionate to income; among many others).

Obviously the vast majority of legitimate applicants will be checking yes in both columns for each year since landing and settling in Canada (or, at least since coming to Canada to actually settle in Canada for those who delayed settling in Canada after landing), and CRA will confirm that information to CIC. No problem.

ashirale said:
I thought candidates were not invited to the test if they did not meet the residence requirements.
For pre-June-11-applicants, meeting the basic residency test was sufficient to establish eligibility for the grant of citizenship. For such applicants there are three different tests for determining if the residency requirement was met. Only a Citizenship Judge can decide which test is to be applied unless the applicant was actually physically present for at least 1095 days (in this case, the residency requirement is met and there is no reason for referring the case to a CJ). Thus, those PRs who applied based on meeting the basic residency requirement (which is all PRs who have been a PR more than three years, regardless of how much time was spent in Canada, and also many who were a PR more than two years and who were living in Canada prior to becoming a PR) must be processed through the whole procedure, including knowledge test, and then referred to a CJ. CJs can (and apparently in some cases still do) approve shortfall applicants based on the applicant having centralized his or her life in Canada (per Koo criteria), even though it appears the odds are not at all good for shortfall applicants.

Note: since June 11, there is no possibility of making a shortfall but eligible for citizenship application.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
farid- said:
So her citizenship application is rejected after she passes the test as she was short 60 days. . .
farid- said:
No dear just don't know how it works bug she got the test 20 out of 20 but after that if went to the judge n coz of few days short even though by the time application went to judge almost had all days but they said had to reapply....
60 days isn't a "few days short." It's two months.

All the best to your friend in her second application.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot for very detailed reply n link was really helpful that's exactly what I was looking for was confused with 2009 or 2010 but make sense now for taxes. sorry for late reply was little busy coz of eid with family.
And I totally agree whether you are short of 2 days or 60 days it's the same rule. but on other hand we are here on this forum to help each other instead of being judgemental as people do make silly mistakes but who are we to judge we can try to answer what we know from either personal experience or seek help from someone else n that's all my intention was to help someone thanks all for ur replies really appreciated.