+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance plans for visitors that include possible future pregnancy?

Audjgal

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2013
AOR Received.
11-10-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
Hi there,
I'm looking for information on Medical Insurance plans for Visitors to Ontario.
So far from the forum, it seems like no company has policies that cover preexisting pregnancy which is ok, but is there any Company that covers
a possible future pregnancy?
OR at the very least complications from a pregnancy or childbirth?
I am not pregnant and in excellent health but was thinking about trying in the next few months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Pregnancy and complications from pregnancy are handled the same way regardless of whether someone is already pregnant or not - very few insurance plans will cover these costs. Any plans that do cover these costs are very expensive and typically have many exclusions and/or expense caps.

Logically, it makes sense that insurance companies don't cover pregnancies. It's a losing proposition for them (and an expensive one at that).

If you're planning on possibly giving birth in Ontario - I would focus on finding ways to reduce the costs of the birth (e.g. going with a home birth and a midwife). I don't think you're going to have any luck finding an insurance plan that meets your needs unfortunately.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A few companies we work with cover emergency pregnancy up to 31 weeks, in their Visitors to Canada medical plans. That means that if you have any complications or give birth pre-term you would be covered. You can check our website for more details or give us a call at 1-877-211-4301.

Last edited:

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a plan from TIC that covers maternity up to $10,000 but the due date has to be more than 10 months after the effective date. That means that you can get pregnant a few months after you buy the policy. the plan is called Inpatriates to Canada. You can give us a call for more information at 1-877-211-4301.

sumiara45

Apr 24, 2014
Hello! If your wife is not yet pregnant but is planning to get pregnant soon, there is one insurance plan available that will cover prenatal care and delivery up to $10,000 (80%.) Her due date has to be at least 10 months after the effective date in order to be eligible for the maternity coverage. This plan costs around $1100 per year.
If she gets pregnant before buying insurance there is only coverage available for emergencies up to 31 weeks, from a few companies.

Eastwoodrider

Jun 14, 2014
Dear, haver

Could you tell me which pregnancy related emergencies are covered if a person is only planning to get pregnant while in Canada? Are there any plans that cover delivery or all of them are for emergencies only?In particular I'am interested in this TIC plan,or may be there are other suitable options.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By emergencies they mean complications in pregnancy and the coverage is only up to 31 weeks. If she delivers before that it would be considered a preterm labor and would be covered. If she is not pregnant yet, then the best option is the TIC plan, which covers up to $10,000 for pregnancy expenses and delivery. You can message me in private or send me an email to arbetov.office@gmail.com

Sositi

Jun 19, 2014
Hello there,
I'm looking for information on Medical Insurance plans for Visitors to Ontario or other states.
Actually i just came from Africa. I would like to deliver my baby in Canada but I don't have that much money to pay my hospital bill. Is there any probability to get a company or health insurance to cover my hospital bill.
I am 27 weeks pregnant. I am in Toronto right now.
Thank you inn Advance.
Sositi

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Sositi said:
Hello there,
I'm looking for information on Medical Insurance plans for Visitors to Ontario or other states.
Actually i just came from Africa. I would like to deliver my baby in Canada but I don't have that much money to pay my hospital bill. Is there any probability to get a company or health insurance to cover my hospital bill.
I am 27 weeks pregnant. I am in Toronto right now.
Thank you inn Advance.
Sositi
Unfortunately, you are not going to be covered for delivery and pre-natal care since you are already pregnant and getting a private insurance will not solve the problem. Also, as you have mentioned, you just came to Canada, which, I assume, means that you are not yet eligible for OHIP either.