+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

inland/outland?common-law sponsorship

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hbwpg said:
We did demonstrate that we are in a common law relationship. We provided documentation. We were told no dice when we tried to extend his visa. That's the first hurdle. It also entirely depends on the IO you are dealing with. In our case she literally told us we have had enough time to decide if we like each other, and if we were married it would be a different result.
Wow, that's silly. I'm really glad we can't be arbitrarily separated like that.

maple2009

Dec 13, 2009
thanks guys alot! so much information =) you are so great!

im starting to think, marriage would be easiest way, but my partner wont do it yet. he says he love me,
im starting to believe that he dont love me enough to keep me here. so if he wont marry me
to keep me in his life, why would i bother to do all this??? cause he wont marry me, it feels like
he definitely dont plan to spend rest of his life with me...god, its just piece of paper...

i cant apply under skilled worker, im not qualify for that. so i dont know...maybe i start to think live-in garegiver
or something...this is so frustrated!

hbwpg

Nov 29, 2009
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-10
AOR Received.
30-11-10
File Transfer...
12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
Exactly.

And equal on paper doesn't really mean equal in application. If it was equal in application we would had a fairer shake.

Instead, we can't even qualify as common law now. We were intending to marry regardless, but I'd be lying if I said the fact we're doing it right away didn't have to do with immigration.

YorkFactory said:
Wow, that's silly. I'm really glad we can't be arbitrarily separated like that.

hbwpg

Nov 29, 2009
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-10
AOR Received.
30-11-10
File Transfer...
12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
Why don't you try to get the extension and then talk to your partner a little later on?

It's not just a piece of paper - it's a huge commitment and should be regarded as such.

Rather than making a rash decision and concluding that he doesn't love you, perhaps apply for an extension and give it more time.

maple2009 said:
thanks guys alot! so much information =) you are so great!

im starting to think, marriage would be easiest way, but my partner wont do it yet. he says he love me,
im starting to believe that he dont love me enough to keep me here. so if he wont marry me
to keep me in his life, why would i bother to do all this??? cause he wont marry me, it feels like
he definitely dont plan to spend rest of his life with me...god, its just piece of paper...

i cant apply under skilled worker, im not qualify for that. so i dont know...maybe i start to think live-in garegiver
or something...this is so frustrated!

hbwpg

Nov 29, 2009
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-10
AOR Received.
30-11-10
File Transfer...
12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
Absolutely.

We had to shift our focus from being together in the present to planning for the future.

'Play ball' as my partner says.

Leon said:
Yes, it is always their right to deny somebody a temporary entry, especially if they believe that the person is not planning on leaving again. I suppose you could go and stay with him for 6 months in order to qualify as common law if you really want to but sometimes it's just simpler to get married.

maple2009

Dec 13, 2009
im sorry, but i think im those people who "dont believe" in marriage. i have seen too many divorces, my parents etc.
yes i think i need to apply extension and think about everything then. its just we have always huge fight whe talk about this...

i really want to stay here with him. my mom and her canadian husband is moving here in future. i want to be
near my family also.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
hbwpg said:
Exactly.

And equal on paper doesn't really mean equal in application. If it was equal in application we would had a fairer shake.

Instead, we can't even qualify as common law now. We were intending to marry regardless, but I'd be lying if I said the fact we're doing it right away didn't have to do with immigration.
Same situation here. My American partner was rejected on a conjugal application after we had decided to wed. Quite frankly Immigration was no small influence over the decision. I was adamant that I would not let my government force me into marriage (which seems so absurd when you think of the volume of marriages of convenience they are trying to prevent...). What I found from this process was that I wasn't as scared by marriage as I was by losing my partner and so we decided to marry regardless. Then he was refused. So we will reapply immediately following the wedding (with is the conclusion to a solid 5 year relationship). I'm so pleased we made the decision before the rejection so that I know in my heart this is right, even though it's necessity remains absurd.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But you believe in common-law? I can assure you that many more common-law relationships end in a split than marriages. :)

Either way, I hope things work out for you!

maple2009 said:
im sorry, but i think im those people who "dont believe" in marriage. i have seen too many divorces, my parents etc.
yes i think i need to apply extension and think about everything then. its just we have always huge fight whe talk about this...

i really want to stay here with him. or without, my mom and her canadian husband is moving here in future. i want to be
near my family also.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Karlshammar said:
But you believe in common-law? I can assure you that many more common-law relationships end in a split than marriages. :)

Either way, I hope things work out for you!
We think alike but I was thinking of

maple2009 said:
i would be ready to marry him, but he is not. we have known so little time, and he will be married only once, that what he keep saying.
It sounds like he isn't ready to marry and that's good because you don't want to. Try for common-law and we'll all wish you well!

hbwpg

Nov 29, 2009
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-10
AOR Received.
30-11-10
File Transfer...
12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
Indeed, I can relate.

Before I was adamant as well, having had reservations my whole life about marriage. Now, I feel it's the natural progression of things for my partner and I. His support has been a great help too. When he said 'why delay the inevitable?' it hit home.

tgchi13 said:
Same situation here. My American partner was rejected on a conjugal application after we had decided to wed. Quite frankly Immigration was no small influence over the decision. I was adamant that I would not let my government force me into marriage (which seems so absurd when you think of the volume of marriages of convenience they are trying to prevent...). What I found from this process was that I wasn't as scared by marriage as I was by losing my partner and so we decided to marry regardless. Then he was refused. So we will reapply immediately following the wedding (with is the conclusion to a solid 5 year relationship). I'm so pleased we made the decision before the rejection so that I know in my heart this is right, even though it's necessity remains absurd.

hbwpg

Nov 29, 2009
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-10
AOR Received.
30-11-10
File Transfer...
12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
Cosign.

Maple, apply for the extension first, get that out of the way. Then determine what you want to do. Common law sounds best for you two, unless things change down the road.

One thing I've learned is baby steps. A bit at a time. Otherwise it's overwhelming. For right now, get the extension out of the way.

tgchi13 said:
We think alike but I was thinking of

It sounds like he isn't ready to marry and that's good because you don't want to. Try for common-law and we'll all wish you well!

maple2009

Dec 13, 2009
you guys are so great! i dont know what i have done without this forum.i have read alot here, before i sign in!

i was thinking, my b/f have to travel quite much cause of his work. now he is in mexico and he were there 6weeks. he comes back now but will return to mexico in next year. cause he have to travel that much, do we qualify apply under common-law still...
or should we apply under conjugal? ive read conjugal is more difficult than common-law....

thanks again. thank you thank you for hundred times! :D

hbwpg

Nov 29, 2009
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-10
AOR Received.
30-11-10
File Transfer...
12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
I have no idea. Perhaps it's best to call immigration and ask?

Maybe one of the more seasoned folks on here will have an answer. That, to me, though, sounds like a phone call is worthwhile.

maple2009 said:
you guys are so great! i dont know what i have done without this forum.i have read alot here, before i sign in!

i was thinking, my b/f have to travel quite much cause of his work. now he is in mexico and he were there 6weeks. he comes back now but will return to mexico in next year. cause he have to travel that much, do we qualify apply under common-law still...
or should we apply under conjugal? ive read conjugal is more difficult than common-law....

thanks again. thank you thank you for hundred times! :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do not apply under conjugal if you can help it. Conjugal is meant for people who are unable to get married or live together. You might get lucky with an IO and get accepted but just as likely, you will get an IO who says they are not committed to each other or they would have gotten married already.

If you really don't believe in marriage, it's just a piece of paper to you, so if it eases your immigration, why not do it? Yes, marriage is a big committment but so is sponsorship. For your partner to sponsor you, he's taking financial responsibility for you for 3 years after you land as a PR. You might be long divorce before that time is up. If you end up going on welfare during that time, he'll have to pay it.

maple2009

Dec 13, 2009
i mean when i say i dont believe in marriage...i can be with my partner rest of my life without marry him. it does not make any difference to me are we married or not. but my partner it means more, he can not marry me yet. he says he want to marry me, but after we have know eachother for a long time.and its hard to get know, he has to travel alot, so he can support me. and he is away 4-6weeks and then few week at home. i dont know, i feel desperate and almost hopeless... :'(

i dont know. and can he sponsor me under common-law, cause he is traveling so much. he´s company is willing to pay my travels to with him, but my visitor record dot authorize re-entry, so i will wait him always here.
its not good situtation, we both are so stressed out.