ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joeschmo said:
Thank you Sophieee,

As a side note, I spoke to CIC today and the rep told me that I can apply for my OWP now and the processing takes four months which means I'll have it in March. The CIC website will be updated in a few days to reflect this and they will now encourage people to send in their OWP application separately from their PR application. The notes were sent out to CIC reps just today. So I guess this will mean that I'll have implied status between Feb. 21 (my expiration date) and the time my OWP becomes valid. I may just apply for TRP before this just in case.
Have you sent in your inland application already or are you doing all together? say I send my inland application along with the OWP, can I then receive my OWP in 4 months as well?

Do you have any more information regarding this?
Thanks im so confused as to what to do :)

PixieDuster

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
GTA - Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Inland withdrawn/ Resubmitted Outland 3-FEB-2015
AOR Received.
28-MAR-2015
File Transfer...
13-APR-2015
Passport Req..
01-MAY-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-MAY-2015
LANDED..........
17-MAY-2015
sophieee said:
... just wanted to start with the two most common thing I read in the 2013 and 2014 threads: "Wish I knew I could apply outland..." and "Wish I had sent an OWP..."
THIS.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chris1302 said:
Have you sent in your inland application already or are you doing all together? say I send my inland application along with the OWP, can I then receive my OWP in 4 months as well?

Do you have any more information regarding this?
Thanks im so confused as to what to do :)
If you do not currently have a work permit, you can include an OWP with your Inland application. It will be approximately 15 months before CIC even processes your OWP (based on the current processing times) because you are not eligible for the OWP until you have AIP (Approval In Principle)...which takes 15 months right now.

The other person already has a valid work permit and therefore has a different `path' for their OWP.

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Ponga said:
If you do not currently have a work permit, you can include an OWP with your Inland application. It will be approximately 15 months before CIC even processes your OWP (based on the current processing times) because you are not eligible for the OWP until you have AIP (Approval In Principle)...which takes 15 months right now.

The other person already has a valid work permit and therefore has a different `path' for their OWP.
Is this also an OWP form "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710]?
Although I haven't included it with my inland app I will still probably send it over, maybe they'll include it... Worth a shot?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MaryLou6 said:
Is this also an OWP form "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710]?
Although I haven't included it with my inland app I will still probably send it over, maybe they'll include it... Worth a shot?
Yes it is, but since you did not include it with your Inland application, you now have to wait until you have AIP to submit it.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
There is an article about the struggles of the inland sponsorship:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/permanent-residency-spouse-sponsorship-delays-leave-new-dad-unable-to-support-family-1.2872148

After posting the article CBC got the following update:
- Government to launch one-year pilot program to help spouse sponsorship work permit applicants
- New pilot program would allow applicants to work, provide for family during processing period

And the letter from CIC:
“The Minister has instructed officials to launch a one-year pilot program that will allow inland spousal sponsorship applicants to receive a work permit more quickly. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will take the necessary steps to speed up processing for work permit applicants in the inland spousal class while maintaining program integrity. This pilot program will ensure that, during the processing period, applicants will be able to work, provide for their families and contribute to the Canadian economy.”

Kevin Menard
Media Relations
Communications Branch
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Telephone: 613-952-1650
CIC-Media-Relations @ cic.gc.ca
This can be a game changer in deciding whether to apply inland or outland, although I would recommend to everyone to be skeptical with this information till CIC verify it on their own website.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
sophieee said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/permanent-residency-spouse-sponsorship-delays-leave-new-dad-unable-to-support-family-1.2872148

This can be a game changer in deciding whether to apply inland or outland, although I would recommend to everyone to be skeptical with this information till CIC verify it on their own website.
We are hoping to see it on the CIC website in the next few weeks!

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sophieee said:

The Fb group has proof of communication from CIC for this change. I am surprised you are not a member of that group :)

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
civic said:
The Fb group has proof of communication from CIC for this change. I am surprised you are not a member of that group :)
I am (although I have a hard time to follow because of the amount of comments), but I think that we still don't have anything but promises.
I'd like to see this written on the CIC website with all the exact details. Who, when and how can apply, how will they process the applications, etc.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
It is official now:
One Year Pilot – Issuance of open work permits to applicants for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp

SCLPC applicants whose permanent resident applications are received after December 22, 2014 will have their application for an open work permit processed within four months of receipt of their work permit application.

sonjgray

Dec 26, 2014
Hello! My partner and I are preparing our application to submit in early Jan. We've done much of the grunt work & read and re-read information, but I'm still a bit shaky on a couple of points.

1) Inland vs. Outland. We live in Canada & Outland processing for his country is 33+ months. If we are able to work the inland "implied status" route, I don't see the benefit of outland (2+ years apart ...). However, others mention this "outland" method often. Is this only for countries with short processing times that there are any real advantages?

2) About that implied status (sorry... I know it's talked about so often!). For reference, his work visa (a 3 year post-graduate work permit) is set to expire in August 2015. Based on processing times of stage 1, he would be out of work for ~8 months. Should we just send in the work application with the residency one? I'm afraid to trust the new rules, since they've yet to actually be roled out. Also, to verify, do we follow guide 5553 for that application? I see several very similar applications and want to double check!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
sonjgray said:
Hello! My partner and I are preparing our application to submit in early Jan. We've done much of the grunt work & read and re-read information, but I'm still a bit shaky on a couple of points.

1) Inland vs. Outland. We live in Canada & Outland processing for his country is 33+ months. If we are able to work the inland "implied status" route, I don't see the benefit of outland (2+ years apart ...). However, others mention this "outland" method often. Is this only for countries with short processing times that there are any real advantages?

2) About that implied status (sorry... I know it's talked about so often!). For reference, his work visa (a 3 year post-graduate work permit) is set to expire in August 2015. Based on processing times of stage 1, he would be out of work for ~8 months. Should we just send in the work application with the residency one? I'm afraid to trust the new rules, since they've yet to actually be roled out. Also, to verify, do we follow guide 5553 for that application? I see several very similar applications and want to double check!

What would be the outland office for your partner (what's his nationality)? Have you checked the processing time in the relevant thread? If it's really that much, I would recommend to use the inland application. Even if the inland processing time will increase for the 2015 applicants (because more people will choose this route with the new rules), it's unlikely that the processing time will reach the 33 months. But there are other pros and cons, e.g. if you choose the inland route it won't be safe for him to leave Canada in the next approx. 2 years.

There is no real unison if someone can continue to work under implied status if he had a PGW. Since it's not extendable, many people say that he should stop working once his PGW expire. The only safe way to continue to work if you can get a written verification from CIC that he is eligible to work under implied status. I know only one people who get this, so it's not a common thing.
As for the new policy, if you send your PR app in January, and include an OWP app in the package, he should get a new work permit in early May.

I think that at this point your best bet is to trust the new system, send an inland PR with the OWP application and hope for the best.

For the OWP, follow everything here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp , then put the whole package in a separate envelope inside your application for PR and send everything to Mississauga.

jsrnm

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
It doesn't state whether legal status is required right ? Should I send and OWP ? I am out of status

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
jsrnm said:
It doesn't state whether legal status is required right ? Should I send and OWP ? I am out of status
Legal status is required, so you can get your OWP only after you got your AIP.

stereognosis

Mar 21, 2013
Follow up question regarding OWP:
My wife is here currently on a study permit valid till end of October 2015. We are planning to apply inland in May 2015. If I understand correctly - in accordance with the pilot program this means that she will receive her OWP BEFORE expiry of her study permit? If for some reason this does not happen (e. g. aforementioned increase in number of inland applications) and her OWP will not be issued before November 2015 - will she have implied status?

Thank you.