+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income for parents grandparents visa

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I spoke to a representative today. She specifically mentioned that there's no status requirement and only Line 150 will be considered in previous three years. I know I am taking chances but as per the rules mentioned I feel I am good. Based on my parents age, it doesn't make sense to not utilize this opportunity. I will update this thread when I know the outcome. Thank you for your inputs on this.
You can sure take your chance. But in general foreign income is considered while sponsor lives in Canada. (e.g. income from US source after sponsor moved to Canada while also earning Canadian income.)
There is no status requirement (that's on the book) because Canadian income before sponsor became a PR also counts (e.g. as a foreign worker before getting PR)

Let us know how is the out come. We do not have a lot of feedback on cases like this. I see lots of questions on insufficient income to sponsor but not as many posts when the applicant got accepted or rejected.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I spoke to a representative today. She specifically mentioned that there's no status requirement and only Line 150 will be considered in previous three years. I know I am taking chances but as per the rules mentioned I feel I am good. Based on my parents age, it doesn't make sense to not utilize this opportunity. I will update this thread when I know the outcome. Thank you for your inputs on this.
The customer service representatives give out incorrect information multiple times a day and should unfortunately not be trusted especially for questions they don’t get frequently. If you want more reliable advice hire a good immigration lawyer and ask them.

sundeep38

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Found a piece of information, I am looking for in the guide:

There is no requirement that you (the sponsor) or your co-signer (if applicable) have been a permanent resident, Canadian citizen or Status Indian for the 3 years immediately preceding your application to sponsor in order to be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents; however, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or Status Indian living in Canada when you submit the application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html#sponsorforms

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Found a piece of information, I am looking for in the guide:

There is no requirement that you (the sponsor) or your co-signer (if applicable) have been a permanent resident, Canadian citizen or Status Indian for the 3 years immediately preceding your application to sponsor in order to be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents; however, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or Status Indian living in Canada when you submit the application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html#sponsorforms
Exactly what I mean. You don't have to be PR or citizen for 3 years before. BUT you need to show income in Canada. (general example, previously a worker or student under work or study permit and recently became PR with enough income for the LICO)

That's why the customer service will not say that you cannot sponsor your parents unless you became PR for the 3 years immediately preceding the sponsorship application. BUT there are only some situations that can fit in the scenario without being PR 3 years before.

sundeep38

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Exactly what I mean. You don't have to be PR or citizen for 3 years before. BUT you need to show income in Canada. (general example, previously a worker or student under work or study permit and recently became PR with enough income for the LICO)

That's why the customer service will not say that you cannot sponsor your parents unless you became PR for the 3 years immediately preceding the sponsorship application. BUT there are only some situations that can fit in the scenario without being PR 3 years before.
Yes, I see what you are saying. I am foreigner untill Jul, 2018 so I feel below rule come into picture since is declared in NOA.

As a rule, financial resources must originate from Canadian sources. An officer can, however, consider income received from foreign sources if it was declared by the sponsor to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and appears on their Notice of Assessment (NOA). It is important to note that income abroad may not be a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada. IRCC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada and converting foreign income into Canadian dollars can be resource-intensive. In cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html#financial

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes, I see what you are saying. I am foreigner untill Jul, 2018 so I feel below rule come into picture since is declared in NOA.

As a rule, financial resources must originate from Canadian sources. An officer can, however, consider income received from foreign sources if it was declared by the sponsor to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and appears on their Notice of Assessment (NOA). It is important to note that income abroad may not be a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada. IRCC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada and converting foreign income into Canadian dollars can be resource-intensive. In cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html#financial
So, yes, it depends on the officer. So good luck.

sundeep38

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
To update for those who are in similar situation, I received sponsorship approval and medical request. So, the foreign income is considered while living in other country if it is declared in tax returns.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To update for those who are in similar situation, I received sponsorship approval and medical request. So, the foreign income is considered while living in other country if it is declared in tax returns.
The income you earned before coming to Canada does not count. Whether the VO eventually realizes that you are counting income from when you lived in the US is a different story.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The income you earned before coming to Canada does not count. Whether the VO eventually realizes that you are counting income from when you lived in the US is a different story.
Where does it says so?

sundeep38

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
As mentioned before, I consulted couple of attorneys and they mentioned that its indeed a gray area and I have a edge since it's declared it in my tax returns already. And to be more transparent, I have also included explanation letter with the links and information provided in this thread. I don't think that the VO has ignored it.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
As mentioned before, I consulted couple of attorneys and they mentioned that its indeed a gray area and I have a edge since it's declared it in my tax returns already. And to be more transparent, I have also included explanation letter with the links and information provided in this thread. I don't think that the VO has ignored it.
I think in your case, the officer accepted it as your income. Also likely that your current income shows a trend of stable/sufficient for supporting your parents.

Reactions: sundeep38

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
International Income before moving to Canada has never been counted. If so people could just declare their international income on their tax returns while not living in Canada. If your income was substantially higher for 2019, 2020 and 2021 you may have gotten lucky and it may have bern overlooked but nothing is guaranteed until parents get COPR.