+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Important decision to take...advise needed!

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Hi all,

I posted the same topic in the June 2014 applicants thread, with no luck.

I hope posting here with more visibility, somebody can help.
I am June 2014 applicant, who has the following timeline:

- PCC certificates from home country dated March 2014
- Application submitted on June 2014
- AOR received on July 2014
- MR submitted on Feb 2015 and received by CIC same month.
- Request for RPRF payment on 28th, July 2015

unfortunately I had to leave Canada on March 2015 and I am now living in the UK with a new job. As such, currently it's not my intention to move to Canada in the very near future. Ideally I would ask to be assigned to the Canadian branch of my current company in a few years, in order to fulfill the 2 years requirement.

My understanding is that I have to land within Feb 2016 to keep my medicals valid. Is this right? What happens if I will not land in time? Must my wife land with me?

If I have to land within Feb 2016, I will most probably be able to spend just a long weekend in Canada. Is this ok with the landing process?
Other than the process to go through at the border, is there anything which I MUST absolutely do at the time of landing (e,g, SIN card etc.), or I can postpone everything else when I will permanently move to Canada?

Will the border agent make any issue if my outbound ticket will be dated only 3 days after landing?

I will be able to provide address of some friends in Canada, but most probably I will not land in the same city (e.g. I know people in Calgary, I will land in Toronto). Is this an issue?

Do I have any option to postpone the landing as far as possible or Feb is the latest date?

Sorry for all these questions but we are in the middle of understanding if it's doable to do this landing and carry on with the application, or give up the whole process and restart everything if and when we will be in a position to do so.
I couldn't see this kind of situation discussed so much in the forum as most of the people are already in Canada or are ready to land and stay. I hope answers to this topic may help somebody else as well.

Also, if you have any other advise you think is worthy to consider please share... :)

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The latest you can postpone your landing will be the date on your PR visa (once it's issued). This date will either be one year from the time you completed your medical or the expiry date of your passport - whichever comes sooner. Do not hold off landing until the last day or two. If there is a flight delay that ends up pushing your arrival date in Canada past your visa expiry date - your visa will become invalid and you won't be allowed to land and become a PR.

Apart from landing, there is really nothing you need to do immediately on landing. Yes - you can just land for a weekend and leave. If you plan to provide a friend's address for your PR card, I would recommend that you either provide a friend's address in Toronto (if that's where you plan to land and stay for the long weekend) - or alterntively have a connecting flight to Calgary and stay the long weekend there. If you land in Toronto and have no onward flight but provide the address of a friend in Calgary - they visa officer may not issue your PR card.

HarrySingh

Jan 2, 2013
1. you have to land once on or before the date that will be mentioned on your immigration visa. if you fail to comply with, you have to start all over again for PR (If you ever wanted to get PR)
2. everyone listed on your file have to land if they have to become PR in Canada, But primary applicant needs to land first. and then secondary applicants can follow.
3. You can come in Canada and leave whenever you want, but if you intend to keep the PR status you needs to comply with keeping PR rules as stated on CIC website.
4. Once you leave Canada, you cannot enter back without the PR card. so ensure you get your PR from your friends.
5. It is safe to give any address in Canada for your PR card to be posted. but landing in far away from your address is not advice able. (don't give Quebec address if you didn't applied for Quebec)
6. Border agent will not make any issues with your return ticket, but still have your explanation reasons and supporting docs. with your. you can always say you have many ting to wind-up before you can permanently move to Canada.
one of my friend did same.

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Thank you guys for the reply. Looks like I have not other chance than make this travel just for a long weekend as I am in short of days off for this year... :-[

Another crazy question: if I took another time medical examination let's say this month, will the date of the PR visa be extended?
I was thinking that in this way I have time to land until next August, this way I will plan for 7-10 days of vacation in Calgary next June. Which I would love!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if I took another time medical examination let's say this month, will the date of the PR visa be extended?
For what reason? For your convenience only? NO, you cannot. :)
Besides you have to get new med forms form CIC and in no way they will issue them to you.

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Regina said:
For what reason? For your convenience only? NO, you cannot. :)
Besides you have to get new med forms form CIC and in no way they will issue them to you.
Basically yes... :D the fact is that I started a job few months back and my wife is starting next week. This makes difficult for us to have vacation days to take this year.

hkcec

Star Member
Jul 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
AOR Received.
15-07-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
(Decision Made) 30-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
(CoPR) 04-11-2015
LANDED..........
04-2016
cecapp14 said:
Basically yes... :D the fact is that I started a job few months back and my wife is starting next week. This makes difficult for us to have vacation days to take this year.
June applicant here, also now in UK.
I think you can talk to your company to get holidays (let's use british english here, lol) in advance, if eventually they are going to send you to the Canadian branch, I think they will do you a favour. If this doesn't work, we got at least 20 days + bank holidays per year, you should have worked enough days to get a week or two off in Feb 2016.

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
I am newly hired, so kind of shy to ask for advanced holidays...even more is my wife who will start her job only next week.
As the things are going and from the previous posts, I am planning to fly to Calgary either end of November or January. Leaving on a Friday and coming back on a Monday :'(

Not sure if all of this is worthy, but I don't feel like giving up all this stuff. I love Canada, more than I love here! :)
What's your plan?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cecapp14 said:
I am newly hired, so kind of shy to ask for advanced holidays...even more is my wife who will start her job only next week.
As the things are going and from the previous posts, I am planning to fly to Calgary either end of November or January. Leaving on a Friday and coming back on a Monday :'(
Maybe this is implied, but you realize your wife also has to "land," right?

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
jes_ON said:
Maybe this is implied, but you realize your wife also has to "land," right?
yes, this is why we are even more concerned about taking days off as she still is in her probation period