+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Fraud, Marriage of Convenience, Marriage Fraud and Marriage Scam.

kellychafik

Jun 8, 2007
Good for you Dancing feather. I fully agree with you 100%. I am the victim of marriage scam and I so wish that there was more information about this before I married. These people that are saying bad stuff about you they dont know you. Your allowed to give advice just like they give advice. Maybe they get so defensive because deep down inside they know it could happend to them. I felt the same way when I was reading the bad comments that people were posting about moroccan men. If they would only realize that we are saying this stuff to help them and not to hurt them. I would not want anyone to go through what I just did and continue to do. Thank God that immigration is actually working with me and helping me to get my husband deported. Only because I have so much evidence. I wish everyone good luck and good health on this board and anything I post is just to give you an insight of what could happen.

Take Care

sarita

Apr 29, 2008
Ok so I just had my immigrant husband disappear on me. He stayed 9 months with me and left when I wasn't home. No warning, nothing. I know where he is though and he has called me. Question is, I think I can prove this was a marriage of convenience to him, he never said we had any problems, said he was happy, never asked me to fix anything between us, i have proof he kept a girlfriend back home all this time, and I have all his emails about the plans to leave. So if I can prove that MOC was his intent, will that help me get him deported?

I am trying to keep it together but wow is it tough.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Immigration Fraud, Marriage of Convenience, Marriage Fraud and Marriage Scam

Hi

sarita said:
Ok so I just had my immigrant husband disappear on me. He stayed 9 months with me and left when I wasn't home. No warning, nothing. I know where he is though and he has called me. Question is, I think I can prove this was a marriage of convenience to him, he never said we had any problems, said he was happy, never asked me to fix anything between us, i have proof he kept a girlfriend back home all this time, and I have all his emails about the plans to leave. So if I can prove that MOC was his intent, will that help me get him deported?

I am trying to keep it together but wow is it tough.
Nope, and now you are still responsible for him for the next 27 months.

PMM

LCS

May 5, 2005
The immigration system SHOULD go one step farther when the sponsor has been duped and the person immigrating had obtained a MOC Another case of the legal system letting down the victim. If the sponsor has the evidence that the person immigrating has lied and withheld facts and information (ie. maintaining a romantic partner in the coutry of origin), they've basically lied on their part of the application. They should have their PR status revoked and deported. But then again we can't even get the system to deport criminals that are landed immigrants.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Immigration Fraud, Marriage of Convenience, Marriage Fraud and Marriage Scam

Hi

LCS said:
The immigration system SHOULD go one step farther when the sponsor has been duped and the person immigrating had obtained a MOC Another case of the legal system letting down the victim. If the sponsor has the evidence that the person immigrating has lied and withheld facts and information (ie. maintaining a romantic partner in the coutry of origin), they've basically lied on their part of the application. They should have their PR status revoked and deported. But then again we can't even get the system to deport criminals that are landed immigrants.
Remember CIC/CHC is not your mother, if you enter into a romantic relationship with someone, although love is blind, don't you think that you should at least know something about the person you are marrying and supposedily spending the rest of your life with?

PMM

LCS

May 5, 2005
My concern is not so much that the sponsor is, unfortunately, responsible. Of course, the sponsor entered into the relationship on their own. But if the sponsor is the key to showing evidence that the con artist did marry for convenience, left that person quickly and was therefore completely DISHONEST AND LIED on their PR application therefore a total misrepresentation of their information to the Federal immigration system, I would LIKE to think our Government has some concern and reluctance to let a dishonest, lying, cheating, scam artist have the damn "PRIVILEDGE" of staying in this country to lie and cheat and con and scam their way through life because they're allowed to stay here. It goes beyond the sponsor, it will affect more people after the sponsor's time of obligation is long since finished. Then that person is amongst us preying on their next unaware target because there is no avenue of tossing these people out of here.

scammed101

May 22, 2008
Hi, I married a lady from Eastern Europe . She came to Canada,on a TRV,back in July /2007. After a WHOLE 41 days of living together, she moved out while I was at work. Many people from her community,Ukrainian, are helping her with legal fees etc. When she arrived, she was 100% a different person. I have been scammed, big time. I have proof that she was working,in a hotel as a chambermaid. Yet Immigration still granted her a small extension...Canada makes Immigration Laws to cater to Immigrants and NOT Canadians. In Belgium,they have a Gold Diggers Law that eliminates these scammers IMMEDIATELY and returns them to their own country.Now she has a lawyer and they are trying to get spousal support and half of my assets.. Immigration does not like dealing with me , as I have been on their case almost daily and will not let a group of liers,cheaters and scammers try to take over OUR Country and try to get her to stay here ... I need help, as I am fighting this almost alone..... Scammed101

LCS

May 5, 2005
I think a Gold Digger's Law in Canada is a GREAT idea. Over the years our Goverment has been letting hundreds of thousands of people into this country, following in the steps of England and paying the consequences as they have done with their immigrant problems. There is no defined law for those who have cheated and lied their way into this country either via a relationship scam or faking their refugee statuses, credentials, or any other paperwork that somehow let them slip through the cracks. We should also follow Belgium's example, there should be an avenue for immediate removal of these people and not just for Gold Digger's. Laws that protect Canadian citizens, original or naturalized, not landed immigrants.

LCS

May 5, 2005
Some new info. I was reading on another site

"The Vancouver-based Canadian Marriage Fraud Victim Society (CMFVS), comprised of victims of marriage scams, has been putting pressure on Ottawa to develop a plan that will deter foreign spouses from using Canadians to obtain residency."

Might be some changes in the future.

Aug 17, 2008
Marriages of convenience are not allowed under Canada's immigration law! Or are they?

I have sponsored my wife to immigrate to Canada and soon after she landed, she abandoned me.

Before sponsoring my wife, I visited the CIC website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/facts/marriage.asp

"Marriages of conv[en]ience are not allowed under Canada's immigration law. It is illegal to be married simply to immigrate to Canada. Spousal sponsorship is a serious legal commitment." "If a person enters into a marriage of convenience and comes to Canada as an immigrant, enforcement action can be taken. This enforcement action could result in deportation, and is the responsibility of the Canada Border Services Agency."

After sponsoring my wife, and after my wife abandoned me, I contacted Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and I have been told by the representative on the phone that "We are sorry that she has used you to come to Canada; there is nothing that can be done as she has already landed in Canada; she is recognized as a legal immigrant and you have to support her for three years although you might have been abused." What does this mean? Has the government of Canada deceived me? Why is the marriage of convenience "illegal" before the sponsored persons land in Canada and "legal" after they land in Canada? When the sponsorship principle is based on the truthfulness of the relationship between the wife and the husband, why the sponsorship is not void although the relationship has not been genuine?

I am writing to express my deepest concern that there is no marriage commitment in Canada, marriage fraud is legal in Canada, and the Canadian system is victimizing the citizen sponsors by supporting marriages of Convenience with sole purpose of immigrating to Canada. My family and I are victims of the Canadian System that is not enforcing Canadian Immigration Law. I have been told by the RCMP that: my wife is an adult; she is free to decide; there is no such thing as a marriage commitment; there is no support for the sponsor; there are various supports for the sponsored; the sponsor should carry the burden of marriage fraud. Canadian system deceives the sponsor by providing an opportunity to the fraudulent sponsored people to enter Canada and then victimizing the Canadian citizens by supporting those criminals with tax payers' income.

Other countries, namely the United States, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Germany and many others grant periods of conditional establishment to spouses of their nationals. The sponsorship agreement should be void and the sponsored person's visa should be void if there are sufficient evidences proving that the relationship has not been genuine and the sponsored person has married the sponsor only to immigrate to the sponsor's country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I am sorry that happened to you. I know that in the US, they get a 2 year temporary green card but if they really want it that bad, I am sure they would not hesitate to play wife for another 2 years to get the permanent one.

Maybe you should be able to cancel your sponsorship but on the other side, it can be the other way around too where the husband is abusive and threatens the wife by cancelling sponsorship. There was a woman on here who that happened to. She eventually left him, he threatened to cancel her PR card and she came here to ask if he could because she did not know. So no system is really perfect.

How can we prevent people from committing marriage fraud but still protect the victims of abuse?

Aug 17, 2008
Thanks Leon for your thoughtful reply.

Victims of abuse are different than victims of marriage fraud:

If a person feels that she is being abused by being in a new country and the new life, he/she is more than welcome to go back home where the life was not abusive; or the government can take over the sponsorship if he/she is a qualified candidate for permanent residency. Unfortunately, you may find that in many of those cases, the sponsored person, claiming of being abused, is persistent in getting permanent residency in the new country. In some countries like the US as you mentioned, there is a temporary residency period. However, in Canada, the free services that the Canadian government provides to the sponsored and the poor enforcement of the Canadian law by the Canadian government, make it so attractive to the sponsored people to fraud. As soon as the sponsored person arrives in Canada, if over 18 years of age, he/she is considered an adult and he/she is not abide by any agreement including the sacred marriage agreement and the sponsorship agreement. Why? It is because our laws are this way. Whether the sponsor has been abused, the sponsor and the rest of the Canadian tax payers should carry the burden of the sponsored. We all Canadians should ask the government to change the law and we can make it happen if we understand how our laws are misused, if we understand on what our taxes are spent, and most importantly if we care!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

In the case of a woman having married a man she thought she loved, waited for immigration to go through, come to Canada possibly with a child or two from a prior relationship, maybe lived here for a couple of years trying to make it work with the abusive husband, she's got a job already, her kids settled in school here, you would say to her, I know you were defrauded, I know you completely upset your and your childrens lifes to come here and ended up getting abused but since it didn't work out, you can go home now, thank you very much? I don't think that's very fair either. And the man can turn around and do it to another woman.

If there was a law that she had to stay with you for 2 years to get the PR, would you have preferred that if she would have? Do you think you would have been less heart broken if you had what you thought was a good marriage for 2 years and then as soon as she gets the permanent green card, she leaves? It's just something that is very hard for the law to deal with.

rascojenkins

Jul 25, 2008

I'm so sorry that some people are victims of such.However l think the best thing to do is not to try to deport them or wish them hell.Try to look at it from the positive side you just made someone's life better.If they truely played you the Law of nature will catch up with them.If they truely feel in love with you and it just did not work out God bless u both besides you'll not want anything bad to happen to someone u truely love. It always very good to trust your instinct

Aug 17, 2008
Rascojenkins:

You will find your answer here:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-class-sponsorship/marriage-fraud-is-not-allowed-under-canadas-immigration-law-or-is-it-t10174.0.html