+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Fraud, Marriage of Convenience, Marriage Fraud and Marriage Scam.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Marg_01 said:
I am concerned at this point what my responsibility would be should he decide to apply for Welfare? I am no longer responsible for my ex but in regard to his son as the sponsorship was for 10 years, does anyone know how this works in regards to paying back money to the government for social assistance as I am no longer responsible for his father? Is my sponsorship over for his son because they both have received Canadian Citizenship now?
Hi

You are on the hook for any welfare your ex-stepson claims in during the 10 year undertaking. The fact that he is a Canadian citizen and the fact that you are no longer responsible for his father doesn't change that.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Marg_01 said:
Hi,

I am unsure if this is where I should post my concern or question? So please advise if I am not in the right section. I sponsored my ex spouse and his son back in 2012 and we have been seperated since the end of 2013. Since the both my ex husband and his son have recently become Canadian citizens and I still hold a close relationship to my ex husbands son. Recently he has lost his job and is currently looking for new work. I am doing what I can to help my stepson, like I always have, but I have a question now concerning my sponsorship role to my step son. They have become Canadian citizens and my sponsorship for my ex husband completed after three years, however, my sponsorship for the child was for 10. I am concerned at this point what my responsibility would be should he decide to apply for Welfare? I am no longer responsible for my ex but in regard to his son as the sponsorship was for 10 years, does anyone know how this works in regards to paying back money to the government for social assistance as I am no longer responsible for his father? Is my sponsorship over for his son because they both have received Canadian Citizenship now?
Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Your sponsorship obligation to his son is 10 years or until he reaches the age of 25 whichever happens first. That did not change when he became a citizen so you are still on the hook for his support. If the father goes on welfare with both of them, you are responsible for the welfare payments he gets for his son but not for what he gets for himself.

Marg_01

Jan 24, 2017
Great Thanks for some information guys! Wondering at this time if anyone has gone through the same circumstance? Wondering how they calculate the amounts for just his son and not money for him as my ex husband? I also wanted to know if there is anything I can do to avoid it? Is there something that can be done for me to provide for my stepson and him to obtain welfare for himself, I guess. I am
Positive that I am not responsible for his social assistance received but how do they seperate what's his and what's for his son?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marg_01

Jan 24, 2017
If I am offering to supply that for my stepson, how do I go about providing this information to the government?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Marg_01 said:
Great Thanks for some information guys! Wondering at this time if anyone has gone through the same circumstance? Wondering how they calculate the amounts for just his son and not money for him as my ex husband? I also wanted to know if there is anything I can do to avoid it? Is there something that can be done for me to provide for my stepson and him to obtain welfare for himself, I guess. I am
Positive that I am not responsible for his social assistance received but how do they seperate what's his and what's for his son?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
X = the amount of money your husband would get if he was alone.

Y = the additional amount of money he gets for his son.

Z = X + Y is the total amount the both of them would get together.

You would be liable to pay amount Y. In order to find out how much that is, you need to find out how much an individual without children would get from welfare (X) and how much an individual with child would get (Z). Once you know the two, you can find out how much is Y by subtracting X from Z.

You could also look for other means to help them stay off welfare such as offer them to stay at your house if you have the space, try to pull strings with people you know to help your ex find a job, help him with his CV etc.

Marg_01

Jan 24, 2017
Ok, thanks for the information! I have already been discussing with my ex regarding other work and what he should be doing now to find work and move forward. Offering him to stay with me, not an option we are now divorced and he is remarried. He work situation is if he can not find a job to work day hours he cannot work as he has is son. He wife is not here yet and he is waiting to start sponsoring her. I have offerent to take his son when he works and have offered for his son to stay with us if he works a night job etc. This is something he is not interested in doing. So all I can do is offer, if he chooses not to accept I guess it waiting to recieve a bill from the government for payback of social assistance. I would have though though is he apply as his sons sponsor I would be notified and I could offer to pay his sons portion but many say I will not be. My ex will not stay if he is applying for assistance or what his plan is. It's so frustrating as taking care of my stepson is what I do and have done since.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Marg_01 said:
Ok, thanks for the information! I have already been discussing with my ex regarding other work and what he should be doing now to find work and move forward. Offering him to stay with me, not an option we are now divorced and he is remarried. He work situation is if he can not find a job to work day hours he cannot work as he has is son. He wife is not here yet and he is waiting to start sponsoring her. I have offerent to take his son when he works and have offered for his son to stay with us if he works a night job etc. This is something he is not interested in doing. So all I can do is offer, if he chooses not to accept I guess it waiting to recieve a bill from the government for payback of social assistance. I would have though though is he apply as his sons sponsor I would be notified and I could offer to pay his sons portion but many say I will not be. My ex will not stay if he is applying for assistance or what his plan is. It's so frustrating as taking care of my stepson is what I do and have done since.
You should let him know that as long as he is on welfare - it will be impossible for him to sponsor his new wife. He needs to be off welfare from the time he begins sponsoring his wife to the time she is approved. He will also need to remain off welfare for three years after sponsoring his wife - or he will have to pay this money back to the government. So he needs to sort out the job situation if he wants his life to work out.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You should let him know that as long as he is on welfare - it will be impossible for him to sponsor his new wife. He needs to be off welfare from the time he begins sponsoring his wife to the time she is approved. He will also need to remain off welfare for three years after sponsoring his wife - or he will have to pay this money back to the government. So he needs to sort out the job situation if he wants his life to work out.
Agreed. If he wants to sponsor his new wife, he needs to stay off welfare.

simontyler019

Apr 1, 2019
Your friend needs to find an immigration lawyer for the fake green card case. They may not know at the moment, but they will find out. If he consults with a lawyer before then, he may be able to guide him towards the best resolution.

He also needs to find a criminal defense lawyer. Many lawyers will provide an initial consultaion for little or no fee.