+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Dilemma: Work, PR, and a Job Offer in Canada! PLEASE HELP

abhinavjain

Aug 30, 2023
I am currently facing a complex situation and would greatly appreciate some guidance. Here's a breakdown of my circumstances:

1. I arrived in Canada as an international student in January and have successfully completed a One-Year Program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  2. I have submitted an application for another program intake scheduled for the next academic year, and I am currently awaiting the Letter of Acceptance (LOA) for this program. Until I receive the LOA, I am aware that I am not eligible to work.
  3. At present, I have received a job offer in the IT - Web Developer field in Ontario, within the same province where I completed my One-Year Program. However, it's important to note that if I apply for a Work Permit in order to accept this job offer, I will receive a one-year Work Permit.
  4. My projected Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score for Express Entry for Permanent Residency (PR) next year, after gaining one year of work experience (1 YOE), is estimated to be around 506 points, which appears to be sufficient for PR eligibility.
  5. However, a potential issue arises because my Work Permit will expire shortly after acquiring 1 YOE. This would render me ineligible to continue working with the same employer, as I won't have legal status in Canada, making the job offer seemingly irrelevant.
Given this situation, I am seeking advice on whether there is a viable way for me to remain in Canada and continue working with the employer while pursuing PR.

Additionally, I have a question related to the timeline. Suppose I receive the Letter of Acceptance (LOA) by the end of this month. In such a scenario, am I allowed to begin working with the employer immediately and subsequently apply for a Work Permit after a 90-day waiting period following the completion of my program? Would this sequence of events be considered legal under Canadian immigration regulations?

I appreciate any assistance and insights on these matters. Thank you.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
I am currently facing a complex situation and would greatly appreciate some guidance. Here's a breakdown of my circumstances:

1. I arrived in Canada as an international student in January and have successfully completed a One-Year Program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  2. I have submitted an application for another program intake scheduled for the next academic year, and I am currently awaiting the Letter of Acceptance (LOA) for this program. Until I receive the LOA, I am aware that I am not eligible to work.
  3. At present, I have received a job offer in the IT - Web Developer field in Ontario, within the same province where I completed my One-Year Program. However, it's important to note that if I apply for a Work Permit in order to accept this job offer, I will receive a one-year Work Permit.
  4. My projected Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score for Express Entry for Permanent Residency (PR) next year, after gaining one year of work experience (1 YOE), is estimated to be around 506 points, which appears to be sufficient for PR eligibility. Why do you think this is insufficient ?
  5. However, a potential issue arises because my Work Permit will expire shortly after acquiring 1 YOE. This would render me ineligible to continue working with the same employer, as I won't have legal status in Canada, making the job offer seemingly irrelevant. If you have ITA by then, apply BOWP and continue working on the same conditions
Given this situation, I am seeking advice on whether there is a viable way for me to remain in Canada and continue working with the employer while pursuing PR.

Additionally, I have a question related to the timeline. Suppose I receive the Letter of Acceptance (LOA) by the end of this month. In such a scenario, am I allowed to begin working with the employer immediately and subsequently apply for a Work Permit after a 90-day waiting period following the completion of my program? Would this sequence of events be considered legal under Canadian immigration regulations? Yes and Yes

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

4. My projected Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score for Express Entry for Permanent Residency (PR) next year, after gaining one year of work experience (1 YOE), is estimated to be around 506 points, which appears to be sufficient for PR eligibility.
  5. However, a potential issue arises because my Work Permit will expire shortly after acquiring 1 YOE. This would render me ineligible to continue working with the same employer, as I won't have legal status in Canada, making the job offer seemingly irrelevant.

Additionally, I have a question related to the timeline. Suppose I receive the Letter of Acceptance (LOA) by the end of this month. In such a scenario, am I allowed to begin working with the employer immediately and subsequently apply for a Work Permit after a 90-day waiting period following the completion of my program? Would this sequence of events be considered legal under Canadian immigration regulations?

When calculating the 506 points, have you included 50 points for having a job offer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to drop those points unless you know for sure your employer is willing and able to get an approved LMIA. Your actual points are 456 as of now.

abhinavjain

Aug 30, 2023

Thanks for your reply, I think I have sufficient points.

Also, could you please explain briefly, what you mean by 'If you have ITA by then, apply BOWP and continue working on the same conditions ' Sorry I am new to all this immigration terms.

Also, does that mean
I can start working right now if I decide to apply for the Work Permit on the 90th day after getting my completion letter?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply, I think I have sufficient points.

Also, could you please explain briefly, what you mean by 'If you have ITA by then, apply BOWP and continue working on the same conditions ' Sorry I am new to all this immigration terms.

Also, does that mean
I can start working right now if I decide to apply for the Work Permit on the 90th day after getting my completion letter?

Thanks
You cannot start working until you submit your PGWP application.

abhinavjain

Aug 30, 2023
You need to drop those points unless you know for sure your employer is willing and able to get an approved LMIA. Your actual points are 456 as of now.

Thanks for your reply, but I think the LMIA is exempted if I have worked with the same employer for one year? So If I start working with the employer today and apply for PR next year, I won't need LMIA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply, but I think the LMIA is exempted if I have worked with the same employer for one year? So If I start working with the employer today and apply for PR next year, I won't need LMIA?
No, it doesn't work that way. For this rule to apply, you would need to be on a closed work permit with your employer named on the work permit. You will be on an open work permit. Your employer must get an approved LMIA if you want the 50 points.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

abhinavjain

Aug 30, 2023
No, it doesn't work that way. For this rule to apply, you would need to be on a closed work permit with your employer named on the work permit. You will be on an open work permit. Your employer must get an approved LMIA if you want the 50 points.

Thank you so much helping with all your amazing knowledge. Really appreciate it. Another thing which I came across was OINP tech program which provides 600 points and my occupation (Web Developer) is in there, is there any way I can take benefit of that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much helping with all your amazing knowledge. Really appreciate it. Another thing which I came across was OINP tech program which provides 600 points and my occupation (Web Developer) is in there, is there any way I can take benefit of that?
It's possible that could be an option for you. The immediate issue I see is that your score is on the lower side and the draws for this program have been in a higher range. So based on that, I would not count on this program being a realistic option.

Ultimately a one year PGWP is pretty risky if your objective is PR.

Your choice what you do of course.