+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating as Self-Employed: Please help!

megcore

Jan 8, 2017
Hello, all!

Apologies if this topic or a similar one already exists; this is my very first post ever. I have some questions concerning immigrating to Canada as a self-employed worker. Here is a rundown of my info:

- 24 years old
- never married
- no children
- fluent in English (first language)
- have a Bachelor of Arts degree from The Ohio State University in Chinese with a minor in Spanish received in May of 2015
- no criminal record
- no major health problems
- American citizen by birth

My question is more so work-related. Starting in May of 2013 (when I was still in school) up until now I've had a handful of food service industry jobs, the longest one lasting a little over two years, and my current main job is as a county recorder (essentially a data entry clerk). I bartend on the side as well. I have worked part-time at all of these jobs. I have not used my degree yet really in pursuit of a career, although I am still interested in freelance translating and/or interpreting someday.

According to the NOC, none of the jobs that I have or have had qualify as 0, A, or B level, let alone do not fit the full-time criterion needed for EE. However if I'm correct having the same part-time job for two years satisfies this requirement, since it is equivalent to one year of full-time work.

However, I am also a singer/songwriter/producer, and I noticed that the singer occupation falls under the NOC A level. I have been active in my artistic pursuits since July of 2015, meaning that this year will mark the two year period of pursuing cultural activities as a self-employed worker. It is not a full-time thing yet, though (meaning I don't do it at least 30 hours a week) and it is not my main source of income (my data entry and bartending jobs are). Would this disqualify me from applying for Canadian immigration as a self-employed worker, even if I had accrued the funds needed to immigrate from my other jobs? I have proof (e.g. online music, showbills with my name on it) that I've been pursuing an artistic career for the past year and a half. I just don't know if I could use that for EE. Can I even apply for EE as a self-employed worker/artist?

Furthermore, I don't plan on moving to Canada until 2018. I have to save the ~$12,000 or so (shooting for far more) and am going to attempt, perhaps quixotically, to teach myself French as best as I can. I would like to have as many eggs in my basket as I can when it comes to applying for immigration.

As far as working in Canada, I would plan to continue my artistic career, but foresee myself needing another steadier source of income separate from that until my music blossomed into my main career (big 'if' there). Would it need to be music-related since that is the occupation with which I applied? Could I put my multilingual skills to use in looking for a job at that point? Would it be better to look for work prior to moving there? (I'm guessing the answer is Yes)

And I suppose my biggest question is, where do I start given all this information?? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer all of my questions. ;D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you have been looking at the Self Employment Immigration stream - stop. That's not going to work out. To qualified as an artist through the self employed stream, you need to be someone who is recognized in your field (i.e. international profile and achievements, awards, etc.). You also need to making a living off of your artistic career - it needs to be established enough that it's your source of income. Based on the information you've provided, this is something you've just started your career - you're not at the level you need to be to be accepted as an immigrant through this stream. Additionally, this stream has very long processing times (count on 6+ years).

I would look at other immigration streams if you're interested in making a move to Canada.

megcore

Jan 8, 2017
Thank you for responding; that is helpful information. What other streams would you recommend based on the information I've provided?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
megcore said:
Thank you for responding; that is helpful information. What other streams would you recommend based on the information I've provided?
To be honest I don't think you qualify under anything.

You would need to go back to school for some specific skilled trade that Canada is looking for, gain some experience in that field, and then try applying.

megcore

Jan 8, 2017
Ah, that's too bad. What if, say hypothetically, I received a job offer in Canada in spite of my circumstances (I understand it's a long shot)? Would that help at all?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It could help - but you need more than a job offer.

You'd need an approved LMIA from your employer as well (in addition to the job offer).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
megcore said:
Ah, that's too bad. What if, say hypothetically, I received a job offer in Canada in spite of my circumstances (I understand it's a long shot)? Would that help at all?
As mentioned, employer would need to go through LMIA process to hire you which means they need to advertise the job and prove that no Canadian could be hired for the role instead. Since this is an expensive and time consuming task with no guarantee of being approved, an employer would only go through this if you have some unique skills an employer really wants.

Also even if somehow LMIA process was approved, if job is not on skilled work list then it still wouldn't really help to eventually get PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sharedknowledge said:
I think you can move to Canada as a foreign worker under NAFTA agreement.
Only if the OP get a full time job offer in Canada and that job offer is for an occupation that falls under NAFTA. OP's current main occupation doens't fall under NAFTA. So an LMIA would still be required.