+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM1344 - Question 8 - Current Martial Status.

P Min

Mar 22, 2024
My partner has been separated (not divorce) with his ex since 2018. We have a Statutory Declaration (Notarized) ready.

My partner and I have a imm5409 - Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (Notarized) ready as well.

Just wondering IMM1344 - Question 8 - Current Martial Status for my partner is common-law with me or separated with his ex?

Thank you so much!

Joey-Jo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2024
I would hazard a guess and say that if your partner is still LEGALLY married (regardless of whether they are separated), then they would have to declare that. You could also upload a separate document explaining your situation, but that particular form IMM1344 only asks your current status, there are no boxes where you can explain further. Can't you get advice from a marriage lawyer?

P Min

Mar 22, 2024
I would hazard a guess and say that if your partner is still LEGALLY married (regardless of whether they are separated), then they would have to declare that. You could also upload a separate document explaining your situation, but that particular form IMM1344 only asks your current status, there are no boxes where you can explain further. Can't you get advice from a marriage lawyer?
Thank you for you answers.
  • Yes, we have a Statutory Declaration (Notarized) ready for their separation and explain it with 3 exhibits of text message conversation.
  • We also have a imm5409 - Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (Notarized) ready (for me and my partner).
I think...
  • Question 8 is referring to CURRENT marital status for this application, he will put common-law with me
  • Question 9 is his will list his separated spouse and then to explain in an LOE and upload the Statutory Declaration (Notarized) for their separation.

Joey-Jo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2024
Yes I think just state everything, even if it's in a separate document (best to have any additional explanatory documents signed by both of you), provide all the other statutory declaration documents you mentioned above and then just wait to see what they come back with. If there's an issue they'd no doubt raise it with you. At least you're being transparent with them! :)

P Min

Mar 22, 2024
Yes I think just state everything, even if it's in a separate document (best to have any additional explanatory documents signed by both of you), provide all the other statutory declaration documents you mentioned above and then just wait to see what they come back with. If there's an issue they'd no doubt raise it with you. At least you're being transparent with them! :)
Yes! We each have a letter of explanation (one for me and one for my partner) and we have both already signed our respective letters.

We were ready to submit the application. We were checking again yesterday and IMM1344 Question 8 raised our attention.

Thank you so much!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think...
  • Question 8 is referring to CURRENT marital status for this application, he will put common-law with me
  • Question 9 is his will list his separated spouse and then to explain in an LOE and upload the Statutory Declaration (Notarized) for their separation.
Yes, since question 9 is about previous relationships, this is the correct approach.

Still would be better if he were to at least start divorce proceedings or explain why it's not possible/not done. There is some sensitivity, I understand, to this, including for reasons about multiple marriages.

P Min

Mar 22, 2024
Yes, since question 9 is about previous relationships, this is the correct approach.

Still would be better if he were to at least start divorce proceedings or explain why it's not possible/not done. There is some sensitivity, I understand, to this, including for reasons about multiple marriages.
Thank you! Appreciate your comments.