+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm losing my mind, the flag pole didn't work, I might have to leave

Happynut

Sep 7, 2021
Hey everyone, so basically I lost my maintained status two months ago and my open work permit application was refused (because it was a permit that I couldn't renew but I didn't know it at the time).
I applied for the IEC young professional and got accepted. I did a flag pole but the agent told me that they cannot deliver me the IEC permit because I should've leave the country, and that the flag pole doesn't count as leaving Canada.
He also told me that I should apply to restore my status even though it will be refused for sure as I cannot extend my former permit.
Problem is that the website is telling me that I cannot restore it based on my answers.
I took a plane ticket to go back to my country and if I survive (Haiti), I'll go back to Canada and try to get the IEC permit at the border.
I'm just scared that the agent at the airport will refuse my IEC because I stayed 2 months after losing my maintained status even though there's supposed to be a 3 months window to re-apply.
I've been studying and working in Canada entirely legally for the past 10 years, payed a ton of taxes and they want to kick me out so easily, it's so frustrating.....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone, so basically I lost my maintained status two months ago and my open work permit application was refused (because it was a permit that I couldn't renew but I didn't know it at the time).
I applied for the IEC young professional and got accepted. I did a flag pole but the agent told me that they cannot deliver me the IEC permit because I should've leave the country, and that the flag pole doesn't count as leaving Canada.
He also told me that I should apply to restore my status even though it will be refused for sure as I cannot extend my former permit.
Problem is that the website is telling me that I cannot restore it based on my answers.
I took a plane ticket to go back to my country and if I survive (Haiti), I'll go back to Canada and try to get the IEC permit at the border.
I'm just scared that the agent at the airport will refuse my IEC because I stayed 2 months after losing my maintained status even though there's supposed to be a 3 months window to re-apply.
I've been studying and working in Canada entirely legally for the past 10 years, payed a ton of taxes and they want to kick me out so easily, it's so frustrating.....
You cannot flagpole while out of status. So your work permit was correctly refused at the border when you tried to flagpole.

Your options are to either restore your status as long as you are within 90 days from when you lost status. However it can take a while for restoration to be processed. (I don't know why the website is telling you that you cannot restore your status based on the limited information you have provided.)

The alternative is to leave Canada and then return by flight (as you've said).

I cannot predict what CBSA will do at the border. However if you have an approved IEC and meet the other critiera (have taken private health care coverage, have the required funds), then you should be approved.

Happynut

Sep 7, 2021
You cannot flagpole while out of status. So your work permit was correctly refused at the border when you tried to flagpole.

Your options are to either restore your status as long as you are within 90 days from when you lost status. However it can take a while for restoration to be processed. (I don't know why the website is telling you that you cannot restore your status based on the limited information you have provided.)

The alternative is to leave Canada and then return by flight (as you've said).

I cannot predict what CBSA will do at the border. However if you have an approved IEC and meet the other critiera (have taken private health care coverage, have the required funds), then you should be approved.
Thank you for replying, the website is the actual IRCC website

Edit: I read what instead of why
Also yeah, I don't know either...

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just clarifying that you’re a Haitian citizen and have no other citizenships. I don’t believe Haitians qualify for IEC. Did you apply for IEC on your own or through someone else? How old are you? What permit were you on before you applied for IEC and when did that permit expire?