+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

i'm a refugee claimanant and being sponsored by my wife.

rich_m0nd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2009
i'm wondering if there will be some problem with my application for spouse sponsorship. i'm thinking of dropping my refugee claim and just wait for my sponsorship be granted. our relationship is genuine. though we have some fights and sometimes break up everything is genuine. please help me know things regarding this cause it's stressing me out. also i wanted to go to my home country to write an exam so i can be a registered nurse here in canada but i can't do it cause i don't have my passport. it's good for me to get that exam for my career and i wanna know where i stand with this application. thanks for you help

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008
I am no expert here so I hope someone else with more experience will answer but I can only tell you what happened with me and my husband. when my husband and I married, he too was a refugee claimant, that claim was denied but we never bothered to worry about it because we figured that my sponsorship of him would allow him to stay here anyway (it did. However, while he had a work permit when he was a refugee claimant, once that claim was denied, he lost his work permit and he was not allowed to work because my sponsorship of him had not even been looked at. So just be aware, if you withdraw your refugee claim, you may lose your work permit and then hang in limbo waiting for you PR applicaiton to be approved in principal. During that time, you cannot leave. If you leave, you run the risk of not being allowed back in and besides your PR applicaiton may be dropped too. Then you will have to do the claim all over from overseas.
I am guessing you were a refugee claimant when you got married. Truthfully my guess is that that will look "funny" to CIC. It's going to look like you were trying whatever way you could to stay in the country and that will no doubt delay your approval. In some ways, you might be better off to go back home, finish your studies, and have your wife apply for you from overseas. It actually might be faster. No matter what you do: keep all documentation showing your relationship is genuine (phone records, joint back accounts, joint insurance etc).
Good luck

rich_m0nd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2009
thanks chocolover. i just applied for refugee claim last april. got my work permit in july. i've been thinking of just going home. i'm already done with schooling. i'm a nurse. i just need to do an exam which is one day then i get to be eligible for nursing in canada. i know it will look funny and that's what my concern is. i just wanna know my odds cause if not i'll go home and do my exam. i don't mind that. i just hope my wife is really supportive. problem is she doesn't care.

Spanxx

Jan 28, 2010
rich_m0nd said:
thanks chocolover. i just applied for refugee claim last april. got my work permit in july. i've been thinking of just going home. i'm already done with schooling. i'm a nurse. i just need to do an exam which is one day then i get to be eligible for nursing in canada. i know it will look funny and that's what my concern is. i just wanna know my odds cause if not i'll go home and do my exam. i don't mind that. i just hope my wife is really supportive. problem is she doesn't care.
Hi there...I am not sure how that is going to work after you have already filed a refugee claim.
If you don't mind me asking....did you not file or claim refuge in Canada against your own country? I remember well, that is what refugee means. That you are scared and your life is in danger if you return to your country. How then will you claim refugee in Canada, and they have your passport and yet you would like to go back home (which you hd claimed refugee against) to write an exam.

In other words, they will say that your are lying and ur claim is not genuine enough and this might lead to deportation. Unless I am wrong here, be very careful with how you deal with this immigration cases.

All the best!

Chavah

Mar 15, 2013
Refugee Claimant getting PR Through Convenience Wife!

Hi Spanxx,
I have a question, Can a refugee claimant get the PR through Family class sponsorship? This guy I know, got married to a former refugee claimant, ( she was approved). Now, they got married right before she applied for PR, (since she was granted), so she included him in her PR Application, even though he was only a refugee claimant at the time. His refugee claimant was denied last month and now he's appealing the decision! Off course, this WAS a marriage of convenience. What are his chances of getting the PR??? He thinks he is going to get it soon! How is that possible?

I just want to mention to you that My husband of 10 years is sponsoring me and my son and it's been over 16 months that we applied (outside CA). We have 3 kids that are already Canadian citizens but my 1 son was born outside Canada so he wasn't granted Citizenship at birth because :eek: of 2nd generation born outside Canada But we've been living here for few years.

Anyway, I just want you to understand where i'm coming from. It gets me upset how this system works. I hope you can answer my question.

Thank you! ???

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Spanxx said:
Hi there...I am not sure how that is going to work after you have already filed a refugee claim.
If you don't mind me asking....did you not file or claim refuge in Canada against your own country? I remember well, that is what refugee means. That you are scared and your life is in danger if you return to your country. How then will you claim refugee in Canada, and they have your passport and yet you would like to go back home (which you hd claimed refugee against) to write an exam.

In other words, they will say that your are lying and ur claim is not genuine enough and this might lead to deportation. Unless I am wrong here, be very careful with how you deal with this immigration cases.

All the best!
Agreed 100%. Something isn't adding up with the OP, and if I were a VO and saw this in your file, I'd reject it on the basis of having sufficient proof that you want to come to Canada for reasons other than your spouse or fear of your homeland.