+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If nominated from a province, is there any mandatory time that we HAVE to stay ?

sadeelhaneef

Star Member
Sep 24, 2013
mf4361 said:
PR and Citizen both have the same rights in social benefits. Main difference is 1) passport, meaning PR can't benefit as Canadian in terms of travel convenience and representation outside Canada, 2) Run for political positions (MP, MLA, etc) 3) join the military

Also PR may lose status by not residing in Canada (see link above) while Citizenship is lifetime by right unless willfully giving it up.

You can choose to be PR and not be a Citizen for life. e.g. In fact a lot of Chinese immigrants do that because if they have Canadian citizenship they automatically loses Chinese citizenship. (Story for another time)

Again,
You do not automatically lose PR status by not living in Canada for 2 years within 5 years.
You do not lose your permanent resident status if your PR card expires.
Many thanks guys... much appreciated, it means I am on a safer side since I am thinking to enter and left canada and come back again next year (2017) in May. After getting PR card which is valid for 5 years.. I can again extend it further..

Could anyone please advise will the PR card extend again for 5 years?

Many thanks

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Again, you don't automatically lose your status by living outside Canada for too long. You lose it because an adjudicate determines you don't meet the requirement.

[Don't quote me here yet]
As long as you live in Canada in the past 2 years, it doesn't matter whether you lived outside of Canada after become PR, you meet the requirement of PR and renewal of PR card
[\Don't quote me here yet]

And as long you enter Canada with a valid PR card, you will have no problem about coming back.

Yoda24

Nov 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nabzter said:
Dear Asivad,

What if i land in tornoto and break my journey for 4-5 days there and have Saskatoon flight tickets for later dates and Hotel booking documents with me me at the time of landing to show them my intent of moving to saskatoon after the 4-5 days break.

Regards,
Nabzter
If you break your journey and plan to stay back in the Ontario or any other place, Border Security/ Immigration will doubt your intent of not planning to settle in the province nominated you. The worst case chances are they will not stamp your COPR and not allow you to enter Canada.
In my opinion the risk is not worth, please carry on with your journey to your final destination in one go.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Nabzter said:
Dear Asivad,

What if i land in tornoto and break my journey for 4-5 days there and have Saskatoon flight tickets for later dates and Hotel booking documents with me me at the time of landing to show them my intent of moving to saskatoon after the 4-5 days break.

Regards,
Nabzter
IMO that's enough to prove your intention of residing in S'toon. tell them you are visiting friends or sth in Toronto, then move on

If you have more proves like rental arrangement in SK, job waiting for you in SK, etc. bring it also.

CBSA isn't here to screw you over.

add:
CBSA officers are law enforcement agency. That means you are innocent until proven guilty before them. For them to accuse you of PNP settlement violation, they don't just need evidence from you trying to settle in province of nomination, they also need evidence that you are intentionally seeking settlement outside it.

E.g. from @Nebzter, Having days of gap between flights alone is fine. If they find out you have bought a house and got a job in Toronto. You are in trouble.

gouda333

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mf4361 said:
IMO that's enough to prove your intention of residing in S'toon. tell them you are visiting friends or sth in Toronto, then move on

If you have more proves like rental arrangement in SK, job waiting for you in SK, etc. bring it also.

CBSA isn't here to screw you over.

add:
CBSA officers are law enforcement agency. That means you are innocent until proven guilty before them. For them to accuse you of PNP settlement violation, they don't just need evidence from you trying to settle in province of nomination, they also need evidence that you are intentionally seeking settlement outside it.

E.g. from @Nebzter, Having days of gap between flights alone is fine. If they find out you have bought a house and got a job in Toronto. You are in trouble.
Guys

What I think for the people who will do short landing and return after , is to have connection flight to them PNP province and hotel booking as well and if u pass from the first landing officer and get copr stamp it so its your decision to go there or no as there will not be any restriction on you on that matter as also there no issue you can do on that short landing (no benefit to do any paper work in Canada in this short period )

Just you can do sin number (and it can be in the airport )

So enjoy on this short vacation and study Canada

On other hand there will be issue for pr card , which is the best case to have address in same PNP province and to update it with visa officer

this what every one need to think and prepare him/her self for it as we don't know what will be the response from them

And solution for that to inform them that still u don't have permanent address and they will update u to update your address to cic with a month by fax or online

xohairtoo

Nov 6, 2013
I'm a provincial Nominee of Nova Scotia, and as per instructions in CoPR my final destination should be Haifax, Nova Scotia.

I'm from Pakistan and there are no direct flights to Halifax. Hence I know that i have to get connecting flight via Montreal/Toronto to Haifax.

Questions are:

1. How much time will the process of landing and immigration take on Montreal/Toronto airport.
2. At least how much time span should be between arrival flight in Montreal/Toronto & departure flight to Halifax?
3. What is maximum time span i can stay at Montreal/Toronto and then go to Halifax (with my tickets confirmed for Halifax)?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
xohairtoo said:
I'm a provincial Nominee of Nova Scotia, and as per instructions in CoPR my final destination should be Haifax, Nova Scotia.

I'm from Pakistan and there are no direct flights to Halifax. Hence I know that i have to get connecting flight via Montreal/Toronto to Haifax.

Questions are:

1. How much time will the process of landing and immigration take on Montreal/Toronto airport.
2. At least how much time span should be between arrival flight in Montreal/Toronto & departure flight to Halifax?
3. What is maximum time span i can stay at Montreal/Toronto and then go to Halifax (with my tickets confirmed for Halifax)?
Answered you already in one of your many multiple postings.

KittYLoveCaD

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
Lived in SK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yoda24 said:
If you break your journey and plan to stay back in the Ontario or any other place, Border Security/ Immigration will doubt your intent of not planning to settle in the province nominated you. The worst case chances are they will not stamp your COPR and not allow you to enter Canada.
In my opinion the risk is not worth, please carry on with your journey to your final destination in one go.
I believe it would be possible accepted by Immigration Officer at the initial POE if you break the journey for sight seeing, visiting friend in a few days (on your way to new home - final destination) by convincing IO and proving (that you intend to proceed to and reside at the nominating province) you have:

- connecting (flights, rail, or any conveyance tickets to the nominating province;
- prior signed residential lease agreement in the nominating province;
- travel insurance (specifying primary location at nominating province) purchased upfront.

Some main activities in the gap days is scheduled to tell in case IO asks suspicious questions.

Nothing is to worry about this trip break in between/landing process in the landing interview with IO if your intention of "proceeding to and reside in the nominating province" is true and still true.

Just enjoy these days before focusing on residency in the province, that nominated you, with many challenging but exciting conditions.

;D ;) :D

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
KittYLoveCaD said:
I believe it would be possible accepted by Immigration Officer at the initial POE if you break the journey for sight seeing, visiting friend in a few days (on your way to new home - final destination) by proving (that you intend to proceed to and reside at the nominating province):

- connecting (flights, rail, or any conveyance tickets to the nominating province;
- prior signed residential lease agreement in the nominating province;
- travel insurance (specifying primary location at nominating province) purchased upfront.

Some main activities in the gap days is scheduled to tell in case IO asks suspicious questions.

Nothing is to worry about this trip break in between/landing process in the landing interview with IO if your intention of "proceeding to and reside in the nominating province" is true and still true.

Just enjoy these days before focusing on residency in the province, that nominated you, with many challenging but exciting conditions.

;D ;) :D
After landing you have total right to go anywhere in Canada. People are serious paranoid and don't understand our right as part of the society.

CBSA people don't just need suspicions to refuse you. They also need hard evidence to accuse you for intention of not residing in the province of nomination.

This would include a house bought in another province, a job offer letter, connections that confirms the story, etc.

A simple travel plan may raise some eyebrows but is not going to get you in travel. You can travel across Canada before settling in. You can even buy a car in Toronto and drive to Saskatoon while travel cities along the way. You have the right to do that.

Just answer truthfully

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
raheelpk said:
Guys,

How can I finish landing in Regina/Saskatoon SK? Pls guide or send link of earlier discussion.
Regina is close enough to Regway border. For Saskatoon, you can call CIC to make appointment 3-6 weeks in advance.

xohairtoo

Nov 6, 2013

I have now confirmed my flights, but i have one concern with respect to it.

Question is that after reaching Montreal I have a connecting flight with a gap of 23hrs, 45minutes to Hlaifax, Nova Scotia. I have also booked a hotel in Halifax for two days. With all this being confirmed will this be enough for the immigration officer as a proof for showing strong intention of Settlement in Nova Scotia. If not, then what more can i do.

KittYLoveCaD

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
Lived in SK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xohairtoo said:

I have now confirmed my flights, but i have one concern with respect to it.

Question is that after reaching Montreal I have a connecting flight with a gap of 23hrs, 45minutes to Hlaifax, Nova Scotia. I have also booked a hotel in Halifax for two days. With all this being confirmed will this be enough for the immigration officer as a proof for showing strong intention of Settlement in Nova Scotia. If not, then what more can i do.
You can refer to my post dated 27 May right above and make it more self-explanatory.

Your intention to proceed to (having a connecting flight ticket) and to reside in Halifax (booking hotels for the initial days of stay) remain true thus a day in between is not a problem (even you can have more days wandering around Montreal) and normal as you cannot fly directly to Halifax or the selected route is more economical, or whatever reasons able to justify.