+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If nominated from a province, is there any mandatory time that we HAVE to stay ?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hot2Cold said:
I want to clarify about 'landing' in the province. I'm SINP, but I cannot get a direct flight to any city in Saskatchewan. Most flights are through Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary. I understand that if I chose one of these airports, then I 'land' in that province. The only way for me to prove intent then, is to have an onward flight to a city in Sask. Will this affect my 'intent to reside' in any way.

For the address of the PR Card, I read in one of the previous posts that we can inform them that we do not have a current address, and that we will update it later. Is this possible, and if yes, can we then give an out of province address? Or use a forwarding service like UPS?

PS. I can get direct flights to Regina/Saskatoon but these will be through the US or Mexico, and would entail me obtaining a transit visa in either of these countries, and more complex and expensive flights.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
This won't be a problem assuming you have a connecting flight in the immediate future (same day, early next day etc). Recommend NOT to consider staying back for a few days at the initial destination to meet friends or family - that creates suspicion.

For the address, it is perfectly legit to give a hotel address for now because that's probably where you'll stay in the first few days. Then you can send in a change of address request via CSE once you've found a place. Recommend that you provide an in-province address on 'landing' - more to do with intent than anything else. You can change it to any Canadian address via CSE at a later date.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
This won't be a problem assuming you have a connecting flight in the immediate future (same day, early next day etc). Recommend NOT to consider staying back for a few days at the initial destination to meet friends or family - that creates suspicion.

For the address, it is perfectly legit to give a hotel address for now because that's probably where you'll stay in the first few days. Then you can send in a change of address request via CSE once you've found a place. Recommend that you provide an in-province address on 'landing' - more to do with intent than anything else. You can change it to any Canadian address via CSE at a later date.

Thanks. I see your point about not having a big gap between the landing in the initial destination and flying onwards to the province of nomination. I will plan the trip accordingly. Also noted the fact that I can change the address later via a CSE to ANY Canadian address.

gouda333

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hot2Cold said:
Thanks. I see your point about not having a big gap between the landing in the initial destination and flying onwards to the province of nomination. I will plan the trip accordingly. Also noted the fact that I can change the address later via a CSE to ANY Canadian address.
Hi everyone

just want to share my case i will make short land period ( i will stay one month then return back to my home country and after 9 months i will return back to settle in Canada )

my question is : in the first landing do i need to show that connection flight to the air port visa officer as i will land in Toronto and my PNP is different and i think is no use to go to the province

and if i show that flight connection then i didnt go what the problem ..

as logically i will not do nothing in this short period so why i should go to my PNP province ?

the main problem is on the address of PR which any one can inform the office that he dont have and can apply online or even by CSE

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
Same here. Once I arrive at the Canadian port, do I need to NOT having return ticket (so as to show my intention to land in a particular province permanently)?

(By the way, if your landing province is A, you should have ticket directly to A, not B, to show your intention to settle in A.)

gouda333 said:
Hi everyone

just want to share my case i will make short land period ( i will stay one month then return back to my home country and after 9 months i will return back to settle in Canada )

my question is : in the first landing do i need to show that connection flight to the air port visa officer as i will land in Toronto and my PNP is different and i think is no use to go to the province

as logically i will not do nothing in this short period so why i should go to my PNP province ?

the main problem is on the address of PR which any one can inform the office that he dont have and can apply online or even by CSE

gouda333

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gouda333 said:
Hi everyone

Hi senior

Can any one update me on this inquiry

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gouda333 said:
Hi everyone

Yes. You may be questioned by the immigration officer about your intention to reside in the nominating province and if they suspect that you don't intend to reside there, they can refuse you entry and/or initiate revocation of PR.

No problem. Once you clear immigration at landing, you are free to decide what to do.

Some people have their own ethical/moral reasons. If you don't have any of those, no reason.

Don't tell them you don't have a Canadian address. Give the immigration officer an address that is located within your nominating province. It can be the address of a friend, relative, hotel, whatever. You can change this address anytime over the next few days/weeks via CSE.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
specialmary said:
Same here. Once I arrive at the Canadian port, do I need to NOT having return ticket (so as to show my intention to land in a particular province permanently)?

(By the way, if your landing province is A, you should have ticket directly to A, not B, to show your intention to settle in A.)
The return ticket is irrelevant to the immigration officer helping you with the landing. You don't have to necessarily disclose to them that you aren't staying back for long or doing a 'short' landing and will move to Canada at a later date. Just inform them that you are landing, answer whatever questions they may have with short and simple sentences and get your COPR signed. Your return ticket is strictly your business, not theirs.

Intention to land in the province is established when you either show up at a port of entry in that province or you carry an onward ticket to that province even if you are showing up at another port of entry elsewhere in Canada.

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
Well, you are right, although I believe that immigration officers have the right to see your ticket.

For example, if you are going in Toronto due to Ontario PNP and your first stop is Vancouver, then you will land in Vancouver. The officer in Vancouver will obviously ask if you have the intention to land in Toronto, and one piece of evidence they may ask is your ticket to Toronto.

Immigration officer basically has the right to ask for any information and the right to see any physical information from you. For example, in a youtube video they showed the work of a border control officer, if they suspect a traveller's intention to travel to Canada, they may actually ask you to unlock your phone and see your phone schedule or any information on your phone. If you say your purpose as visiting the country but they have sufficient reasons to believe that you are going to work illegally in Canada, they can refuse your entry. Therefore, I believe that at the border the officer has the right to see whatever information or documents are on you. It may be a problem if you show your ticket to Toronto, which is also a return ticket.

Asivad Anac said:
The return ticket is irrelevant to the immigration officer helping you with the landing. You don't have to necessarily disclose to them that you aren't staying back for long or doing a 'short' landing and will move to Canada at a later date. Just inform them that you are landing, answer whatever questions they may have with short and simple sentences and get your COPR signed. Your return ticket is strictly your business, not theirs.

Intention to land in the province is established when you either show up at a port of entry in that province or you carry an onward ticket to that province even if you are showing up at another port of entry elsewhere in Canada.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
specialmary said:
Well, you are right, although I believe that immigration officers have the right to see your ticket.

For example, if you are going in Toronto due to Ontario PNP and your first stop is Vancouver, then you will land in Vancouver. The officer in Vancouver will obviously ask if you have the intention to land in Toronto, and one piece of evidence they may ask is your ticket to Toronto.

Immigration officer basically has the right to ask for any information and the right to see any physical information from you. For example, in a youtube video they showed the work of a border control officer, if they suspect a traveller's intention to travel to Canada, they may actually ask you to unlock your phone and see your phone schedule or any information on your phone. If you say your purpose as visiting the country but they have sufficient reasons to believe that you are going to work illegally in Canada, they can refuse your entry. Therefore, I believe that at the border the officer has the right to see whatever information or documents are on you. It may be a problem if you show your ticket to Toronto, which is also a return ticket.
Yes CBSA officers have the right to view your phone and flight ticket. But flight ticket that leaves Canada is irrelevant to CBSA at landing.

They only cares if you are establishing residency in the province of nomination. A connecting flight from YVR to YYZ (in your example) is more than enough to prove.

After landing, you have all the right to leave Canada. You can leave the next day you land if you wanted to. Nobody can stop you. Except you have to maintain your PR status by present in Canada for 2 years in 5 years, or you risk losing it (not necessarily does). But that's not CBSA's concern.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

@Asivad Anac is only saying you don't have to bring it up to the officer. If s/he asks, answer truthfully.

gouda333

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks Asivad for your advise

will i am now trying to find the connection flight

as i want to go there to spend some time and may be apply for SIN number and driving license

but from all what i red it best solution that PNP have connection flight if he /she will not land on phis /her province

sadeelhaneef

Star Member
Sep 24, 2013
mf4361 said:
Yes CBSA officers have the right to view your phone and flight ticket. But flight ticket that leaves Canada is irrelevant to CBSA at landing.

They only cares if you are establishing residency in the province of nomination. A connecting flight from YVR to YYZ (in your example) is more than enough to prove.

After landing, you have all the right to leave Canada. You can leave the next day you land if you wanted to. Nobody can stop you. Except you have to maintain your PR status by present in Canada for 2 years in 5 years, or you risk losing it (not necessarily does). But that's not CBSA's concern.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

@Asivad Anac is only saying you don't have to bring it up to the officer. If s/he asks, answer truthfully.
Well guys I am also planning to do same as brother Guoda stated, however I will go to Saskatchewan... @mf4361.. you have mentioned a link, I have checked it, could anyone please differentiate between Permanent Residency and Citizenship.

What will be our situation after getting PR card (valid for 5 years), will we apply for citizenship? I have checked on cic website it says that we should be in Canada for 1460 days in last 6 years, is it different from Permanent Residency..
Thanks in advance

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
sadeelhaneef said:
Well guys I am also planning to do same as brother Guoda stated, however I will go to Saskatchewan... @mf4361.. you have mentioned a link, I have checked it, could anyone please differentiate between Permanent Residency and Citizenship.

What will be our situation after getting PR card (valid for 5 years), will we apply for citizenship? I have checked on cic website it says that we should be in Canada for 1460 days in last 6 years, is it different from Permanent Residency..
Thanks in advance
PR and Citizen both have the same rights in social benefits. Main difference is 1) passport, meaning PR can't benefit as Canadian in terms of travel convenience and representation outside Canada, 2) Run for political positions (MP, MLA, etc) 3) join the military 4) vote in elections

Also PR may lose status by not residing in Canada (see link above) while Citizenship is lifetime by right unless willfully giving it up.

You can choose to be PR and not be a Citizen for life. e.g. In fact a lot of Chinese immigrants do that because if they have Canadian citizenship they automatically loses Chinese citizenship. (Story for another time)

Again,
You do not automatically lose PR status by not living in Canada for 2 years within 5 years.
You do not lose your permanent resident status if your PR card expires.

Add:
Forgot to mention one very important difference. PR cannot vote in elections.

FWSAPPLICANT

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
mf4361 said:
PR and Citizen both have the same rights in social benefits. Main difference is 1) passport, meaning PR can't benefit as Canadian in terms of travel convenience and representation outside Canada, 2) Run for political positions (MP, MLA, etc) 3) join the military

Also PR may lose status by not residing in Canada (see link above) while Citizenship is lifetime by right unless willfully giving it up.

You can choose to be PR and not be a Citizen for life. e.g. In fact a lot of Chinese immigrants do that because if they have Canadian citizenship they automatically loses Chinese citizenship. (Story for another time)

Again,
You do not automatically lose PR status by not living in Canada for 2 years within 5 years.
You do not lose your permanent resident status if your PR card expires.

"You can choose to be PR and not be a Citizen for life"

Interesting..........How this is possible, how can we maintain PR status for all life

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
FWSAPPLICANT said:
"You can choose to be PR and not be a Citizen for life"

Interesting..........How this is possible, how can we maintain PR status for all life
...you just keep renewing PR Card?

PR status is for life, if you don't lose it

Nabzter

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Nov-2015
Nomination.....
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-16
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
Up-Front
Med's Done....
Up-Front
Asivad Anac said:

Dear Asivad,

What if i land in tornoto and break my journey for 4-5 days there and have Saskatoon flight tickets for later dates and Hotel booking documents with me me at the time of landing to show them my intent of moving to saskatoon after the 4-5 days break.

Regards,
Nabzter