+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If nominated from a province, is there any mandatory time that we HAVE to stay ?

yellowknifer

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
As PR, you are free to live and work wherever you want in Canada. The only requirement is that you 'land' in the nominating province. Period.
Asivad, I am from NT and recently got my PR based on PNP. Technically I should do landing here but due to travel urgency I need to exit Canada for a few weeks. On my return my POE will be Toronto airport, so do you think there will be issue for me at POE? I have a job here, I am residing here since 2013.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
^ Should be no issue at all, you've already pretty much established you're settled in NT, but it would be nice (thought not necessary) if you can show a connecting flight to Yellowknife.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
yellowknifer said:
Asivad, I am from NT and recently got my PR based on PNP. Technically I should do landing here but due to travel urgency I need to exit Canada for a few weeks. On my return my POE will be Toronto airport, so do you think there will be issue for me at POE? I have a job here, I am residing here since 2013.
That's no problem. Show the officer at Toronto airport while landing for NT PNP your connecting flights to YK, some proof of establishment (driver license, rental agreement etc, anything). It happens all the time.

Nabzter

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Nov-2015
Nomination.....
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-16
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
Up-Front
Med's Done....
Up-Front
Asivad Anac said:
Not true.

Any contract is eventually governed by the Constitution. And a contract 'forcing' someone to stay in a province is illegal as it goes against the spirit of freedom and mobility rights. Additionally, you don't sign a contract. You sign a statement of intent. That statement of intent is proven true when you 'land' in that province. Which is why it is critical for PN applicants to 'land' in their nominating province. You can be turned back if you try to 'land' elsewhere. Once you've landed, you are a Canadian PR who is free to live and work anywhere inside Canada.
Hi Asivad,

I have a question, i am nominated by Saskatchewan but unfortunately there are no direct flights to Sask and i will have to land in Toronto or Edmonton then take a connecting flight, in this case what will happen ? will i be able to break by journey say for example stay in Toronto for a week then go to sask and start applying for PR and SIN.

Regards,
Nabzter

yellowknifer

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
mf4361 said:
That's no problem. Show the officer at Toronto airport while landing for NT PNP your connecting flights to YK, some proof of establishment (driver license, rental agreement etc, anything). It happens all the time.
For sure, I will have everything with me to be presented to the officer ...
Thanks for quick response. +1

yellowknifer

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
bellaluna said:
^ Should be no issue at all, you've already pretty much established you're settled in NT, but it would be nice (thought not necessary) if you can show a connecting flight to Yellowknife.
Certainly.

Appreciate your response and +1

FWSAPPLICANT

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
Recommend that you give an address in the same province when you land, don't take chances at immigration because you aren't a PR till they sign on your COPR and let you in the country. You can always change the address via CSE at a later date.
My Province of nomination is SINP, I will do a short landing after getting PR (hopefully). In my case I will take connecting flight from Toronto and have to fill the application form for PR at Toronto airport. During my short stay in SASKATOON I will stay in hotel. I don't know any person in Saskatoon my friends are living in Toronto. So in my case I can not provide the address of any person for PR card delivery who is living in the same province of nomination.

Do you think it will be a problem or alternatively I can provide the address of Hotel which I can change later on visa CSE

Reactions: ijaz_ch84

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
As PR, you are free to live and work wherever you want in Canada. The only requirement is that you 'land' in the nominating province. Period.
I want to clarify about 'landing' in the province. I'm SINP, but I cannot get a direct flight to any city in Saskatchewan. Most flights are through Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary. I understand that if I chose one of these airports, then I 'land' in that province. The only way for me to prove intent then, is to have an onward flight to a city in Sask. Will this affect my 'intent to reside' in any way.

For the address of the PR Card, I read in one of the previous posts that we can inform them that we do not have a current address, and that we will update it later. Is this possible, and if yes, can we then give an out of province address? Or use a forwarding service like UPS?

PS. I can get direct flights to Regina/Saskatoon but these will be through the US or Mexico, and would entail me obtaining a transit visa in either of these countries, and more complex and expensive flights.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

FWSAPPLICANT

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Hot2Cold said:
I want to clarify about 'landing' in the province. I'm SINP, but I cannot get a direct flight to any city in Saskatchewan. Most flights are through Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary. I understand that if I chose one of these airports, then I 'land' in that province. The only way for me to prove intent then, is to have an onward flight to a city in Sask. Will this affect my 'intent to reside' in any way.

For the address of the PR Card, I read in one of the previous posts that we can inform them that we do not have a current address, and that we will update it later. Is this possible, and if yes, can we then give an out of province address? Or use a forwarding service like UPS?

PS. I can get direct flights to Regina/Saskatoon but these will be through the US or Mexico, and would entail me obtaining a transit visa in either of these countries, and more complex and expensive flights.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
I have the same case, I want to know

forwarding service like UPS

How it Works?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
FWSAPPLICANT said:
I have the same case, I want to know

forwarding service like UPS

How it Works?
UPS and other shipping services, provide you a mailbox with a physical address (not a PO Box). They can either hold your mail for you, or have it forwarded to any address that you specify.

Have a look at these sites.

http://theupsstore.ca/services/mailboxes/
http://www.packandship.ca/what_we_do.php

There may be some restrictions on what they will forward. I already use a service that specifically prohibits shipping of PR Cards, so you will have to check if the service you choose allows this.

FWSAPPLICANT

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Hot2Cold said:
UPS and other shipping services, provide you a mailbox with a physical address (not a PO Box). They can either hold your mail for you, or have it forwarded to any address that you specify.

There may be some restrictions on what they will forward. I already use a service that specifically prohibits shipping of PR Cards, so you will have to check if the service you choose allows this.
Thanks a lot

FWSAPPLICANT

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Hot2Cold said:

Can we open a mailbox while sitting outside Canada? I guess no

Fahimeh_t

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Iran
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
I am SINP too and these are my questions too/..

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
FWSAPPLICANT said:
Can we open a mailbox while sitting outside Canada? I guess no
I tried to find a link to open the mailbox but could not do so. I think that since this is a physical mailbox, we have to be present to select one, sign contracts and make any security deposit etc.

Will try and find more info and post here soon.