+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If For Some Reason...

catjane

Dec 2, 2010
The person you are sponsoring is turned down after applying, do you get any of your money back? I can't think of any reason they would turn him down, except maybe that he is on Disability and I am unemployed. We have savings accounts, annuities and other assets, but not sure how the government views anything at this point. We are doing our own application. About how long does it take for outland? Can he travel to Canada even if he has not completed his status yet?

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Hi Catjane,
You cannot get any refound if for somewhat reason your application gets rejected. Only in case you withdraw an application before the sponsor is approved/ outland or first stage/ inland. I think from your posts that you and your husband are able to succesfully proove that you have a genuine relationship. The fact that you are unemployed does not affect your application as there is no financial requirement from the sponsor in case of spousal sponsorship. Applications processed via Buffalo in average seems to take up 5-6 months which is not a long time. Your husband can travel even if the application is not completed, he is visa exempt therefore he has an easier way to obtain visitor status. What me and others suggested previously still the same, if you are moving back from the U.S. with him, don`t take all your belongings at the same time and you should be fine. Good luck with everything!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
catjane said:
The person you are sponsoring is turned down after applying, do you get any of your money back? I can't think of any reason they would turn him down, except maybe that he is on Disability and I am unemployed. We have savings accounts, annuities and other assets, but not sure how the government views anything at this point. We are doing our own application. About how long does it take for outland? Can he travel to Canada even if he has not completed his status yet?
If you have paid the RPRF upfront then that is refunded to you, but not the sponsorship fee or primary applicant fee. The government is going to evaluate your application based on the genuineness of your relationship and not your savings and assets. There is nothing wrong with doing your own application... we did our own. The posted time for Outland is approximately 11 months as stated here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp but if you send in a complete application and it is fairly straight forward then you can usually be done much faster. This isnt the case in every situation though. Ours was mailed to CICM the beginning of May and we received the visa mid October. It took us two month to get the application completed before we sent it in.

He can travel to Canada as a US citizen,whether they let him in or for how long is always up to the immigration officer.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
catjane said:
There is a box on the form IMM1344 that asks what you want to do if the sponsorship is rejected, question 1.
But once they start processing the applicant all you would get back is the RPRF.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
catjane said:
Applicants are not refused for being on disability. Refusals usually have to do with suspected "non-genuine" relationships, criminal inadmissibility, or (less commonly) medical inadmissibility. Spousal/common-law applicants are excessive medical demand exempt, so having a medical condition does not make a spousal/common-law applicant inadmissible. Spousal applicants can be found medically inadmissible if they have a condition that makes them a health or safety threat to the Canadian public.

As far as you being ineligible to sponsor - there are no minimum income requirements for spousal sponsorships, but you can be found ineligible if it appears that you will not be able to meet the obligations of your undertaking, which is to ensure that you can provide for the basic needs (housing, food, etc) for your family member(s) for 3 years after they arrive in Canada so that they don't have to collect social assistance. If they do collect social assistance, you have to pay it back. Now, one of the considerations in this financial piece is whether the applicant is willing and able to support themselves if their sponsor can't meet the obligation. If you partner is on disability, that could factor into a negative assessment. If you have savings, assets, support from family, etc., to cover your unemployment, be sure you send evidence of all of that with the original submission of the application.